Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Dogs at the Summit.

7K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  Gldnrtrvrlvr 
#1 ·
I will be bringing my Dog to the Summit, How did people handle their dogs last year at the summit? This is my first Summit.

#4 ·
poo bags, leash long and short, water/food (of course) Diphenhydramine hydrochloride (benadryl) and make sure people are cool with your doggie or other dogs before letting out any lead.

I'll have my hands full this year as well with2!

#5 ·
I will be bringing both my Black & White beauties, the 1 year old and the 12 year old. Come by and say howdy.

Attachments

#6 ·
We are still teetering with what to do with mollie dogginz. She gets a little nervous off-road, but I'm sure would handle it. We mostly worry about her in the hot car when we are places she can't be, and leaving her in a crate in the back at night since our hotel will not allow dogs (she's a sheepdog so she gets territorial and barky at night). We have a good family friend who boards dogs and has a special place in his heart for black and white australians. He has offered to take her, so for the first time since we registered we are wondering if we should leave her with him. This is a harder decision than deciding to leave our 1-year-old daughter with grandma, please help.

#13 ·
I think that if your dog has never been off roading before, there is no telling how she will respond to the trails up at the summit. My dog has never gone on trails with me so this will be a new experience for her. if anything, I can handle her since it is only me and her. If your family friend has offered to take her in then that might be some stress of your shoulders but then again what is a summit experience without enjoying it with loved ones.:cheers:

#7 ·
We will have Rubi for sure, now that she has earned her namesake by taking the trail on.

Here is how she spent much of the trip, clearly in distress...

On "watch" at the campsite at Buck Island Lake...

And, just hanging out at the campsite at Trumbull Lake after the Rubithon event...

#9 ·
I'm bringing Moa (5 year old Australia Sheppard mix) with me this year. She has a deep bark, but very friendly (tail wagging). However, she thinks my FJ Cruiser is actually hers. She will follow the kids around at the sponsored evening meals, because she recognizes that kids offer the best chance of a snack. No she won't eat the kids, but kids are more likely to spill/drop food from their plates.

#15 ·
Every year we go to Navajo Lake, Utah. The instant we signal off the freeway she goes nuts, stands on her two rear legs, just dancing, looking out the window, 26 miles later she even more excited at the turn in to the camping area, by the time we are at our site she is completely spaz. Gota get the chipmonks, never caught a one, but she still hunts relentlessly. They are much smarter than we think, as they rap us aournd their little paws and make us do the stupidist things. The greatest friend I have ever had, well behind the wife.

#16 ·
I will Fritz with us. Jan PIC of the month. Can't wait. Still have some training to do but should be good to go. Just have to work out the FJ sickness thing.

Eagle that is so true. I had a Beagle and when i told him "ready to go JEEPING (sorry gang) he was in the Jeep before i could get near it. The club used to play tricks on him like when all the J____ were lined up someone yelled get in the J___ and he took about 10 steps and stopped and just stared, which one. Another time i was in a 4 runner (because J___ was in the shop) and had a buddies J___ next to me at the cabin and i yelled lets go and he ran up in between the two of them and looked at the 4 runner and then jumped into the J___. Guess he made his choice. They just know......

#19 ·
Last year there were people carrying dogs in the tent near the children. It made me very uncomfortable and I don't understand why they'd need to have a dog with them at a family event like this. I understand its their right, but come on...

:worried:

#22 ·
Beautiful pics ALL!!!! I have 3! Two Black and White, rough coat BCs and a rescue mix! My girls are awesome as well!!! If we come, I think the only one that I would bring is the puppy. She will be 2 in August, but is still just a huge PUPPY!!! She is running around right now with a squeaker toy just a going!!!!

I agree with all the posts on the picking up the poo and just being a responsible pet owner. We all know how to do that!!!

#27 ·
Heydee ho...
Sooo looking forward to my first summit, with our first FJ!
We travel everywhere with our two golden retrievers, and my advice to those first time dog off roaders..

DON'T CODDLE their fear/worry!
That actually confirms to them, that they are "correct" in worrying!
If you laugh it off, combined with a few "lay down" commands, it show them that YOU(their pack leader) are not worried, and that you are STILL acting pack leader!
(same applied to any situation they "shouldn't" be worried in, ie; thunderstorms, vacuums, etc..)

I do echo the previous posts on the short leash(some dogs ON leash have had bad experiences, and this many dogs, in a new place, is sensory overload, so be mindful) pick up after them.

We want to be looked upon, as good FJ/dog owners, so we can keep "playing" together, wherever we go. (I show dogs, so we strive to keep a good reputation going) :clap:

Aside from that, ginger snaps(tummy issues) and plenty of water!
WOuld love to get a group doggy photo(with handlers OBViously!! ):clap:
Soooo excited!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.