Keeping the Altitude in Mind at the Summit - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2010 FJCruiser Summit For all threads pertaining to the 4th annual FJCruiser Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to thenookie
(Thread Starter)
Keeping the Altitude in Mind at the Summit

We talk about this every year, but since there are over 110 FJ’s who will be experiencing the Summit for the first time, I thought I should start a thread for this year about the altitude.

Everyone needs to be aware of altitude and the potential for altitude sickness at the Summit. Ouray Colorado is almost at 7800 feet and some of the trails can go over 13,000 feet. If you are coming from an area that is at a lower elevation you should make sure you give your body time to acclimate. You also need to make sure you drink plenty of water and keep in mind when consuming alcoholic beverages, the altitude can have a effect on your body.

Every year we have people with whom the altitude catches off guard and we want to make sure everyone is aware of possible issues so that they have a good time and enjoy themselves.

There are a lot of sites out there which can help those that need to more information as well as threads in the previous year's sections which go into great detail about this topic.

Please post up questions or information if you would like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tlc4dr
Re: Keeping the Altitude in Mind at the Summit

this is our 3rd Summit, the first one some one was playing with kids and faceplanted at the raffle, after just 1 glass of wine....... It sneaks up on you quick. the second one my wife start getting a headache on Imogene near the top and took her a day or two to get over it so be REALLY careful. Plus Cigars have a tough time staying lit at the height as well............ just something I personally noticed

Truxx 3" lift
Aries Bull Bar
PIAA 510 series Fog Lights
Hella FF75 Driving Lights
BFG KO's 285/70/17's
SIRIUS Radio w/ 6.5" Bazooka Tube
Demello Sliders
ALL for ME
Shorty got a Lexus
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

From the time you depart your home state, start drinking lots of water. Pack a cooler full of bottled water (not beer, wine, soda). Plan on making lots of potty breaks on the way. This is the absolute best way to have your body adjust from low elevations to the elevation of Colorado.

Denver is a mile high and the everything is higher in the mountains. Ouray is 7700+ and the lowest town connected to the Summit 4 trails. Lake City, Telluride and Silverton are all higher.

The atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi, but about 10 psi at 13,000 feet. So pace yourself when hiking.

A little trivia is the second highest NFL city is Atlanta at a 1000 feet elevation, which is behind Denver at 5280 feet.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

There is also a prescription drug you can get if you have had negative reactions to altitude in the past. Its called "Diamox". A couple of my buddies and I took it before a backpacking trip 2 years ago. We all flew in from Ohio, and within 3 hours of landing were at the trailhead and spent the next 3 days bouncing between 9,000 and 11,000 feet with 30-35lbs on our backs. No one felt any altitude sickness.

That being said, I've been in Colorado for a week(from Ohio) and just did my first 14er on Sunday without the medication and with no ill effects or difficulties. So as others have said, drink plenty of water, avoid alcohol and take it easy and you should be fine.

2007 VooDoo 4x4 Auto - LOADED
OEM Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust
Ricochet bash plate, PureFJ sliders
Manik brush guard w/ Blitz 240s
Add'l 12v outlets, Scuba Mod, Amaesing hood decal.
08-09 side sun visors
265 Duratrac's on Raceline Rockcrusher. Bilstein 5100's front and long travel rear.
Backup Camera w/ 7" monitor
Power rear window mod
Hemi71cuda's Build
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

A cautionary note about dehydration.

Carbonated beverages (particularly those with caffeine) will dehydrate you. You drink and drink and become more dehydrated. It will make you very sick.

I found that a combination of water and Gatorade/diet Gatorade taken in large doses solves that problem.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Kansas Law Dog previously said: View Post
From the time you depart your home state, start drinking lots of water. Pack a cooler full of bottled water (not beer, wine, soda). Plan on making lots of potty breaks on the way. This is the absolute best way to have your body adjust from low elevations to the elevation of Colorado.

Denver is a mile high and the everything is higher in the mountains. Ouray is 7700+ and the lowest town connected to the Summit 4 trails. Lake City, Telluride and Silverton are all higher.

The atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi, but about 10 psi at 13,000 feet. So pace yourself when hiking.

A little trivia is the second highest NFL city is Atlanta at a 1000 feet elevation, which is behind Denver at 5280 feet.
Good info, and yes when you are any of the trail runs, expect to pass the 13,000 ft. barrier. Only the Ophir trail and Montrose trail do not pass the 13,000 mark.

-Jared

RIP Mike "Shadow Warrior" you were good man and a good friend to us all!

"If you feel you have been given poor service on this site, I'll gladly provide you with a full refund: $0.00 - ekool"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Hemi71cuda previously said: View Post
There is also a prescription drug you can get if you have had negative reactions to altitude in the past. Its called "Diamox". A couple of my buddies and I took it before a backpacking trip 2 years ago. We all flew in from Ohio, and within 3 hours of landing were at the trailhead and spent the next 3 days bouncing between 9,000 and 11,000 feet with 30-35lbs on our backs. No one felt any altitude sickness.

That being said, I've been in Colorado for a week(from Ohio) and just did my first 14er on Sunday without the medication and with no ill effects or difficulties. So as others have said, drink plenty of water, avoid alcohol and take it easy and you should be fine.
If you have any respiratory issues at all (asthma, heavy smoker etc) then bringing some Diamox is probably a good idea. I've travelled with groups of people up to 17,000 ft and seen that weakend respiratory systems definately benefit. Of course, you'll have to consult your doctor.

CDC warning: mod disease infection detected. 2007 4x4 Ti now with SAW 3" lift, Total Chaos UCAs, Budbuilt HD sliders, 285/75/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Road Armor Titan front bumper w/ Titan Sabre 10k winch, IPF 960's on top and PIAA 5101 fogs and RA matching rear bumper, MPAC side, rear door racks and pet barrier
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found that motion sickness pills...bonine worked wonders for me last year..just my 2 cents

2009 Silver Fresco
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to thenookie
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
uphill previously said: View Post
A cautionary note about dehydration.

Carbonated beverages (particularly those with caffeine) will dehydrate you. You drink and drink and become more dehydrated. It will make you very sick.

I found that a combination of water and Gatorade/diet Gatorade taken in large doses solves that problem.
Which reminds me...we were gonna try and get redbull to be a sponsor...darn...maybe next year !
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Forum Master

The most painful hangover i have ever had was my senior year of HS when I visited Colorado State as a football recruit. They showed me a good time and I was sick as a dog the next day for my scenic bus tour of the mountains around Fort Collins. I wanted to DIE. Whatever you normally consume alcohol wise will feel like double at altitude. Mind you, I am from Illinois, the altitude really messed me up. Lesson learned (with altitude, not booze).

Please don't buy Firestone Destination M/T tires. They will fall apart!

ILLINOIS STATE-GO REDBIRDS!

2007 BD FJC I LOVE USED PARTS!

*130K miles and counting...

FJ Summiteer 2008, 2010 & 2013
Moab 2010 & 2013

Please visit
http://www.chitown4x4.com/

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2010 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in