To Summit or not to Summit - Page 13 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2009 FJCruiser Summit For all threads pertaining to the 3rd annual FJCruiser Summit

View Poll Results: Will you register and be a part, just visit, skip it, or something else
Register and be a part 61 44.20%
Not register and visit to say hello 5 3.62%
Skip it 61 44.20%
Something other then the above 11 7.97%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Lifetime Supporting Member
Thumbs up Re: To Summit or not to Summit

Quote:
Gottagetone previously said: View Post
Caravan might be a possibility but driving straight through is not. The drive up the million dollar highway from Durango to Ouray is breathtaking and needs to be done while the sun is up. On top of that if you are tired that drive quite possibly could be deadly.....no chit.

Here are a few images:

Take note that there is a surprising lack of guard rails.
I think I heard someone talking about wanting to drive straight through New Mexico, but then hitting the highway up from there in the day time. Perhaps staying over-night in the Durango area, and heading North from there the next morning.

I totally agree. That place is so beautiful, sometimes I consider 'accidentally' leaving something behind, just so I have an excuse to have to go back and get it.

Quote:
thenookie previously said: View Post
...You can camp really, really cheap !
Actually, you can camp for free if you do it right.

Quote:
BlackCherryota previously said: View Post
I would love to go!

I'm not sure what the distribution of FJ owners is on this site, but having a "national" summit in one of the western-most states of the continental U.S. doesn't make much sense to me. Granted it looks gorgeous out there, but the trip is just not practical for some, if not most, on the east coast.

Than again, I suppose the terrain in middle America probably leaves something to be desired, eh? (for lack of mountain ranges anyway)
Ya, the only way I could see doing a national gathering of FJs in the Middle of the country (I lived in MN for the first 30 years of my life) would be in the winter. It's just usually too humid and full of mosquitos in the summer.

If we did the winter thing, we could have ice races.

I like it here though, and won't be voting it away.

Come on out to paradise.

It won't be the same without you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage
Re: To Summit or not to Summit

Quote:
Gottagetone previously said: View Post
Caravan might be a possibility but driving straight through is not. The drive up the million dollar highway from Durango to Ouray is breathtaking and needs to be done while the sun is up. On top of that if you are tired that drive quite possibly could be deadly.....no chit.
After getting back from Ouray last summer I was talking to a friend of mine who drives a semi for a local hospital bed manufacturer. I was telling him about the Million Dollar Highway and he got all excited. He said last year he was delivering in Arizona/New Mexico and had to get to Montrose.

He was being told by dispatch to take the long, long way around but decided "there's no reason not to take this perfectly good state highway". In the dark, he drove from Durango to Montrose and said he about dirtied his pants many times over from the black voids of the drop offs/canyons, absence of guardrails, and feeling that he really shouldn't be there.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #123 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
After getting back from Ouray last summer I was talking to a friend of mine who drives a semi for a local hospital bed manufacturer. I was telling him about the Million Dollar Highway and he got all excited. He said last year he was delivering in Arizona/New Mexico and had to get to Montrose.

He was being told by dispatch to take the long, long way around but decided "there's no reason not to take this perfectly good state highway". In the dark, he drove from Durango to Montrose and said he about dirtied his pants many times over from the black voids of the drop offs/canyons, absence of guardrails, and feeling that he really shouldn't be there.
Ahhhh, Colorado mountain highways....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tlc4dr

we felt that way driving the FJ and the sun shinning, there is serious pucker factor in play on the road

Truxx 3" lift
Aries Bull Bar
PIAA 510 series Fog Lights
Hella FF75 Driving Lights
BFG KO's 285/70/17's
SIRIUS Radio w/ 6.5" Bazooka Tube
Demello Sliders
ALL for ME
Shorty got a Lexus
post #125 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Yep.. Even in my little Jeep.. Ron

Quote:
tlc4dr previously said: View Post
we felt that way driving the FJ and the sun shinning, there is serious pucker factor in play on the road

Ain't no pockets on a shroud
post #126 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not making it this year. Had a great time the first two years. Maybe they will move it for next year.

'07 Titanium metalic--SOLD
Expedition One Bumper with Bullbar with Superwinch
Toytec Light racing C/O, Toytec 2" spring in rear
All Pro Sliders, Bud Built Skids
285x70x17 MT/R

Aisle 3.......G-4 Club

TLCA #16716
post #127 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We drove from Durango via Silverton and Ouray to Montrose one May in a Sequoia during daylight. No problem, except for onset vertigo. Daytime is the time to do it so you don't miss the scenery and the edge of the road. Beautiful area.

F.Y.I. Avoid Wyoming, especially next month. Trust me, Wyoming before June 1st is windy, miserable and the locals will be the same. So, plan your vacation to bypass WY in May...especially since that's when we'll be navigating the Big Ti*s.

TLCA member, '07 Voodoo, Auto w/Upgrade Pkg. #2, Conv. Pkg., SAB and SCA. Built: 4/2006
Previous: '96-FZJ80, '03-UZJ100....
post #128 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We made the mistake of showing up and not registering in 2007. We couldn't get there before Friday night, and we felt it was a waste to sign up and miss out on 2 days of trails. They (whoever THEY were) were not amused. We bought a couple of t-shirts and did our own thing on Saturday and Sunday morning. We had a blast. Hung out in Ouray and Telluride. Did Imogene Pass. It was great.

But we are actually taking off 4 days, have registered and we're signing up for REAL trails with other FJs this year.

See you there! (But we're not staying at the Best Western....we're camping!)

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2009 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in