Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Moab before the Summit - 2019 Edition

As it has been customary the last few years, here is the official planning thread for 2019 ! To be clear, this is not part of the FJ Summit. This is just a way get in a few more days of wheeling on your vacation, meet some new faces and get an introduction to Moab if you've never been there before. There are no registration fees and it is not an "organized event", just a bunch of friends getting together to wheel (if any rangers ask ) on Saturday 13th, Sunday 14th and Monday 15th. Some may run trails on Tuesday as well.

I'm just starting this thread to get the ball rolling. I plan to be there on Sat and Sun but have asked Deb and others to step up and help lead groups keeping in mind that there is always a mix of difficulty required by those in attendance.

If you are heading to Ouray for the FJ Summit afterwards, I do not recommend making the three hour drive to Ouray in the late evening or in the dark. The one time I did this, there were multiple near misses with very large deer. Seriously, it was ridiculous.

We'll be concentrating as much on great scenery and views as we are on great wheeling. Most of you are driving a long ways for the Summit and a major breakage would be a big killjoy. There are some good obstacles mixed in with rock crawling, sand washes etc. A lift, aftermarket skid plates and sliders are definitely required as is a little bit of off road experience. Bring your cameras !

We had a great time in 2012 with folks from all over enjoying Kane Creek Canyon, Top of the World, Metal Masher, Poison Spider and Shafer Trail . . . with a bit of the White Rim Road oops ! In 2013 we hit Long Canyon, Shafer Trail, Hells Revenge, Top of the World, and Elephant Hill. In 2014 we ran Seven Mile Rim, Top of the World, Shafer Trail, Long Canyon, Hells Revenge, Porcupine Rim, Spring Canyon and Tusher Tunnel. In 2015, we hit (in multiple groups) Lockhart Basin, Hells Revenge, Bull Canyon, Poison Spider and many others. In 2016, some of us did more difficult trails such as Kane Creek, Lockhart Basin and Flat Iron Mesa and some did other trails such as Onion Creek/Geyser Pass. In 2018, some of us did

Link to 2013 pictures here ---> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-pictures.html

Bringing the group up to SOB Hill on the Elephant Hill Trail.

The weather every year since we started this in 2012 has been great. However, past weather is no guarantee of future weather. Once we get close to trip time, the 15 day weather forecast should give us an idea of whether the Moab weather will be like but I wouldn't worry too much about it. http://www.climate-charts.com/noaa-us2/UT425733.png

Hope to see you there.

[B]It can be really slow getting groups moving in the morning, especially when folks roll in right at the planned departure time and still need to gas-up and run into the store for supplies. Let's plan to meet at 8:00 so we can be on the road to the trail heads at 8:30. It starts to get really hot standing around about that time so PLEASE BE GASSED UP AND HAVE YOUR GROCERIES READY.

Meeting at City Market, 426 South Main Street (just a few blocks south of downtown and on the east side of hwy 191) - gather on north end of parking area (the left as you drive in) - you can gas up at their gas station and pickup snacks, drinks, ice etc but please get there early enough to allow for all of this so we aren't held up.

In the pic below, City Market is the big white roofed building with the red tag. We will meet on the north side of the parking lot just below the word Grand. Their gas station is just above the word Uranium. Again, make sure to be there early to gas up and buy food and beverages.

FJ Summit Co-Director since 2013 email: james at fjsummit dot org

2008 Sandstorm FJ Cruiser
2019 White TRD Premium 4Runner

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Last edited by Woodsman; 03-10-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Moab before the Summit - 2019 Edition

Thanks for getting the OP setup woodsman. We are going to have fun.

There are trails of all difficulty ratings, generally a group heads out from the market looking to do a more difficult trail and there is another group that takes an easier option. This is a great way to become familiar with offroading in Moab. The town itself is pretty cool and those of us who have experience offroading can get (you into and) out of any situation. Its still a good beginner event but the trails are a little more difficult than Summit. All you have to do is show up. No registration etc...

Fair warning, it will be hot and sunny. Prepare accordingly!
debFJVT and Firemedic831 like this.
post #3 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:31 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Garage

Great to see this thread started - thanks James! Happy to step up, and Iíve already spoken with others who will also be available for trail leading. Moab B4 Summit is one of my all-time favorite events and Iím so excited about this year
FJCRUZA and Firemedic831 like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage

I'll be there! Rolling in Friday afternoon/evening.
debFJVT and Firemedic831 like this.
post #5 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Garage

I am in. Planning on arriving Friday as well, wheeling in Moab Saturday and Sunday, heading to Ouray on Monday.

Steve in MN
Sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #6 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Garage

Following... This gathering of friends sounds great. I haven't wheeled Moab for a few years now and I would love to get back out there. Going to be a long trip for me, having to drive out all the way from Eastern NC for FJ Summit this year. Didn't realize how good I had it when I was living in Longmont, Colorado. Hoping to be able to make this in addition to Summit. How do you think a RTT will impact my Summit/Moab wheeling experience ? On the fence as to whether or not I plan to bring it. Have reservations at the Ouray Chalet Inn. Thank you !

"WindstarFJ"

2008 Trail Teams Edition

TLCA Member 22423

Toytec Lift, Spidertrax, MT Upper & Lower Links & Front Bumper, Warn Winch, TC UCA, RCI Skids, AP Sliders, BMC, TC Spindle Gusset, SB Removed, Midland CB, MPAC, Trasharoo, LED Headlights, Hi-Lift, 33" BFG KO2s, Baja Rack w/ RTT, more...
post #7 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:35 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)

Quote:
windstarfj previously said: View Post
Following... This gathering of friends sounds great. I haven't wheeled Moab for a few years now and I would love to get back out there. Going to be a long trip for me, having to drive out all the way from Eastern NC for FJ Summit this year. Didn't realize how good I had it when I was living in Longmont, Colorado. Hoping to be able to make this in addition to Summit. How do you think a RTT will impact my Summit/Moab wheeling experience ? On the fence as to whether or not I plan to bring it. Have reservations at the Ouray Chalet Inn. Thank you !
I stayed at the Ourey Chalet last year and it was nice , walking distance to the HQ. as far as the RTT I can not think of any trails that would present a problem .
windstarfj likes this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #8 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:25 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
windstarfj previously said: View Post
With a RTT and high center of gravity I wouldnít want to see you on some trails with challenging off-camber obstacles. But other than that you should be fine
windstarfj likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #9 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Garage

Might wanna stay off of 7-Mile Rim...
windstarfj likes this.

Steve in MN
Sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #10 of 371 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:28 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Garage

Thank you...

"WindstarFJ"

2008 Trail Teams Edition

TLCA Member 22423

Toytec Lift, Spidertrax, MT Upper & Lower Links & Front Bumper, Warn Winch, TC UCA, RCI Skids, AP Sliders, BMC, TC Spindle Gusset, SB Removed, Midland CB, MPAC, Trasharoo, LED Headlights, Hi-Lift, 33" BFG KO2s, Baja Rack w/ RTT, more...

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Trail > National Summit Discussion > 2019 FJCruiser Summit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in