Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Toyota Unintended Acceleration Report Exonerates Electronics

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BigBaddWolf 
#1 ·

An investigation by NASA has cleared Toyota's electronics systems of causing the unintended acceleration phenomenon that was widely reported in 2010.

The Department of Transportation, who oversaw the investigation, released a statement claiming "NASA engineers found no electronic flaws in Toyota vehicles capable of producing the large throttle openings required to create dangerous high-speed unintended acceleration incidents."

Although the report effectively vindicates Toyota's claims that they were not at fault, the damage to the brand has been done, and is undoubtedly severe. Toyota recalled 8 million vehicles due to the scandal and paid nearly $50 million in regulatory fines.

More: Toyota Unintended Acceleration Report Exonerates Electronics on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#4 ·
Ya, and so does the public for faking these incidents just to jump on the imaginary bandwagon and try to get in on the feeding frenzy....jut like people that fake injuries in auto accidents just because they know the insurance company will probably pay them a little for their suffering.
The report just concludes that the unintended acceleration problem was NOT due to electronics and lays the "blame" on "sticky" accelerator pedals or floor mats; ie., mechanical NOT electronic problems. Hence, the recall and replacement of defective accelerator pedals and the guidance about floor mats.

Regardless of the cause, Toyota knew about the unintended acceleration problem for a LONG time and did nothing about it, which is why it was fined by the Fed Govt (so no apologies or refunds are due for prior fines) and they still have a lot of lawsuits to deal w/filed by the families of people who were actually killed because of this problem and by people who were injured but were able to survive despite the problem.

It's just a shame that Toyota did not properly deal with the problem when it first learned about it (rather than just denying or ignoring it) and its now paying (or is going to pay) the price for that neglect in sales, stock price and legal judgments.

#3 ·
Ya, and so does the public for faking these incidents just to jump on the imaginary bandwagon and try to get in on the feeding frenzy....jut like people that fake injuries in auto accidents just because they know the insurance company will probably pay them a little for their suffering.

Not to say that there are no real injuries out there (I still suffer spinal injuries sustained during two separate auto collisions that happened over 20 years ago. One we got rear-ended while I was passenger. One I got sideswiped by someone coming out into traffic from an alley. So, I know it happens....and I know there have been some genuine problems with some Toyotas, but they are clearly very very few and very very far between).

As for the hideous masses just jumping on the bandwagon though, bassturdz! :fu: :flame:

Go Toyota :clap:
Thank you for all the years of good quality vehicles.
We're not brainwashed into thinking you always get it right, but we're on your side on this one.

#6 ·
It is politics.. people have been using floormtes for years.. I guess only on toyotas, do they ever bunch up, or slide up n cause acclerator issues.. um no...I did the same thing on a Crown vic 15 years ago.. almost rearended a cop. every one want a easy piece of pie, Toyota just happens to be the one getting baked at the moment...Give it time, I bet its some one else on the chopping block in a few years after they run Toyota out of Biz! Oh wait wasnt it Ford just a few years ago every one was after....?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.