Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Equipping your FJ for first-time Summit attendees.

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  TahoeBlue 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been receiving a number of inquiries from those who plan on attending next year's FJ Summit for the very first time. And, the most frequent questions are:

"Do I need to do all these modifications I've seen on the Forum in order to run the trails??" and "What do I need to do to my FJ to get it ready??"

The simple answers are "No" and "Not much, actually" respectively. (But, who around here ever wants "simple answers" to anything?? :) )

And, I've even heard from those who are hesitant to attend the Summit because they won't have the opportunity to do any modifications to their FJ. Or, they simply desire to leave the family truck in stock configuration.

Those who attended this past year's Summit can testify that they saw everything from brand-new showroom stock FJs, to trail-built extreme, to everything in-between. (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru.../39341-categories-fjs-proper-terminology.html)

And, in spite of the fact that a right-off-the-lot stock FJ will be virtually at home on most of Ouray's trails, I'm still going to recommend a number of items that should be considered the absolute minimum for attending this, or any other organized trail run.

So, in typical LandCruiserSteve fashion, I'll present "The Top-10 Necessities for First-Timers Attending the FJ Summit."

#10 - Ice chest / cooler. ($20 - $60)

Someplace to carry your lunches, snacks and cold drinks for the long day on the trail. (Be sure to have some provisions for securing it to the vehicle. The trails can get bumpy out there.)

#9 - A set of tie-down straps / bungees. ($5 - $30)

Great for securing your ice chest, tool boxes, recovery gear and anything else that could easily become a dangerous projectile within the cabin of your FJ. :scared:

#8 - Tire repair kit. ($10 - $45)

It sure doesn't hurt to have some means of repairing a punctured tire on the trail. Especially if you're only packing one spare tire.

#7 - A portable air compressor. ($35 - $150)

Even though it's likely that someone else in your trail group will probably have an air compressor, it's not a bad idea to be packing your own. (A necessity for repairing tires, airing down/airing up, inflating air mattresses, etc.)

#6 - Trailer hitch receiver-mounted D-shackle receptacle. ($35 - $50)

If you have a Class III or better trailer hitch, this handy device will convert it into a sturdy recovery strap attachment point.

#5 - At least 2 recovery D-Shackles. ($10 - $15 each)

A standard piece of recovery equipment that can be used for a variety of attachment purposes. Since the FJ's stock tow strap hooks are closed-ended loops, you'll need these to connect your recovery strap.

#4 - A kinetic energy recovery strap ("snatch strap") ($40 - $70)

Using a kinetic energy tow strap is the safe way to extricate a stuck FJ.

(DO NOT buy or use the $10 "tow straps" with the sewn-in silver hooks. They are simply serious accidents or possibly fatalties waiting to happen.)

#3 - A well-supplied First-Aid kit. ($15 - $75)

Buy the best that you can afford. When you're 50 miles from nowhere, the only medical assistance you're going to have will be you. Take a Red Cross approved First-Aid and CPR class, and keep your training current.

#2 - A quality fire extinguisher. ($20 - $55)

Buy one that is rated for all types of automotive fires. Make sure it is fully charged. And, mount it in your FJ within easy reach. (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trail-use-safety-education/3332-fire-extinguishers-cabin.html)

And, the #1 necessity for first-timers attending the FJ Summit . . . . .

. . . . . a CB radio.
($35 - $150) Which can be vehicle mounted, or a portable hand-held unit. Absolutely essential for being in communication with fellow trail runners (not to mention for emergency purposes).

So many of last year's attendees regretted not having one of these relatively-inexpensive pieces of gear with them, so they could've enjoyed the fun chit-chat going on between FJs, not to mention hearing warnings and/or instructions about upcoming trail obstacles.

Of course there are many other items that you could purchase to make yours a well-equipped off-road FJ (i.e., HiLift Jack, shovel, axe, lighting, GPS, spare parts, tools, etc.), but these recommended pieces of gear should get you going on a safe and enjoyable trail run through the mountains of Ouray. Virtually all of the above can be purchased for less than a couple hundred dollars, which is small price to pay for your peace of mind and well-being.

So, even though FJ Summit '08 is still months away, now is the time to start getting prepared!!

See less See more
#3 ·
A good list however those who attend the summit must know that non of this is needed. The trails at Ouray are very easy and a stock FJ will handle everything without problems. Also since the majority of attendees will be prepared for the apocalypse you shouldn't have a problem finding anyone to lend a helping hand. In tough economic times where some people struggle to just show up its important to know you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on supplies.

#4 ·
Good advice, just don't tell my wife! Too late! :D

#5 ·
A good list, most of these items should be in the FJ every time you go out wheeling.
True a stock FJ can make it up & back on most of these trails but you should still be able to rescue/help your self in an emergency. Stock or heavy modified should still have a good 1st aid kit with at least some knowledge of how to use it. Fire Extinguisher also know how to use it,Strap,shackles,gloves, drinking water, CB radio, cell phone, flashlight, matches, spare key, tools, some type of jack Hi-lift or good bottle jack & blocks.A tarp for emergency shelter.
Also at the Summit put your fleece & rain gear in the FJ the weather can change very fast. We left Silverton towards Tulluride & had 3 inches of wet snow on us by the time we got there in Aug.
And a camera,this area is some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen.

#6 ·
Well, I got them all except the compressor and the hitch mount.

I do, however, have PLENTY of cash for the RAFFLE! :bigthumb:

#10 ·
I've asked this question on another thread without a response as of yet. Does anyone know the approximate cost of this trip? ie. what they are budgeting for or spent on previous summit trips? This only needs to be a ball park figure so I know what to budget when making my vacation plans for this upcoming summer.

#11 ·
I noticed your post in the other thread and I did not reply because I have never been, and I figured it would be better for a summit veteran to reply. I would think it all depends on how loose you are with your money. Are you going to camp, stay at the Best Western or rent a condo. How many people are going? Are you going to have one mouth to feed or that of a family of five. Are you just going to the summit or also hitting up Moab? See, with multiple variables we could be talking about a little league ballpark or a major league ballpark. It all depends on you.

I am planning on going this year, for my first time, and plan to stay at the Best Western or similarly priced hotel. It's going to be just me going in my FJ as of now, and I really don't care how fancy I eat. A sit-down restaurant or fast food is fine by me. I still don't know how much time I have off from work, but I still am not planning on going any further west to Moab, unless someone talks me into it.

My Pricing: (Very Very ruff estimates)

Gas: $650.00. My logic, 1282 mile from my house to Ouray maybe at 18 MPG thats 71.2 gallons at $3.50 per gallon of premium (might very well be higher in summer) multiply those two together thats $249.28 (one way). So $500.00 just to get there and back. I have no clue how much gas I am going to use once I am there, trails/driving around. Maybe $150.00 extra?

Lodging: The Best Western is $144.99 a night during the summit and $135.99 the days before and after. Checking in the 21st and out the 25th $579.99. extra day front or back $135.99. Prices with no discounts, apparently the old summit website says they offer discounts for summit attendees.

Food: This one is still up in the air. One person, maybe throw $150.00 for it?

Summit registration: I think last year was like $150.00 or something please correct me if I am wrong.

Memories and all the new friends from the summit: Priceless

Total: $1530.00 (so far). I am most likely forgetting somethings and my prices will probably vary by the time everything is all said and done.

Hoped this helped a little.

:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.