Who wants in: Tuesday night or Wednesday night run. - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
2016 FJCruiser Summit For all threads regarding the 10th annual FJCruiser Summit

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:27 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Who wants in: Tuesday night or Wednesday night run.

Count me in if there's room! Brilliant idea - sunset run
Loganbeere likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm totally in!!!! Put me on your list. The waiting is torture.https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...s/blueblob.gif
debFJVT likes this.
post #23 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:20 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Garage

checking with my co-pilot

2013 Quicksand

Mikey previously said: "You guys are like built in forum spam........"

"Everything is easy after you figure out how to do it" -- Moose
"Memphis Beer & BBQ":
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...er-bbq-28.html
"FJ Flirt":
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-fj-flirt.html

"Limb Risers":
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...flector-3.html
"2013 Quicksand and Bronze Wheels":
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post2357199

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

List updated! Everyone on the "possibly" list, let me know what you decide. I want to cap it at 15 FJs, and we have 10 on the serious list already . If we allow up to 15 total, and assuming we have a few cancel, that will keep us between 10-15 FJs. I don't think we want to have more than that on the trail.

Reading some other threads and guides, it sounds like this will be a great run!
Codger likes this.

"JACK" : 2013 Cavalry Blue, 4x4 auto | Toytec 5100 Adjustable Coilovers | LR UCAs | Icon Stage 1 Rear | Shrockworks bumper | Engo E9000S Winch | Cooper AT/3 275/70/17 | Trail Gear Sliders | Ricochet Skids (bumper to transfer case) | Springtail Pet/Cargo Barrier | OEM Hitch & Roof Rack & Thule Aeroblades | Tuffy Light Bar, (2) Hella spots, & Amazon 20" LED Bar | Pioneer AVH-P2400BT & Components | Bandi mount, Cobra 75 WXST, 3' Firestick | (2) Wolo Air Horns!!!
post #25 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Quote:
blueJack previously said: View Post
I haven't figured out the meeting time just yet. Skersfan, input please?

Here are our options; please chime in on which you prefer or make an argument for either:
(1) Does everyone want to start heading that way early enough to catch some sunset, even though we'd have to then wait a while for it to get dark? Sunset is 8:30 so we'd have want to leave at 7:30pm I guess? Or earlier if you want to be half-way up the mountain for the sunset.
(2) OR to not extend the run longer than necessary, head out at 8:30, right at sunset.

My trails book isn't helpful; it says the trail is 3-5 hours, but doesn't say if that's round trip. I would guess it is. It's 9.3 miles long, then turn around and follow it back out. The book says moderate, but it seems to rate trails harder than the Summit page, so I'm guessing it will be fairly easy.
I say your trail book is very correct. I think I have the same. It rates this trail as moderate, 9.3 miles one way and 3 to 5 hours to complete. That is what my own trail book says also.

I believe that 3 to 5 hours would be for the 18.6 miles round trip. 9.3 miles by the trail book is departing from the city of Ouray to the end of the trail. So 9.3 miles is one way. So the round trip would be 18.6 miles and I think the book estimates it to take 3 to 5 hours for that round trip. I doubt they would estimate 3 to 5 hours to do 9.3 miles to the top. That means the round trip would 6 to 10 hours. Now, that would not be worth it to drive 18.6 miles in 6 to 10 hours.

(1) I think your suggestion of a departure time of 7:30pm sounds like a great time. If we set that as the departure time, if someone is running late, the group may even wait for them and still not worry about being late for the trail run. If not, then departure at 7:30pm or a little after is really ideal after a short group meeting about safety on the trail and group trail run etiquette.

Leaving at 7:30pm during day light means the group can really take their time to enjoy seeing the mountains and the trail itself as they slowly drive up. And by the time the group gets under the rocks, the sun may be about setting behind the mountains and the rays may be stunning. Even if the sun is not yet setting, if the group finds a picturesque area, I guess they can pull over and the sun would be setting about that time or in a few minutes after that. Time for some great photo shoot!!!

So my vote would be for the 7:30pm as departure time.

(2) Heading out at 8:30pm might be too late to take off. At this time, it is already getting dark or dark already, so the group would miss the chance to feast their eyes on all the beauty of the fully bloomed wild flowers, the imposing mountains and maybe even miss to see the waterfall before it gets pitch dark.

But a 7:30pm would be ideal. This run would seem like the drive up was during the day while the drive down was at night. The drive down would be great for people who have roof lights and want to shine the night away. They can blast off those leds light bars or cubes that they do not get the chance very often to light up the road with. As long as they are hopefully not blinding the driver infront of them.

But this is just my own contribution to support the 7:30pm departure time. Anybody who prefers 8:30pm can chime in.
FJ Moose likes this.

Last edited by PetitFrereArmada; 06-17-2016 at 05:13 PM.
post #26 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage

if i remember correctly, it takes around 3 hours to get from Ouray to the lake at the top of Yankee boy. I can't wait for this run!
FJ Moose and debFJVT like this.

2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD- BUILD THREAD
2008 Land Cruiser
2014 Tacoma
post #27 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:26 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Hodges previously said: View Post
if i remember correctly, it takes around 3 hours to get from Ouray to the lake at the top of Yankee boy. I can't wait for this run!
If that's the case, then I agree with a 7:30 departure. I wish the other summit night runs didn't start so late - 9:30! I'm really excited about watching the light change and stars emerge - up there ;-)
FJ Moose likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #28 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage

Count me in for a night run 7:30 pm start out seems right for seeing the sky change .
debFJVT likes this.

History does not always repeat itself, sometimes it clubs you in the head for not listening the first time .
post #29 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Quote:
Hodges previously said: View Post
I am guessing it does not take 3 hours one way to cover the 9.3 miles.

Based on the description of the trail, the first 5 to 6 miles seems pretty easy. It is the remaining 3 to 4 miles which seem a bit challenging because it is very rocky.

Here is a nice description about the trail run. Though some years back, it is pretty interesting.

Yankee Boy Basin: Getting There from Ouray, Colorado | Ham Radio Answers! Especially for Newcomers

And here is a video of a Jeep guy of his drive from Ouray to the end of the trail: Yankee Boy Basin. And it took him only 30 minutes to do the trip. But granted he was all alone, so his pace seems faster. But a group may triple that time with stops and pictures. So, about 1 hour 30 minutes or maybe 2 hours tops to get to the top.

Here are his videos I just got from youtube to see the trail. Though this is a run that was done in 2012, but it is the most complete video of the whole trail I have seen on youtube. I just wanted to share.

It is a 3 part video of about 10 minutes each of his total drive from Ouray to the end of the trail, totaling about 30 minutes.

post #30 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Who wants in: Tuesday night or Wednesday night run.

Quote:
PetitFrereArmada previously said: View Post
I am guessing it does not take 3 hours one way to cover the 9.3 miles.

Based on the description of the trail, the first 5 to 6 miles seems pretty easy. It is the remaining 3 to 4 miles which seem a bit challenging because it is very rocky.

Here is a nice description about the trail run. Though some years back, it is pretty interesting.

Yankee Boy Basin: Getting There from Ouray, Colorado | Ham Radio Answers! Especially for Newcomers

And here is a video of a Jeep guy of his drive from Ouray to the end of the trail: Yankee Boy Basin. And it took him only 30 minutes to do the trip. But granted he was all alone, so his pace seems faster. But a group may triple that time with stops and pictures. So, about 1 hour 30 minutes or maybe 2 hours tops to get to the top.

Here are his videos I just got from youtube to see the trail. Though this is a run that was done in 2012, but it is the most complete video of the whole trail I have seen on youtube. I just wanted to share.

It is a 3 part video of about 10 minutes each of his total drive from Ouray to the end of the trail, totaling about 30 minutes.

Yankee Boy Basin Part 1 (HD GoPro) - YouTube

Yankee Boy Basin Part 2 (HD GoPro) - YouTube

Yankee Boy Basin Part 3 (HD GoPro) - YouTube

It definitely takes a lot longer that that. Plus everyone is going to want to stop at the rock overhang and waterfall which adds time. I've ran this trail about 5 times.
FJ Moose likes this.

2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD- BUILD THREAD
2008 Land Cruiser
2014 Tacoma

Last edited by Hodges; 06-18-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2016 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in