Complete offroad NEWBIE going to the Summit - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2010 FJCruiser Summit For all threads pertaining to the 4th annual FJCruiser Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Complete offroad NEWBIE going to the Summit

If I can get in there early this year I'd like to take a couple days and explore the non-Summit trails/lesser known trails and some of the legal spur trails.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
If I can get in there early this year I'd like to take a couple days and explore the non-Summit trails/lesser known trails and some of the legal spur trails.
poughkeepsie!

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7470_2.gif
Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post

Yup thieves are stupid, that's why they are thieves.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to PA-NC Cruiser Send a message via Yahoo to PA-NC Cruiser

Quote:
edlsen previously said: View Post
I am signed up for the Summit and here is the trail schedule that I have signed up for:

Thursday: Alpine Loop (Engineer and Cinnamon Passes) at: 7:00 AM
Friday: California Pass and Corkscrew Gulch at: 9:30 AM
Saturday: Imogene Pass to Ophir Pass at: 9:30 AM

I live in Iowa at an elevation of 870 feet. I know that we (two kids and a wife that's afraid of heights) will be going above 12,000 feet. The most offroading I have done is driving through a snowy pasture and hitting the "B" level roads for a little mud action. I have NO rock experience.

This is my daily driver so I don't want to break anything. My wife is going with, but I am going to have to have her sit in the backseat or something.

Does anyone think I bit off more than I can chew or should I be okay? IS there anywhere that requires a spotter or anywhere that I will dragging bottom? I have 3 inches of lift and 34 inch tires.

I can't wait, but I worked my butt off convincing the wife that this is the vacation for us this year so I don't want to have to wonder if I did the right thing. Remember I really have no offroading experience. Are we going to be okay?

Jared
MAN, am I JEALOUS.....I ALMOST had the wife convinced....but she asked that I wait until next year, when our son will be 5 1/2...she wants to go, I want to go, but she is weary of a road trip from NC to CO....I even offered to cash in FF miles and fly her and the boy to Albuquerque, pick them up and make the 5 hr drive to Ouray....but, she has plans for the FF miles (her parents anniversary in NYC) asked that I wait until next year........soooo....needless to say, I WANT to be there, but I will have to wait until next year......

2010 Trail Teams Edition - Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG A/Ts, J-Stanley Custom Shifter, Underarmor by BudBuilt, Ricochet LCA guards, Hardline Fabrication/Toy Outfitters Rear Lower Links, Outrider Suspension Armor (rear lower link mount and shock armor), PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....AND the OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition) from our good friends at www.orangeboxxfabrication.com

www.ncfjcruisers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I am jealous too. Wish I could say I had been to Ouray but it is just too freakin far for me. I will try and suffice this week at Rausch Creek.... 4 days until 80 other FJs are all lined up to have a blast.

Enjoy Summit. Remember if you don't have pics it never happened!!!!

'07 FJ, C package, 5A, Ti

mods so far
Mod, mod, and more mods and it still looks way to friggin' stock.....grrrrr

Love my truck.....Love my forum

http://www.fjnortheasters.org/forum/

The Northeastest Northeaster
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to PA-NC Cruiser Send a message via Yahoo to PA-NC Cruiser

Quote:
NBFJCruz previously said: View Post
I am jealous too. Wish I could say I had been to Ouray but it is just too freakin far for me. I will try and suffice this week at Rausch Creek.... 4 days until 80 other FJs are all lined up to have a blast.

Enjoy Summit. Remember if you don't have pics it never happened!!!!
It is quite far for me....but I have driven cross country, from Pennsylvania to California in the past....before the wife.....LOL. I have since taken her on a few "extended road trips" on a few vacations to hopefully "break her in", the wife that is...not the FJ.....

Seattle - Portland - Port Angeles, WA - Victoria, BC - Vancouver, BC - Seattle

San Fran - Napa Valley - Lake Tahoe - Reno, NV - Yosemite NP - Sequoia NP - Pacific Coast Hwy - San Fran.....

Entire Outer banks, South-North, NC

Just to name a few....so the FJC Summit next year is on the top of "our" lists......

2010 Trail Teams Edition - Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG A/Ts, J-Stanley Custom Shifter, Underarmor by BudBuilt, Ricochet LCA guards, Hardline Fabrication/Toy Outfitters Rear Lower Links, Outrider Suspension Armor (rear lower link mount and shock armor), PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....AND the OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition) from our good friends at www.orangeboxxfabrication.com

www.ncfjcruisers.com
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tlc4dr

you will have a blast, I have a serious fear of heights and made it down Blackbear with no problems. this is going to be our 3rd year and looking forward to it again. The Trail Leaders and Tail Gunners ( the last first and last rigs in your group will get you thru it with no problems look forward to seeing you there... it is addicting

Truxx 3" lift
Aries Bull Bar
PIAA 510 series Fog Lights
Hella FF75 Driving Lights
BFG KO's 285/70/17's
SIRIUS Radio w/ 6.5" Bazooka Tube
Demello Sliders
ALL for ME
Shorty got a Lexus
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
tlc4dr previously said: View Post
you will have a blast, I have a serious fear of heights and made it down Blackbear with no problems. this is going to be our 3rd year and looking forward to it again. The Trail Leaders and Tail Gunners ( the last first and last rigs in your group will get you thru it with no problems look forward to seeing you there... it is addicting
You are NOT helping me cope......LOL....

www.ncfjcruisers.com
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Will be on the same runs as you on Fri & Sat, I picked later start times this year so I wouldn't have to rush around as much. Starting early for the Alpine is a good idea, its a long day but alot of fun. Doing Black Bear on Thursday @ 9:30. Your FJ will be fine and if you have any questions ask the trail leader for help/advice, let him know its your first time out and they will keep a eye on you as well as the others on the trail run, FJ'ers take care of other FJ'ers. Definately get a CB (I have a hand held), being able to communicate adds alot of fun. See you at the summit!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
PA-NC Cruiser previously said: View Post
MAN, am I JEALOUS.....I ALMOST had the wife convinced....but she asked that I wait until next year, .......I WANT to be there, but I will have to wait until next year......
FJSummit 2011.......imagine that!

FJSummit.org
Stealth Maestro T2 Shmoove 2010 2010 TLCA member 17227

"FJSummit is a gathering of family and friends who, incidentally, drive bad-ass Toyotas "
T2
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to WILSON

Quote:
t2cruiser previously said: View Post
FJSummit 2011.......imagine that!
My salesman told me it would be discontinued after 2010.

Back in the Toyota family...4Runner TRD Pro Edition

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2010 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in