Clicked the mouse like a lab monkey and got registered! - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2015 FJCruiser Summit For all threads regarding the 9th annual FJCruiser Summit

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Clicked the mouse like a lab monkey and got registered!

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
Our groups slow them down, and they can occasionally be unpleasant about that. I've never found them to be as bad on Imogene as on Black Bear, since they are going against our traffic on Imogene and have more room to get around than on Black Bear. Be sure to give them extra room, they tend to be in a hurry. And if you ever have to talk to one who is upset, just remember: these are public roads, they have no more right to them than you do and they're getting paid to be there.
Good advice. Last year on Imogene we were on the photo run and we stopped by the short tunnel to get some pictures. Some guys in Jeeps were none too happy with us; not pleasant AT ALL. You'd think that the people they were riding around would actually like to take in some of the scenery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Clicked the mouse like a lab monkey and got registered!

The big problem isn't finding other towns to run out of, its the fact that they all link to the same trails so the overcrowding problem on the trails isn't helped.

One thing to consider is a longer summit. Maybe extend it by a day or two but still keep everyone to 3 trails hence everyone would have a non trail day or two mixed in. It would allow more participants with the same number of vehicles on the trails. Those non trail days could be used to explore some of the other things that can be done in the area. Fishing at Ridgeway reservoir or a group drive up to SilverJack Reservoir, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park or something of the sort. There's hundreds of miles of forest service roads on the nearby Uncompahgre National Forest. Its not that there would be nothing to do.

Yes, Hotels would be harder to find. Last year my wife and I stayed in Montrose as I didn't get rooms in Ouray early. It took us 40ish minutes to get to Ouray each morning but I only spent 80 bucks a night and had access to cheaper gas, grocery stores and Starbucks!

There's always more camping at Ridgeway State Park which is a quick 15 or so miles from Ouray. They have laundry and shower facilities too. They also have a few Yurts you can rent.

Maybe there could be more classes set up for the summit that people could attend during the day instead of running a trail. They already do a Ham class, what about an actual on site recovery class, beginner off road class etc...

How about more hands on volunteer work for the Forest Service on the trails?

What if some of the suppliers set up install garages so people could schedule skid plate or bumper installs in the weeks or months before the summit? What if the brand x guys had to come to summit with some tools and a Uhaul full of racks, skids and bumpers? I would pay to have a bumper installed over doing it myself if the rates were reasonable considering the purchase of accessories.

Group buys......group installs?

I really like the summit, we had a fantastic time last year. I can see the event growing out of Ourays (topographic) ability to hold it. There just isn't enough room in town or on the trails. When this happens it only seems logical to divert some of that attention and spread things out past just trail runs everyday.

Just a few thought......

Last edited by DarbinCo; 04-26-2015 at 10:41 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage

We appreciate your thoughts and suggestions but I do have some thoughts on several of them. These are my thoughts and may or may not be shared by the other Summit directors.

Most wheeling events across this country are set up on a similar schedule rather than as an all week event. It makes it easier for the trip to and from and easier to fit in with just one week of vacation. The idea of wheeling every other day to alleviate trail crowding sounds great but it would not work. Most people would hit the trails every day even if not on organized runs because that's why they made the trip. Besides, we've said time and time again that our permits have limits.

In regards to the vendors, they have jobs too and getting away for more than a few days even to setup as a vendor can be tough. Yes, with more space we could set up install booths for vendors and turn this into a wrench fest instead of a vacation. They would have to bring more people out of production to make this happen. They would spend time wrenching rather than spend time talking to people and making connections. More of this kind of thing happened at early Summits but it was my observation that vendors did not like carrying the extra goods or spending time crawling on asphalt until the wee hours of the night.

More classes. Yes, we could dedicate more time and space to do more classes like the Overland Expo does. But wait, they don't have any trail runs to organize or offer.

It seems that most of these suggestions are centered around making the event bigger and bigger. We're one of the bigger events as it is and we do this all with volunteer organization and labor. We have a great relationship with the town of Ouray and the area forest service and BLM offices. Relocation would affect all of this goodwill and would be a potential downfall. Far more time would be spent managing it and the same problems would have to be solved again and again.

Would it be a better event if it had a 500-600 vehicle limit but never sold out ? I don't think so. That would make it a nightmare for planning. Is our event perfect ? Of course not. We've made changes over the years and you can expect changes in the future.

Since our formula has worked pretty well for eight years (through an economic downturn at that), I would not be expecting any big changes. While some other events have faltered or had trouble selling out over months of open registration, we have grown a little and continued to sell-out faster and faster each year. Based on the popularity it is clear that we are doing something right.
myyoda likes this.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage

IMO - Summit is perfectly sized for the event. Anything else would be too much for the organizers AND the town.

"THE DEATH STAR" 2014 FJ TTE / 3" Lift / Fuel Wheels w/ 33" / Fab Fours Front & Rear Bumpers / Springtail Everywhere / Gobi Rack / Rigid Lighting / All-Pro Sliders / 8-Camera System

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2015 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in