My first Summit! Questions... - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2009 FJCruiser Summit For all threads pertaining to the 3rd annual FJCruiser Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My first Summit! Questions...

Greetings, needless to say I'm ecstatic to be coming to the Summit this year. A good friend of mine and my pops are planning on making it as well. I havent registered or anything yet, but I've marked the calendar.

By the time Summit rolls by, I will (should) have an OME lift, with some 285 Firestone M/T's and Demello sliders installed. I really want some trails that are challenging- not hardcore trails, but not just dirt roads either... I have read the descriptions and they don't help me much... any recommendations? 4-LO is my friend.

Second, my dad really wants to camp, but I'm thinking of a hotel maybe. Which one is preferred and are there any campgrounds where a lot of FJ'ers will be?

Thanks for all the help, I'll see you all in July!

Smokey Mountain Cruisers

-
The Tale of Father Jenkins (My build):
---------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...18s-build.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-

LIVERPOOL F.C. EST. 1892
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Ravens_Edge Send a message via Skype™ to Ravens_Edge
Re: My first Summit! Questions...

you can do every trail on the list with a stock rig, that said, Engineer, which is part of the Alpine Loop has its tough spots and Black Bear can have you sweating bullets. every trail is extremely enjoyable in my own opinion and all have wonderful photo opportunities. as for camping there is a campground in Ouray and that's probably where i will be. Ouray is small so everywhere is kinda an FJ hangout

I got the power, want to see something in 3D? im your huckleberry!

stop working hard for your ideas make them work hard for you. imagine one improvement and find 3 more things it can also do.

'07 voodoo blue "North Star"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

All of the trails at Ouray are very easy and only a couple spots where you may need spotting. A stock FJ will have no problem. In fact I saw a Honda Civic driving along Ophir pass last summit.

-Mark

08' Black Diamond FJ

View my build
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post1145216
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Celtic Cruiser

Imogine is fun and there are places where you can challenge yourself more if needed near the top (ask Air to Air). The KOA is right down the street and there is another campgroud right in town. Black bear while pucker you up and Ophir is a waste of time.

08 SANDSTORM {Clarification} Celtic in this usage is pronounced "Keltic" refering to the European Barbarion tribe, not "Seltic" as in a basketball team.:
Gallup, New Mexico/FJ Cruiser

OME Heavy suspension, ARB air lockers front and rear, Safari snorkel, Tuffy security boxes rear and center, All -Pro: (upper A-arms, front winch bumper, and shock skids), Mile Marker 9500 winch, Custom brush guard, TRD alloy wheels, Rear scuba, OEM sliders, CB w/Bandi mount and 6 foot whip antenna.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)

Quote:
enjoi1018 previously said: View Post
Greetings, needless to say I'm ecstatic to be coming to the Summit this year. A good friend of mine and my pops are planning on making it as well. I havent registered or anything yet, but I've marked the calendar.

By the time Summit rolls by, I will (should) have an OME lift, with some 285 Firestone M/T's and Demello sliders installed. I really want some trails that are challenging- not hardcore trails, but not just dirt roads either... I have read the descriptions and they don't help me much... any recommendations? 4-LO is my friend.

Second, my dad really wants to camp, but I'm thinking of a hotel maybe. Which one is preferred and are there any campgrounds where a lot of FJ'ers will be?

Thanks for all the help, I'll see you all in July!
Glad to hear you will be joining us.

Yes the start of California and Alpine loop trails offered will start on Engineer. A few spots where people sometimes have to try more than once to get up a step. Imogene is my fav. Again a couple of places that needs a bit of technique.

As said there is a KOA just north of town. Also the 4J+1+1 only like 4 blocks from the Best western where the stuff happens. Or there's a campground that I think is Forest service, the Amphitheater I think it is called.

I can find some links for you if you want to go the camping route.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Sockless Superstar

Lifetime Supporting Member

On just about every trail you can find a challenge if you look. If you want to just drive along in an easy fasion you can do that as well. Even the "easy" trails can give a bit of a pucker factor due to sheer height. Alpine loop is an "easy" trail, but while climbing you get a definite feeling of high anxiety as the drop off to the side is death.

Camping will be awesome, especially if you are at Ampitheater and have a view of town. For me, I like to take a hot shower after being on the trail all day and before heading into town for beers and dinner. While I love to camp, when I am doing some other activity that takes time (fishing, off-roading etc) I like the luxury of a hotel room. To me, camping should be about camping and enjoying the camp, not as a cheaper way to sleep. Just my .02

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to tlc4dr

we went last year and while the trails are not real "challenging" they do offer their own pucker factor,even for a dirt trail. we preferred the motel stay with hot showers and better sleeping, taking into account that the days are long and the air is thin. this year decided on a condo and we are sharing we friends that we met last year, either way you will have an experience that you will not forget and make friends for life there. it is truly a great time and allot of fun

Truxx 3" lift
Aries Bull Bar
PIAA 510 series Fog Lights
Hella FF75 Driving Lights
BFG KO's 285/70/17's
SIRIUS Radio w/ 6.5" Bazooka Tube
Demello Sliders
ALL for ME
Shorty got a Lexus
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Check out the Amphitheater..."rustic" camping as they say with an amazing setting. After some time on the trails you can head into town and relax in the hot springs & pool (they have showers in the community center located at the hot springs so it works out great...then off to a great dinner and evening down the street!)

| '07 | Titanium Silver | 4x4 | 6-Speed MT | CQ | UR #2 | Z1 | PPO | GY |

Mods to date: Bridgestone REVO 285/70/17, CB: COBRA 75WXST, Brandi mt/4' Firestick, PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus, Engel 45 w/slide lock, Custom Rear Storage Assy, Garmin 276 GPS w/remote antena, 12VDC outlets, Dirty Parts Dual Battery Kit, BadBoy Horn, Tuhle Roof Top Carrier w/Custom Mount, Shovel & Axe Mount, HalGuard Fire Extinguisher, Scan Gauge II, CO2 Air Tank Kit, Sliders, Brush Guard

Future mods: Install ICON Billet Lwr Trailing Links, Install Parrot 3200 Kit, OME Lift, Skids
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

The trails are not hard. You might have scrapage problems with some areas of Engineer but it's all good. The Summit is more about friends, trails, scenery, and FJs.

Summit.

Not Summit.

You can outrun a Crown Vic, but you can't outrun a MOTOROLA.

DO ROCKS!!! www.demello-offroad.com

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2009 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in