2010 FJ Summit Safety Inspection - Page 5 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2010 FJCruiser Summit For all threads pertaining to the 4th annual FJCruiser Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: 2010 FJ Summit Safety Inspection

Thinking some more about safety inspections. For many, many, many years I played various roles in a large event in the desert involving a lot f people. This wasn't Ouray - this was "if you're not prepared it's not hard to die" country. And there were lists for first timers, guides, suggestions, instructions on how to survive (and thrive) in the environment, but no "safety inspection" per se. Rather, the tickets to the event spelled out rather clearly: "You voluntarily assume the risk of death or serious injury by attending."

Events run by the TLCA can have safety inspections -- and SHOULD -- because it's a way to protect the organization (insert all of the arguments about the range of vehicle ages and conditions, etc., here). But the fact is that we live in a big wide world, with, occasionally, big and bad threats. A few live in Ouray, just like anywhere else. Some don't. But self-reliance (or, perhaps more aptly, 'group reliance', in reality) is a core feature of being an outdorsperson (and could be more so, IMHO).

It seems to me that more important than safety checks would be "understanding checks". That is, "Do you understand that you need food, water, warm clothing, some tools, sturdy shoes and a good pair of gloves, a first aid kit, a communications system, hopefully a bunch of maps and compass and the knowledge to use them, and a working brain between your ears?"

Whether that query is something suited for the chaos of lining up for trips each morning or some other time/place/mode is another question. But I am definitely more interested with what's going on in peoples brains than whether their first aid kits was last checked six hours ago or six months ago.

Suzie ('SUZ') the '07-6MT-FJC
TLCA#17822 / FCC:KD0ECN
----
Thanks To: BajaRack, BF Goodrich, Budbuilt, Lucrum, MetalTech, Total Chaos, Icon, Springtail, Tuffy, URD and Outrider Suspension Armor
----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Lifetime Supporting Member

^^^^^ yep
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)

I just completed registration and there was a section dedicated to being properly equipped. The question was "do you have and understand how to use the follwing?" Listed were first aid kit, fire extinguisher, CB, Hi-lift, straps, winch and more and you checked yes or no. This would not be a safety inspection but it is an excellant way to get those attending to understand what they should have. I don't remember it from last year so I guess it's new and I applaud the Summit leaders for adding it.

Ace

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2010 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in