Fishing in or around Ouray? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2008 FJCruiser Summit For all threads pertaining to the 2nd annual FJCruiser Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mattmainster
(Thread Starter)
Fishing in or around Ouray?

Anyone plan on bringing your fishing gear? I hear there are a couple local rivers and lakes that are fairly well populated with trout.

If others have plans on doing any fishing, I may just have to pack a couple poles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Fishing in or around Ouray?

I always have my compact fly fishing pole Swissarmysuv and i were planning on fishing last year but time just didn't permit. License is pretty expensive as well..not sure about the Uncompahgre river in town that thing looks gross and flows pretty fast..... further down near montrose/ridgeway there are some great spots though. Black canyon on the gunnison river is supposed to be the best spot.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I always fished the little stream west of TElluride with great success and its gorgeous!

They call me JEEBUS!

“Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.”
Kinky Friedman
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

What is the cost for an out of state fishing license? Do you have to buy a trout stamp as well? (In Iowa we do)

Past: 2007 Black Diamond FJC - totaled
Present: 2012 Trail Team Edition Radiant Red

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
mattmainster previously said: View Post
Anyone plan on bringing your fishing gear? I hear there are a couple local rivers and lakes that are fairly well populated with trout.

If others have plans on doing any fishing, I may just have to pack a couple poles!
Yeah, there definitely are quite a few excellent fishing spots in the area. I will be bringing my gear this year. As far as good spots go, it depends what kind of fishing you will be doing. Ill just assume you won't be bringing a boat...

Good rivers for fly fishing are the San Miguel, Cimarron, Delores, and Gunnison. I've been on the San Miguel and had a lot of luck. There are mountain creeks too if that is more your style. As far as lakes and ponds go for cast and fly fishing, there are some excellent options. The Alta lakes, Trout lake, Priest lake, and Silver lake around Telluride are good. Near Ouray, you will have the Blue lakes, Ptarmigan lake, and East Dallas lake. The latter lakes are all pretty small. I did some fly fishing on Alta lakes(small but BEAUTIFUL) and Trout lake (bigger) last year and had some luck.

Talk to the owners or employees at some of the small fly fishing shops in Ouray or Telluride. They have been a lot of help to me.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
CRAW previously said: View Post
What is the cost for an out of state fishing license? Do you have to buy a trout stamp as well? (In Iowa we do)
Out of state annual license is $56, but Im assuming you won't spend that much time fishing here, so you should get the 5 day license - $21, or the 1 day license - $9. There is also a one dollar SAR and PEAC fee. The license will also include a habitat stamp fee of $5. Each of these fees is necessary to fish/hunt in CO. You can also pay $5 for the option of using a second pole. You will probably spend about $27 total to fish for more than a day. There is no additional Trout stamp or fee. That is the majority of what we catch up there. Though I think Cutthroat trout are illegal to keep, but am not sure of this for all lakes/rivers. I doubt you will see any. I would recommend picking up a license, its a lot of fun up here.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Send a message via AIM to mattmainster
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the info. I think I'll do that!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
I did some fly fishing on Alta lakes(small but BEAUTIFUL) and Trout lake (bigger) last year and had some luck
Alta lakes is seriously the most beautiful place flyfishing is a bit hard those fish are smaaart!
Trout lake no luck until i went below the dam and caught 5 huge rainbows it was awesome!

They call me JEEBUS!

Kinky Friedman
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to loup407 Send a message via Skype™ to loup407
Lifetime Supporting Member

CUClimber is right on..there is a lot of fishing in the area. The 'Pagre near Ouray is pretty dead due to mining activity, but under the dam on the other side of Ridgeway there is great fishing, even through the middle of Montrose.
I'm in the area a fair bit in Summer and Fall to flyfish; if the runoff subsides by then, there is world class fishing to be had in many places. We were planning to NOT partake of trail runs so we could fish (although we are reconsidering that concept, as we can fish any time)

Titanium 4x4 MT6, OF, CQ, UR, black TRD wheels, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, TRD Quikshifter kit, Man-A-Fre skids, Gobi Stealth with Fourtreks Hi-Lift and axe/shovel mounts, Icon coilovers/Icon 2.5 and ToyTec Rear Coils, Firestone airbags, ARB front and rear bumper, Warn VR10000, BFG MT 255/85/16, ARB dual compressor, Cobra 75WXST CB with Bandi Mount, National Luna Dual Battery setup, Man-a-Fre aux fuel tank, sPod electrical management, Toyota Gen 6 Nav system, LED light bar, A/T Horizon trailer, Colorado plates.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Forum Superstar

YEp Black Canyon is the place below the blue reservoir.. it's supposed to be awesome its really not that far from Ouray either.

They call me JEEBUS!

Kinky Friedman
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
loup407 previously said: View Post
.... We were planning to NOT partake of trail runs so we could fish (although we are reconsidering that concept, as we can fish any time)
If I was going, that would have been my plan...sign up for a trail or two then spend the rest of the time hitting some new waters.

If any of you guys are ever up here in Northern Utah(Heber Valley/Wasatch Back) get in touch with me and I will take you to some great spots. I live only 5 minutes away from the Middle Provo River(tailwater) and with about 10 more degrees increase in water temp. our Green Drake hatch will be in full force!!

With all this talk about fishing I think will build a flyfishing/FJ thread in the near future. That way I don't hi-jack this thread up anymore.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2008 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in