FJ Summit 2019 (July 17-21) - Page 19 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
 279Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:17 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I would love being surrounded by forum members for sure!! I read the description. It is rated as difficult and one of Ourays most difficult trails. I am not lifted, just leveled and do have some armor. My skill level is next to none as well with only trail experience being last year's Summit(which was amazing).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: FJ Summit 2019 (July 17-21)

Quote:
Duke Broadway previously said: View Post
I would love being surrounded by forum members for sure!! I read the description. It is rated as difficult and one of Ourays most difficult trails. I am not lifted, just leveled and do have some armor. My skill level is next to none as well with only trail experience being last year's Summit(which was amazing).
It really is not that bad . And there is a Bypass if you do not feel like trying the wall . Be a great time to go . Thurs is a pretty small group so we can take our time .
Duke Broadway likes this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #183 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)

We are doing the 7:20 Thur Run . Also unless things change we should have some special guests again .
debFJVT and Duke Broadway like this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Duke Broadway previously said: View Post
I am locked in on my Fri/Sat trail runs(Imogene/Northern Gulches) Presently slated for Southern Gulches on Thursday. Can anyone that is familiar with the Southern Gulches or Stony Pass sell me on either one? I know both are new trails for this year Summit, but hopefully the locals may know. Thanks.
There is no bad choice of trail runs.The Southern Gulches run will come up from the Silverton side to hit many of the gulches that the previous gulches runs often missed because they were "at the end of the line". By coming up from the south the extra trail time of running Cali/Cork backwards so you can concentrate on these gulches which are heavy on history. The southern gulches are not difficult. Another reason we added the southern gulches via Silverton is to add some runs without adding traffic to the overused routes (ie spread people out).

Stony Pass is new as well and, again, it heads south to Silverton before hitting the trail. It is an out-and-back run and has some distance to it. The end destination is a beautiful alpine lake.

I will add that this is a heavy snow year. Poughkeepsie may very well be wet from snow melt and who knows whether the bypass will be open. I would ask that you not sign up for it unless you intend to go up it under your own power.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
post #185 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
I will add that this is a heavy snow year. Poughkeepsie may very well be wet from snow melt and who knows whether the bypass will be open.
Good point here ^^^ the bypass was snowed in a couple of years ago (David kept bashing it trying to get through) and that was a year with much less snow than this year. Should be an interesting one.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

post #186 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:23 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Appreciate all the info guys. Thankfully have a little time to make to chew on all this info and make an thought out decision on my Thursday run. Can't wait.
Firemedic831 likes this.
post #187 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
FJ Summit 2019 (July 17-21)

I’ll probably start a new thread on this but I just want to toss this out now. I plan to do “the other overnighter” to the Summit again. I think this will be the fourth year we have done this. We will meet in Montrose Monday morning and head up to the wild Uncompahgre Plateau where we will spend one night at beautiful Windy Point. The next morning we drive nearly all dirt roads to Ouray. This will get us into town early on Tuesday afternoon. We can get a beer and burger before heading to our camps or motels. This run will be about 95% dirt roads, nothing challenging but you will see amazing scenery and quite possibly lots of wild game. Here’s a few shots from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRAW, Cruiser47, AMMO461 and 1 others like this.

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.

Last edited by Ace Brown; 04-22-2019 at 05:51 PM.
post #188 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Ace Brown previously said: View Post
... Here’s a few shots from last year.
That's the biggest big screen TV I've ever seen! What beauty! What color! Looks incredible!

Past: 2007 Black Diamond FJC - totaled
Present: 2012 Trail Team Edition Radiant Red

post #189 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 223 Post(s)

Quote:
CRAW previously said: View Post
That's the biggest big screen TV I've ever seen! What beauty! What color! Looks incredible!

It was, and the color just kept getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #190 of 194 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)

Quote:
SilvFx previously said: View Post
you may be right...but its 4 months out...and for the people who live out here, future conditions related to snowpack are pretty predictable based on what we see right now (it's like they have made a science of it). This is why we have a whole bureau that measures snowpack levels constantly throughout the winter and spring to predict runoff.

I can tell you as a native that I haven't seen these snow amounts at this time of year since the early 80s. You've been out here plenty so you know, but my experiences growing up are that many of these passes are naturally blocked by snow until August or even late August during a normal snow year. Only heavy equipment can clear the way for earlier passage (or a very light snowpack year). I can recall riding motorcycles over Imogene with my Dad in late August one year and we couldnt get through. They even had a large Caterpillar bulldozer working to clear it and hadnt been successful.

Pretty much the only place in Colorado where they use heavy equipment is Trail Ridge Road, Mt Evans, and the San Juans now that they have economic incentive such as the FJ Summit. Elsewhere in Colorado....they just wait on nature.

For example, here is July 25th, 2014 near top of Pearl Pass (a pretty stunning pass connects Aspen to Crested Butte). Still blocked by snow. My recollection is that was a pretty standard year for snowfall. We had already ridden through two long snowfields blocking any 4WDs from road and then encountered a snowbank we couldn't get past without a whole lot of effort in the steeper section and experience tells me there is an even larger one on the shelf road just up around the corner. Definitely no 4WD vehicles had made it through at that point and it looked like it would be another couple weeks before they could.

Just trying to educate some of the newcomers who may be coming to Colorado for the Summit for the first time or came in previous years where snowpack was pretty light. Most don't understand that many of these 4WD roads don't even open the lower portions until June 15th or July 1st (blocked by locked NFS gates) and can remain blocked by snow at the top well into August. So while you can play on them after the gates are opened, don't count on getting through them unless you have verified locally that they are open and clear passage if you are connecting.

Hope everyone enjoys the FJ Summit.
Snowpack update. Southwestern Colorado snowpack currently at 220% of median.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/1...ught-recovery/

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/1...winter-season/

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2019 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in