Alternative Routing Suggestion for Texans and anyone Coming from the SE - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2011 FJ Cruiser Summit This is for all discussion involving the 2011 FJ Cruiser Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via MSN to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Yahoo to TrueGritCruzr Send a message via Skype™ to TrueGritCruzr
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Alternative Routing Suggestion for Texans and anyone Coming from the SE

I just got back from a pre-summit trip to Ridgway last night to deliver some furniture and work on my house and thought I would throw out an alternative routing for the trip I like. If you pull up Google maps and plot a course from Fort Worth to Ouray it will show you three alternative. The first is the traditional route through Albequrque and shows to be 906 miles and 15 hours 34 minutes. The third route takes you north from Amarillo through Raton and eventually to 50 and into Montrose which is 886 miles but 16 hours 12 minutes. Shorter in distance but longer in time. I think the time difference comes from the extra time you spend on I40 with the 75 MPH speed limit which does not help me at all when pulling a fully loaded trailer and FJ's don't really like going 80 much anyway. If you are staying in Ridgay, Montrose, or anywhere north of Ouray obviously the advantages of this route increase.

Also on the plus side of this alternative route you get to go through some nice cayons and drive along Blue Mesa Lake which you will not otherwise see. You will get pleny of chances to see the Million Dollar highway during the Summit.

I did it from my house in Arlington straight through both ways. It took me 17 hours and 10 minutes including stops on the way up and 16 hours 30 minutes coming back, down hill, with the trailer empty. If you are not a glutin for punishment like myself I would recommend Salida, CO as a good over night stopping spot. A nice little town in its own right that anually hosts a white water kayaking event. Salida is 723 miles from Fort Worth so a long first day but then a leisurely second day to explore Salida and the rest of the sites along 50 which includes Black Canyon National Monument.

Or if you just want to see something different go up one way and back the other.

Thanks,
Dan
KD0VVS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Re: Alternative Routing Suggestion for Texans and anyone Coming from the SE

I'll be doing the Dallas-Walsenburg-Gunnison-Hotchkiss-Delta-Montrose-Ouray going there.

On the way back probably head south after Gunnison and swing by the Great Sand Dunes.

Always like to try different routes.

"There's so many different worlds, So many different suns, And we have just one world, But we live in different ones" Mark Knopfler
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Re: Alternative Routing Suggestion for Texans and anyone Coming from the SE

I usually just grab a map and a ruler and draw a straigt line and follow that; I hear that is quickest.

...come on, we have FJ's, why not?

CLICK>> MechaBevo Build <<CLICK

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2011 FJ Cruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in