Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Post FJ Summit Safety, Security & Alerts

Travel ALERT!
"OC Sheriff: The bridge to the upper entrance of Imogene will be closed off indefinitely until repairs can be done.The river is accessible for entry and exit."

ALERT!! If there are any specific, urgent or emergency alerts, I will try to get them posted right at the top of this thread ASAP. Travel/Weather/General alerts will be in bold blue text, and more serious emergencies will be marked with bold red text

Please Subscribe: If you're attending the Summit, please subscribe to this thread. It's not the sole means of emergency notifications, but it can be an aid in facilitating such communications.

This is nothing official, but I will use this thread to post general safety and security information relevant for the lead-up to and during our time in the Ouray area.

I will also use it to notify others about any wildfire or other urgent or emergency situations that need to get out to the FJC community while we're gathered together in Ouray.

I will keep this thread (well, at least this first post) limited to things that are specifically relevant for us while we're in the Ouray area, and at the FJ Summit (i.e. there's already a thread in the Colorado section for the general issue of wildfires across the state - here - and I would only mention any of them in here if they actually pertain to areas where we will be during this Event).

NOTE: I originally started this thread for the 2013 Summit, but have modified it for this year as best as I can. So, some of the links below may still be from past years. If you spot anything outdated, please let me know and I will try to make the appropriate updates ASAP.

EMERGENCY
All Emergencies in all locations: call 911

FJ Summit 800 Number:
################################
This number will ring all of the directors' cell phones simultaneously.
In emergencies, please call 911 first, and then call this FJ Summit number immediately after 911. Again, please only use this number for emergencies/near emergencies.

Local Municipality Emergency Services (taken from here)
Ouray
Ouray County Sheriff: (970) 325-7272
City of Ouray Police: (970) 325-7068
Ouray Volunteer Fire Department: (970) 325-7069
Ouray County Emergency Medical Services: (970) 325-7275
Silverton
San Juan County Sheriff: (970) 387-5531
Silverton Fire: (970) 387-5023
Telluride
San Miguel County Sheriff: (970) 728-1911
Telluride Fire: (970) 728-3801

FIRE SAFETY / WILDFIRE INFO
Fire Bans in Colorado
Higear's 'Colorado Fire Situation' post in this thread
The Colorado Wildfires - 2014 thread
Wildfire/Emergency Agencies, Organizations, Resources, etc
Ouray County Wildfire Annual Operating Plan for 2012
Community Wildfire Protection Plan 2011

WEATHER FORECASTS, PREPAREDNESS & ALERTS
Ouray on Weather.com
Ouray 10-Day on Weather.com
Lightning Safety!!! (NWS, Outdoors, NLSI, weather.com, NatGeo, ReadyGov)

MEDICAL
Just beyond Ouray, there are hospitals in both Montrose (~45 minutes north) and Durango (~1.5 hours south).
In years past, a number of people have identified themselves as EMTs, nurses and/or other first-responder, medic types (e.g. 2013).

AIR QUALITY, ALTITUDE SICKNESS, etc
Colorado Air Quality Summary (and their 'smoke outlook')
The National Air Quality Index
High Altitude Sickness related threads (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and this one about Altitude Sickness in Dogs)
Official FJ Summit FAQ (includes item on the Altitude issues)

SEARCH & RESCUE
Ouray Mountain Rescue Team

SAFETY PLANNING & EDUCATION
Ouray County Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan

CAMPING/WILDLIFE SAFETY/PREP
This is bear country. Check in here and here if you're going to be camping
It's rare, but they do in fact come down into town on occasion. Don't worry about it, but just do the opposite = be prepared.

ROAD CONDITIONS / TRAVEL INFO (for the trails as well as for the highways to get around in the area)
Speed Limits on NFS Roads in the Ouray Area
COTrip (Traveler information for Colorado Interstates, Highways, Road Conditions, Weather Info, Travel Times, Speeds, etc)
Medano Pass (Sand Dunes) (forum thread)
Bushducks (Colorado High Country Pass Status)
Ouray's own 4x4 Trail Conditions Page
San Juan National Forest - Recreation (Status for Roads and Passes in the greater Ouray/Silverton/Telluride area)
Forum Thread on Trail Conditions

COMMUNICATIONS
Here are some threads from last year (I will add/replace with threads from this year shortly)...
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...b-channel.html
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...sign-here.html
CB Radio advice for Summit (2013)
Ham radio questions for Summit (2013)

Alert/Notification Systems, etc
Scanner Radio app for Android and Scanner Radio Deluxe from the same maker for iOS.
In this app, you can use the 'Browse' feature to find feeds for a particular area. I used it to find this one in the Ouray area...
'Montrose, and Ouray Counties Public Safety'
To do so, just click 'Browse', then click 'Browse by area', then 'United States', then 'Colorado', and then choose a county of interest (Ouray, Montrose, etc) to see the feeds available in that area.

All Emergencies in all locations: 911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Re: FJ Summit Safety, Security & Alerts

-

To keep these links under one thread I'd like to add some more here instead of adding to my original thread "Colorado Fire Situation"...

Colorado Road Conditions http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

San Juan National Forest Alerts http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/sanjuan/alerts-notices

Rio Grande National Forest Alerts http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/riogrande/alerts-notices

Hinsdale County Colorado [url=http://www.hinsdalecountycolorado.us/fire_info.html[/url]

Global Incident Fire Map http://fires.globalincidentmap.com/home.php

Geospatial Multi-Agency Coordination Group or GeoMAC http://www.geomac.gov/index.shtml

Archuleta County Emergency Information http://www.acemergency.org/]Archulet...cy Information

Colorado Incidents http://www.inciweb.org/state/6/

Google Maps - Colorado Current Fires https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...6,4.372559&z=6

Medano Pass Primitive Road http://www.nps.gov/grsa/medano-pass-road.htm

Colorado Air Quality Summary http://www.colorado.gov/airquality/c...o_summary.aspx

Rocky Mountain Area Coordination Center http://gacc.nifc.gov/rmcc/

-

Skyjacker 3" Platinum Coil Over Kit (FJ730K), Skyjacker rear springs (FJ25RS) & shocks (H70985), Skyjacker Rear sway bar links (SBE301-L), All-Pro Rear LCA's, All-Pro Front bumper (2104FJ-AP-PC), Warn 8000, IPF 960 Lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Total Chaos Front UCA's (#96504), Yokohama Geolander A/T-S 285/70 R17, CB Radio, HAM 2m-70cm Radio, APRS HAM Radio Tracking System (KC5TRB-2), Wet Okole Seat Covers, Console-Overhead-Glove Box & Footwell Led Lights. Wet Bar & Hot Tub (NOT)

Last edited by Higear; 06-25-2013 at 03:00 PM.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Catalyst

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Higear previously said: View Post
-

To keep these links under one thread I'd like to add some more here instead of adding to my original thread "Colorado Fire Situation"...
Change noted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:42 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage

Subscribed!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2014 Trail Teams Ultimate Edition
With a "Few" mods. See Build
My Build
(Previous 2012 Owner)
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Catalyst

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Tstormin previously said: View Post
Subscribed!

In Ouray-area fire news...

Fire at Camp Bird Mine Believed Contained

...and there's a fire burning in the mountains just east of Ridgway; the East Fork Fire.

Obviously, the first one is already contained, but I'm just mentioning it to demonstrate what can happen. It didn't even start out as a strictly 'forest' fire. It started in a building at a mine, and spread to nearby trees.

So, as you're going through the area, just be aware and keep an eye out for odd puffs of smoke from here and there. Ya never know when you might be the one to spot it and help to get the crews on it sooner.

Also, as a general reminder, if you need to pull over for any reason (for a break-down, or to take a photo, or a potty stop, or to get out of someone's way), please remember about the heat of the exhaust system, and try to make sure you're not going over any high brush that could ignite.

It may sound nit-picky, but it was in fact what started one of the bad ones here in CO back in 2002 (the Big Elk Meadows Fire near Pinewood Springs).
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Forum Veteran

-

06/28/13 10:54 AM

OCC Alerts: Ouray County is under a smoke advisory. If you have respiratory issues, it is advised you stay indoors and keep doors and windows closed.

-

Skyjacker 3" Platinum Coil Over Kit (FJ730K), Skyjacker rear springs (FJ25RS) & shocks (H70985), Skyjacker Rear sway bar links (SBE301-L), All-Pro Rear LCA's, All-Pro Front bumper (2104FJ-AP-PC), Warn 8000, IPF 960 Lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Total Chaos Front UCA's (#96504), Yokohama Geolander A/T-S 285/70 R17, CB Radio, HAM 2m-70cm Radio, APRS HAM Radio Tracking System (KC5TRB-2), Wet Okole Seat Covers, Console-Overhead-Glove Box & Footwell Led Lights. Wet Bar & Hot Tub (NOT)
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

All this is good information..thanks for taking the time to do this.

TLCA 19971
07 FJ
MODS:
A/T KO2's, SWAY-A-WAY ,TOTAL CHAOS UCA, GPS MIRROR MOUNT, PRE-CLEANER, SIDE VISORS,
METALTECH OPOR SLIDERS, SCAN GAUGE, MPAC GOODIES, DUAL BATTERY MOD, TOY OUTFITTERS FRONT BUMPER KIT, RICOCHET ARMOR

MORE ON THE WAY
--------------------
Past Vehicles:
70 FJ40
73 FJ40
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to WILSON

Nice job guys!

Back in the Toyota family...4Runner TRD Pro Edition
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Forum Veteran

-----

If you're camping be aware that wildlife is hungry due to a lack of food source as a result of drought conditions.

Great Sand Dunes Urges Visitors to Take Necessary Black Bear Precautions

About half way down the page...
News - Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve

-----

I recommend having Bear Spray such as UDAP any time your out in the Colorado wilds. I am in no way affiliated with UDAP. A friend of mine who hunts Grizzlies in Wyoming recommended this to me.

Home: UDAP Bear Spray and Pepper Spray Deterrent Produced by a Grizzly Bear Attack Survivor

Product: https://store.udap.com/merchant.mvc?...tegory_Code=BS

-----

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Higear previously said: View Post
-----
If you're camping be aware that wildlife is hungry due to a lack of food source as a result of drought conditions...
Thank you...your post led me to this page (Bear Info) which has helpful information for people like me who aren't used to being in Bear Country. Definitely worth reading, especially for people camping!

All of the links here are great - thanks everyone!

*** Protect Our Hobby - Tread Lightly ***

2012 Red w/ShrockWorks Front Bumper, ShrockWorks Full Skids, All-Pro High Clearance Tailpipe, Boztech Rear Diff Skid, MetalTech Shock Armor & LCA Mount Armor, FJNewb Scuba Mod & some lights

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2014 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in