Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum - View Single Post - PHX Newbie - need help picking a FJ80
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
timkesq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
PHX Newbie - need help picking a FJ80

Dear All,

So I love the FJ Cruiser, but quite frankly can't see myself spending that much on it right now. So the alternative is a used FJ80 (early 90s Land Cruiser). I am debating between two that I have checked out.

First Option - $4,500, 1993 Land Cruiser, no lockers, two owners, clean car fax, and looks good. 165K miles. Radiator was replaced recently and heat does NOT work (I am concerned that this means the heater core or radiator has issues). Test drove the car - it seems fine and doesn't make funny noises. Tires in great shape.

Second option - $3,500. 1993 Land Cruiser, again no lockers, three owners, one prior accident many years back, looks good. 235K miles. Not sure what major repairs have been done other than what the seller says (no paperwork). Test drove the car - seems fine, but concerned that there is some hidden latent issues. Tires are good, not great.

So my question - what should I look for? I'm not really a car expert and don't know much about FJ80s. Also, at what mileage point does a 1993 Land Cruiser need lots of work to keep it running?

My budget is actually closer to 7K on one of these, but they are HARD to come across in the Phoenix market. I don't want to buy one and then spend 3K on repairs, ending up with a vehicle that cost more than KBB value.

Help.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome