Summit #10: two summits? - Page 5 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2016 FJCruiser Summit For all threads regarding the 10th annual FJCruiser Summit

79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Re: Summit #10: two summits?

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
The proposed idea is to extend the event to 8 total days, split into two halves.

Summit #1 Registration: Saturday
Summit #1 Trail day 1: Sunday
Summit #1 Trail day 2: Monday
Summit #1 Trail day 3: Tuesday

Summit #2 Registration: Wednesday
Summit #2 Trail day 1: Thursday
Summit #2 Trail day 2: Friday
Summit #2 Trail day 3: Saturday

Your driving/setup times are still the same, but it's two 4-day events back to back with more total visitors, rather than one 4-day event. Surely that's better than making two trips?

Already discussed, and the problem for Colorado is venue size and trail density. None of the larger venues -- idled ski towns in summer are a no-brainer to host an event like this -- have the trail density that Ouray does. This year's All 4 Fun lists 22 trails around Buena Vista, with the farthest trailhead being 45 miles away. The other problem is that A4F is a lot of RV/camping and towed rigs, Buena Vista doesn't have the lodging or walkable downtown that Ouray does.
No, I understood the idea. It's just a lot to swallow. And I understand how ouray is a good choice but there are other places that will work too. I mean they some how get hundreds of Jeeps through the Rubicon every year for the jamboree. If you can pull an event off there you can do it almost anywhere.

The big issue I see with doing the Summit for a week is a lot of people are already there for a week, what's going to stop them from staying or coming early? I know we use to come for only wed-sunday now we come for a full week just to prep and get ready. We see people start showing up monday.

If they did two Summits at opposite ends or at least a few months apart on the calendar at different locations that could help. Or even just pick anther location that has more room for everyone. Off the top of my head Moab would work, there is also a park in Texas that holds way more than Ouray can. You wouldn't get the nice little main street and the same scenery but it would be different and may draw in more of a crowd to change it up?
MotioncontrolMike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MotioncontrolMike

I'm with Jason,

A concerted attempt to find an alternate location is still in order. The Jeepsters make it happen in other venues than Ouray. There are other places in the whole of the Untied States to do this, someone needs to head it up and make it happen-just not me.

Mike
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

If you do end up picking a different venue, please pick a cool mountain town. Part of the joy of Ouray is being able to escape 100 temps of the SW. The other nice thing is being able to walk to your room after dinner (and a couple beers) every night. Hard to beat the scenery the trails around there have to offer.
JDEMELLO and FJ Moose like this.

RON
2008 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4
6112's, Icon coils, Fox rears, ST Maxx, Relentless Fab front, Stubbs sliders, RCI skids, Build: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...ld-thread.html

2014 4Runner Trail Edition
Icons, SAW coils, Camburgs, BudBuilt sliders, Pelfreybilt front, RCI skids, Drone Mobile, Build: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ld-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Garage

........and another newbe's perspective

I, like others that are reading this post have never been to an FJ Summit. Its on by bucket list for next year - traveling from Tn to Co to participate in the Summit, preceded by the Moab ride. What it sounds like is that these events continue to be great successes, each year growing in attendance. It also sounds like the summer tourism is what Ouray survives on (other industries?) and the Summit leads the list in revenues per event. This makes a win-win for all stake holders.

I see character in this event and the geography of Ouray that cannot be copied elsewhere. The posted pics from past events really tell the story of beautiful mountains and breath-taking views. I'm looking forward to participating next year and seeing God's western territory (Tn of course is God's real country!).

My thanks in advance to all you volunteers that make the FJ Summit a success each year.
Steve
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Plenty of places for events:
EVENTS | TLCA

It would be hard to find a place like Ouray. Might want to think about a time when the tourism is the lowest and right before the town shuts down for winter.
JDEMELLO likes this.

"There's so many different worlds, So many different suns, And we have just one world, But we live in different ones" Mark Knopfler
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Codger previously said: View Post
........and another newbe's perspective

I, like others that are reading this post have never been to an FJ Summit. Its on by bucket list for next year - traveling from Tn to Co to participate in the Summit, preceded by the Moab ride. What it sounds like is that these events continue to be great successes, each year growing in attendance. It also sounds like the summer tourism is what Ouray survives on (other industries?) and the Summit leads the list in revenues per event. This makes a win-win for all stake holders.

I see character in this event and the geography of Ouray that cannot be copied elsewhere. The posted pics from past events really tell the story of beautiful mountains and breath-taking views. I'm looking forward to participating next year and seeing God's western territory (Tn of course is God's real country!).

My thanks in advance to all you volunteers that make the FJ Summit a success each year.
Steve
Very well-worded response and much better than I could come up with.
The Summit and Ouray go hand-in-hand. No reason to move it.
Shanejrt likes this.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
JDEMELLO previously said: View Post
Or even just pick anther location that has more room for everyone. Off the top of my head Moab would work, there is also a park in Texas that holds way more than Ouray can. You wouldn't get the nice little main street and the same scenery but it would be different and may draw in more of a crowd to change it up?
Quote:
MotioncontrolMike previously said: View Post
A concerted attempt to find an alternate location is still in order. The Jeepsters make it happen in other venues than Ouray. There are other places in the whole of the Untied States to do this, someone needs to head it up and make it happen-just not me.
Quote:
gm350reratliff previously said: View Post
If you do end up picking a different venue, please pick a cool mountain town. Part of the joy of Ouray is being able to escape 100 temps of the SW. The other nice thing is being able to walk to your room after dinner (and a couple beers) every night. Hard to beat the scenery the trails around there have to offer.
Two things about moving the event from Ouray:

1. There isn't anything stopping anybody from organizing a new event in a new location and calling it something else. As @Senor Buckwheat 's post noted, there's plenty of other events to attend already (but few/none? are as big). That would be starting a new attendee list from scratch though, compared to already having a group.

2. As for other potential venues in Colorado, there really isn't anywhere that has (a) sufficient lodging, (b) close trail density to handle 300+ trucks and (c) a walkable downtown. Buena Vista has the trail density, but insufficient lodging and no downtown. The ski towns (Crested Butte for one) have lodging and a walkable downtown, but not enough trail density. I agree with @gm350reratliff , a big part of the appeal of FJ Summit in Ouray is how you can walk the entire town.

FYI I'm not officially affiliated with Summit, this idea just came as a suggestion related to a parking complaint by a Ouray resident. The idea was to try to increase overall attendance while reducing our peak utilization of Ouray and the trails.

@JDEMELLO 's point about hotel overlap is a good one, and you'd need to work with attendees and the hotels to help drive this. And then there's the question of sponsorship, is it worth it for them to spend this many more days in one place? With travel/setup time this starts to become an 11-12 day event for the Texas/California vendors.

The impression I get from @Woodsman 's replies in this thread and the other to this idea is that they'd rather have one full Summit than two not-full Summits. More people over more days requires more trail leaders, and then there's the overlap of which groups of friends go to which event.

I'm not looking forward to the first year where sell-out time is longer than the previous year, but at the same time I don't expect to sleep in on those Saturdays any time soon

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)

Quote:
The proposed idea is to extend the event to 8 total days, split into two halves.

Summit #1 Registration: Saturday
Summit #1 Trail day 1: Sunday
Summit #1 Trail day 2: Monday
Summit #1 Trail day 3: Tuesday

Summit #2 Registration: Wednesday
Summit #2 Trail day 1: Thursday
Summit #2 Trail day 2: Friday
Summit #2 Trail day 3: Saturday

Your driving/setup times are still the same, but it's two 4-day events back to back with more total visitors, rather than one 4-day event. Surely that's better than making two trips?

Already discussed, and the problem for Colorado is venue size and trail density. None of the larger venues -- idled ski towns in summer are a no-brainer to host an event like this -- have the trail density that Ouray does. This year's All 4 Fun lists 22 trails around Buena Vista, with the farthest trailhead being 45 miles away. The other problem is that A4F is a lot of RV/camping and towed rigs, Buena Vista doesn't have the lodging or walkable downtown that Ouray does.
Quote:
Two things about moving the event from Ouray:

1. There isn't anything stopping anybody from organizing a new event in a new location and calling it something else. As @Senor Buckwheat 's post noted, there's plenty of other events to attend already (but few/none? are as big). That would be starting a new attendee list from scratch though, compared to already having a group.

2. As for other potential venues in Colorado, there really isn't anywhere that has (a) sufficient lodging, (b) close trail density to handle 300+ trucks and (c) a walkable downtown. Buena Vista has the trail density, but insufficient lodging and no downtown. The ski towns (Crested Butte for one) have lodging and a walkable downtown, but not enough trail density. I agree with @gm350reratliff , a big part of the appeal of FJ Summit in Ouray is how you can walk the entire town.

FYI I'm not officially affiliated with Summit, this idea just came as a suggestion related to a parking complaint by a Ouray resident. The idea was to try to increase overall attendance while reducing our peak utilization of Ouray and the trails.

@JDEMELLO 's point about hotel overlap is a good one, and you'd need to work with attendees and the hotels to help drive this. And then there's the question of sponsorship, is it worth it for them to spend this many more days in one place? With travel/setup time this starts to become an 11-12 day event for the Texas/California vendors.

The impression I get from @Woodsman 's replies in this thread and the other to this idea is that they'd rather have one full Summit than two not-full Summits. More people over more days requires more trail leaders, and then there's the overlap of which groups of friends go to which event.

I'm not looking forward to the first year where sell-out time is longer than the previous year, but at the same time I don't expect to sleep in on those Saturdays any time soon
I'm fine with it staying where it is. It is what it is and it simply can't handle anymore people. I personally don't see one person or even two in town complaining an issue. That's going to happen anywhere you go. The good the organizers do for the town IMO far out weighs the couple complaints.

My only point was instead of making this one twice as long or splitting it is either a larger location or having two "summits" one in Ouray and one some where else at a different time of the year. Which creates it's own issues with kids in school and so on.
post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage

The idea of two Summits in one week is a great idea. There are a few real obstacles, but some of the things in this thread aren't real obstacles IMO. For example, the raffle. I don't buy tickets to the FJ Summit and drive for 3 days for a chance to win a raffle prize. I do it to attend the FJ Summit in gorgeous Ouray CO. Split the raffle up and have fewer prizes. Problem solved.

The biggest problem is drain on the vendors. You can't get around that. And getting trail leaders apparently. Maybe offer a discount for them? I'm not sure if you already do (I've only been once, I don't qualify).

Also, don't allow people to sign up for both. One or the other. Sure, you'll get some overlap, you can't control what people do, but don't encourage it. This will make the number for each Summit manageable.

Problems it solves? Several. It solves the fact the FJ Summit sold out immediately this past year. But even better, it would mean less crowding on the trails. I did the FJ Summit in 2012 when there were less people than this year, and the trail crowding/timing made for a VERY rushed experience. We did Black Bear our first day and our whole group had to drive at unsafe speeds to stay ahead of the group behind us. It would be great to put the groups a little further apart, which would be doable with fewer rigs in each Summit.

As for the question of a different venue, it looks like that horse had been beat. I like Ouray and the FJ Summit and hope to attend again, regardless of how crowded it is
Codger likes this.

"JACK" : 2013 Cavalry Blue, 4x4 auto | Toytec 5100 Adjustable Coilovers | LR UCAs | Icon Stage 1 Rear | Shrockworks bumper | Engo E9000S Winch | Cooper AT/3 275/70/17 | Trail Gear Sliders | Ricochet Skids (bumper to transfer case) | Springtail Pet/Cargo Barrier | OEM Hitch & Roof Rack & Thule Aeroblades | Tuffy Light Bar, (2) Hella spots, & Amazon 20" LED Bar | Pioneer AVH-P2400BT & Components | Bandi mount, Cobra 75 WXST, 3' Firestick | (2) Wolo Air Horns!!!
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage

I realize im a little late to this party and having not attended an FJ Summit (only in my second year as a toyota convert...reformed jeeper). But with all the conversation and idea's about creating other events and the strain on Ouray, Etc it made me think of a jeep event that started off relativley small and has now grown to where they do several iterations each year throughout different parts of the US. It's not the same format as the Summit, but i still love watching all the video's they put out of the event.

It's much smaller in terms of vehicles allowed to register (20-30), but is essentially a tour through a region. They convoy to a city, stay the night, run a trail or 2, stay the night and move on to the next town. Regardless for those that have never heard of Nitto's JK Experience Series it is a great looking event and they make great video's of each day of the event, and who doesn't love watching a well put together video...even if it is jeeps.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2016 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in