Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
A call for Trail Leaders - 2014 FJ Summit

With registration starting only two days from now, it's time for me to again remind experienced Summit attendees to please consider leading one or more trail runs. We have something like 80 trail runs over the three day period and every one of these needs a trail leader. FJ Summit trail groups don't leave town unless they have leaders so it's kind of important that we look for good people to help show the way. I know we have a lot of intelligent and experienced individuals attending this event. Please step forward and help lead these groups of fine people from all over the country through some of the greatest scenery this country has to offer.

Requirements:
-Must be at least 18 years old and willing to help solve any problems that might arise on the run
-Must have CB at minimum to communicate with the group
-Must know the directions and have experience on the trail you will be leading
-Must be willing to spot others over obstacles if necessary
-Trail leaders are expected to gather their group at the designated meeting spot with enough time to cover some basic safety and trail etiquette guidelines, depart from town on-schedule and lead the group on the trail run at a safe and legal pace

Leaders will be provided with a brief list of talking points to go over with the group as well as general information about the run and a list of names of those on the run which should be signed by each driver and then returned to Summit HQ at the end of the day.

Trail leader SWAG. As usual, trail leaders will get an additional volunteer T-shirt which is different from the driver shirt that you get during registration. You will also receive a "Trail Leader" door magnet which will look great on your refrigerator when you get home (your spouse may or may not agree ). Last, you will receive a commemorative "Trail Leader" mug or glass for each trail run you lead. We haven't decided on the design for this year yet but we'll set it up same as last year. Lead one trail and get one glass. Lead two trails and get two glasses. Lead three trails and you will earn a set of four glasses. Leaders MUST turn in the trail sign off sheet at Summit HQ to receive these glasses/mugs. This is how we confirm that you led the trail or trails.

It's super easy to sign up to be a Trail Leader during the registration process. Just check the box to lead the trail. If you decide to lead your trail after registering, you can just log in again using your registration number, click on the My Details tab and select the option that applies. Thanks !

One more thing. We also like to develop a list of backup trail leaders prior to the event. If you aren't signing up to lead a trail but would be willing to lead one if necessary, please let us know. If we have a no show for whatever reason, we may need the help to get folks on the trail.

Oh, for those that don't know me . . . This will be my seventh FJ Summit. I can be reached at: james at fjsummit dot org if you have any specific questions about leading or the Summit in general. Even better, just ask them in this thread as others may have the same question.

Revised list as of July 10th

Al runs now have leaders !!!

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: A call for Trail Leaders - 2014 FJ Summit

Had a great time last year as a trail leader and you can count on me again to do it. Just wish I could register already so I could sign up.

You and the rest of the staff, work hard to put on a great event. Volunteering to lead a trail or two is the least any of us can do to help out.

Looking forward to another one.

2007 Silver Titanium, AT, TRD CAI/SuperCharger, 4.56 gears, ARB Front Locker, ARB front and rear bumpers, WARN 8000 winch, Full Ricochet Skids, Total Chaos 2"LT/MetalTech rear LT, AllPro Sliders, AllPro Airdam, Fourtreks mounts, Highlift Extreme, MPAC rear and side, Powertank, Dirty Part's Dual Battery kit, Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 295/70/17, and a bunch of other stuff to get me where I want to go.
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Garage

Led all 3 days last year, it was a little stressful and Poughkeepsie was a lot of work (partly because it was wet)

As you guys are printing trail leader pages this year, it was a big help the last couple of days when the CB channels were picked for us. Knowing that the group in front was one channel down and the group behind was one channel up was a big help when you caught up to somebody or were going too slow.

Will be leading at least 2 this year, it's worth it especially on Imogene to make sure that everybody gets to take the picture:

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
Led all 3 days last year, it was a little stressful and Poughkeepsie was a lot of work (partly because it was wet)

As you guys are printing trail leader pages this year, it was a big help the last couple of days when the CB channels were picked for us. Knowing that the group in front was one channel down and the group behind was one channel up was a big help when you caught up to somebody or were going too slow.

Will be leading at least 2 this year, it's worth it especially on Imogene to make sure that everybody gets to take the picture:
Yes, planning on doing the CB channels for communication between groups

and

Also planning on doing Poughkeepsie Ambassadors (like we do with Black Bear) that can help spot, winch and keep the traffic moving at the main obstacle. This will make it much easier and less stressful on the trail leaders and make it overall a much easier trail to lead.

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
Also planning on doing Poughkeepsie Ambassadors (like we do with Black Bear) that can help spot, winch and keep the traffic moving at the main obstacle. This will make it much easier and less stressful on the trail leaders and make it overall a much easier trail to lead.
Excellent This trail is starting to become my arch nemesis I've done it twice and haven't made it up that right side yet, but last year my tires were pretty muddy:

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
Excellent This trail is starting to become my arch nemesis I've done it twice and haven't made it up that right side yet, but last year my tires were pretty muddy:
Yeah. The puddles made it tough. I arrived there just about the time this pic was taken and were waiting in the traffic jam. There was a puddle just to the left of your driver's rear wheel. I stayed left of it and stayed left of the other one at the top and pretty well went right up on my second attempt but with a little momentum. I'm guessing my line was the easiest on that obstacle but it was my first time up Poughkeepsie in six years and weather was moving in fast. Lead it again for us and we'll plan to have an experienced spotter up there to get you and everyone up the wall and on the way.

post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
I stayed left of it and stayed left of the other one at the top and pretty well went right up on my second attempt but with a little momentum. I'm guessing my line was the easiest on that obstacle but it was my first time up Poughkeepsie in six years and weather was moving in fast. Lead it again for us and we'll plan to have an experienced spotter up there to get you and everyone up the wall and on the way.
I wasn't close to see it but I think that white Wrangler with our group took the same line you did and went right up, I know he definitely missed the mud.

I'm still signing up for it but holding off on leading it to see if anybody else wants it. If not, I'll do it.

post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage

This will be my third summit. I'm down for leading a trail. Last year I took a group up Imogene on Sunday after the picture

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Ogre

2010 Iceberg (Shebear)

Aluminess Bumpers
KING/FJToyman suspension
All-Pro / RCI Armor
ARB Aluminum Full rack

Other mods by http://www.nestahedition.com/

Fueled by http://www.draughtsmenaleworks.com/
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 05:54 AM
Catalyst

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to OCR14a
Thumbs up Re: A call for Trail Leaders - 2014 FJ Summit

Quote:
...Poughkeepsie Ambassadors...
Very nice.
Thanks, guys
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage

Signed up as a leader for Thursday's early Imogene!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Ogre

2010 Iceberg (Shebear)

Aluminess Bumpers
KING/FJToyman suspension
All-Pro / RCI Armor
ARB Aluminum Full rack

Other mods by http://www.nestahedition.com/

Fueled by http://www.draughtsmenaleworks.com/

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2014 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in