CB for the Summit? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2016 FJCruiser Summit For all threads regarding the 10th annual FJCruiser Summit

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Re: CB for the Summit?

Used the Midland handheld everyone has mentioned last year at the Summit worked great! I was Tail gunner on several runs and although I was a lagging at times I was always in touch!
Biggest benefit is that I can use it in any of my 3 SUV s when traveling!
Was easy to tune and always easy to access!
Plus when I was done everthing went inside with me at home sitting in cabinet waiting for this years Summit!
TXPaladin likes this.

Last edited by Papaobewon; 04-21-2016 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Omission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:20 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Inglorious previously said: View Post
I went with this kit and added the Midland 75822 radio. It can be used as either a handheld or connected into your vehicle. This way it's removable along with the antenna for daily use, but is easy to throw in for road trips or offroading.

Complete Install Kit - You Choose Radio [CBINST-KIT] - $111.80 : Pure FJ Cruiser Accessories, Parts and Accessories for your Toyota FJ Cruiser
I spoke with the owner at Pure today and he said they're offering the improved Boztec now as well, made a change in coax I believe. I like stainless of the Boztec.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 07:07 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)

Quote:
SouthernmostFJ previously said: View Post
I understand why a CB at the Summit is a good Idea, I've seen posts on here with people saying how much better it is to have one at the summit. My Question is Hard mount VS Handheld units. I know Hard mounted units get better range but for the Summit would the handheld work well enough for the 3 days of trail riding? Looking for people that have used a handheld at previous summits and were satisfied with the performance or ones that used them and found the hand held to be useless and ended up going hard mounted.
We always called this our "summit special" :
Midland 75-822 with Wilson Little Wil radio Package. | ExCop Offroad

It works very well, better than the Cobra 75 in most cases. When not in use, pack it away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)

Quote:
FSUgly previously said: View Post
This is the kit I have Midland 75-822 complete radio package | ExCop Offroad. It worked flawlessly at Summit and Moab last year. It was also nice to have while traveling. We experienced 2 different traffic backups due to accidents and we were able to know what was going on due to listening to the truckers that were closer to the scene, or passing on the opposite side of the interstate. Definitely recommend this unit with the external mounted antenna.
THANKS for the props man!

Also: code VFJC at checkout helps too.
FSUgly likes this.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 08:45 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Garage

+1 for everything already said, Midland 75-822 + magnetic antenna is cheap, capable (good antenna), functional (swaps between cars / handheld). If cost is a concern and you don't plan on using a CB in your FJ very often, this is the best way to do it.

A cleaner / FJ-specific setup will run you $60-70 more than @Vegas_Nick 's bundle, but that's more for the people who plan to offroad the FJ a lot.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
SouthernmostFJ previously said: View Post
that was the next dilemma, what length antenna with the bandi mount. My roof rack is at 7ft, and that's the max in a parking garage I go to all the time. was thinking about the 2ft antenna also.
You can go with a Wilson removable antenna adapter. Quick push'n'twist (think pill bottles) and it's off, so you can buy a long antenna for the trails, and a short (or no) antenna for everyday driving. I have one and it fits on the bandi mount.

2010 Sandstorm :: auto :: 315/75R16 Nitto Grapplers :: All-pro skids :: Walker Evans coil overs & shocks :: Bulldog winch :: Demello bumper & sliders :: snorkel :: rock cams w/7" LCD :: Asus TF201 Prime nav :: Intronics dashcam :: Scangauge :: Uniden PC78 :: 10# Powertank :: dual Viair 150psi onboard air :: DP Dual Battery :: Rigid LEDs :: s-POD :: Onboard LTE Wifi
Summit 2016 :: 4WDABC Cruiser Days 2016 :: Summit 2014 :: Cruise Moab 2013 :: Summit 2012
VA7CXP :: TLCA#22101 :: 4WD Assoc of BC :: Coastal Cruisers :: President of Low Gear Society lowgearsociety at gmail.com
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage

Anyone use the Cobra 75 WX ST? That hand held set up Cobra has?

https://www.cobra.com/products/recreational/c-75-wx-st

I had a Cobra in my Jeep that I took out before I got rid of it and the CB I have now won't fit anywhere so I was thinking about getting one of these hand held ones. My main radio is a HAM but I don't mind running a CB as well.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Yulli previously said: View Post

Not much anymore, since the Midland 75-822 came out. The control box for the Cobra has to be stashed / wired somewhere, and you can't disconnect the Cobra from its base and run it as a stand-alone handheld like you can with the Midland.

Everything to run both wired/handheld on the Midland comes in the original box:

All you need is batteries for the battery pack.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not worried about having a hand held CB. I don't see a use for one for myself.

I have 2 hand held ham radios and a mobile set up for the truck. I just want a CB for communicating to others who don't have a ham.
w5wi likes this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Yulli previously said: View Post

I had a Cobra in my Jeep that I took out before I got rid of it and the CB I have now won't fit anywhere so I was thinking about getting one of these hand held ones. My main radio is a HAM but I don't mind running a CB as well.
Yes plenty of us run the Cobra as an installed unit. I stash it under the seat and remove the antenna between offroad trips.
TXPaladin likes this.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2016 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in