Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Got a sunroof installed

47K views 106 replies 47 participants last post by  suzzer 
#1 ·
Hey all, I just got a new sunroof put in in Hungtington Beach. I thought some might be interested. I know a new sunroof isn't the first mod most of you would do. But I gots to have my sun! Really brightens up the inside.

I'm pretty happy with it, and the company. I wish it were a little bigger. But you can't have everything.

FJ Cruiser

-Matt

Oh also if anyone's interested here's the main reason I got my FJ. I love hiking around and taking pictures in the deserts around here:

Desert Trip

#5 ·
I asked him if they could put in a maplight. He said he would if he had one in stock. They ended up putting one in and not charging me anything extra. I thought that was pretty sweet.

Oh btw - the sunroof was $1050 with tax and everything.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks! The desert pics are with Sony point and shoot DSC-W1, which finally died (probably from sand and dust exposure - Doh!).

The FJ pics are with a Nikon D80 I got to replace the Sony. I've never had a serious camera like that before so I'm taking a class to learn the basics of real photography and all the settings, etc. I'm pretty excited about getting out there and taking some real shots with the D80.

#7 ·
The FJ pics are with a Nikon D80 I got to replace it. I've never had a serious camera like that before so I'm taking a class to learn the basics of real photography and all the settings, etc. I'm pretty excited about getting out there and taking some real shots with the D80.
I love my Nikon D50. Even though you didn't ask - a forewarning: avoid changing lenses outside of a controlled environment. The sensor is extremely sensitive. While you can send it off for cleaning that means missed photos. I tried to warn a friend with her Canon D2D, but she had to learn the hard way - $100 and two weeks later she decided to listen. ;) Good luck with the D80, it is an amazing tool in the hands of an educated photographer. One thing I despirately need (which all Nikon SLRs do too), an external flash. The built-in flash sucks major apples and ruins shots with shadowing and focal glare. Are you taking the Nikon classes or something at a local college?

#9 ·
That's a good question. The sunroof itself comes with a warranty, but it looks like that might be about it. If I went through the dealership, these guys would have still been the ones to do it, but I probably would have gotten some kind of leak-warranty. But from what I understand it would have been around a grand more.

#8 ·
Thanks Baldman, right now I only have one lens, so not a problem. But your warning is well noted.

The photo class is through the city of Redondo Beach. Here's the class description. I really like the instructor. It's been a fun class so far (3 weeks in).

PHOTO SAVVY – MOVING PAST
AUTOMATIC FEE: $57, 8 WEEKS
This class is for those that want more out of taking photos. Designed
for people that have adjustable digital or film cameras and wish to
take control of their photography. This class will allow you to use all
of the advanced controls on your camera that you have read about in
the manual but don’t understand. Topics will cover light and color,
film and digital arrays, metering for better exposure, using apertures
to control sharpness, brightness range and contrast and using good
composition for better images. Taught by a professional photographer,
money saving tips and techniques will be emphasized. A field trip will
be arranged to practice all that you have learned. It is preferred that
the student have a camera that can be used in M, P, A(Av) or S(Tv). If
you are unsure, call the instructor at (310) 787-8785. A $5 material fee
will be collected at the first class meeting. Instructor: Rich Ostrowski.
14335 Sat. start date: April 21

#11 ·
im just a bit worried about the long term reliability of the weather seal with all the grooves on the roof
Yeah, I tend to learn those things the hard way. :slant: But I know these guys do plenty of jobs for dealers, so they should be solid. I guess we'll just have to see if the FJ has some unique problems because of those grooves. I could see the So Cal sun drying out that sealer after a while (I park on the street). But I wouldn't think it's too much trouble to get new rubber in there.

#15 ·
Thanks a lot. To be honest I used to have to put a ton more work into the online albims - like the desert one I linked to. But now I use Picassa, and it automates a ton of that stuff. The only major tasks now are 1) picking out the good pictures, 2) cropping or adjusting them and 3) putting captions on them.

#17 ·
If both windows are rolled up and the sunroof open, you get this weird concussive noise thing at about 30-40 mph. Like it's not really a noise but a pressure vibration. But then if you speed up it dies down (I think - I'll have to confirm tomorrow). If you crack a window a couple inches it goes away.

Also I've started driving around town with my back window up. Does anyone know any problem with that as long as I don't go over 45 or so?

#18 ·
the sun roof looks great . now you got me thinking about one. i like to keep the back window open too it really helps out with the wind noise problem with the front windows down. i use a dog chain clip (you know, the ones with the spring loaded thumb depress release) to keep it cracked just a bit.

#19 · (Edited)
Suzzer,

Looks great! I agree with your assessment that it could have a deeper opening. Overall, nice mod. It's on my list of mods (someday). But I do have one question...What brand moon roof is it?

#22 ·
agreed, looks good. i'm considering getting one as well. webasto, supposedly is a good sunroof manufacturer.

I'm also considering linking via picasso as well, do you know if you can link to the pics? im sure google has a crap load of traffic allowance for pics, right?

#24 · (Edited)
I'm also considering linking via picasso as well, do you know if you can link to the pics? im sure google has a crap load of traffic allowance for pics, right?
Hmmmm. I have my own website. So I just export from picassa to an HTML site, then upload to my site. Not sure about Google's traffc restrictions.

Oh btw, the only regret I have with my FJ is not getting a black cherry. I literally bought this car the day I became aware of what an FJ was. Then I bring it home and see 10 silvers driving around Redondo Beach. I would have had to pay a little more to get it delivered but it would have been worth it. Salesman of course told me purple was a "girl's color". Since he wanted to unload the silver. Not that I don't like the color, I think it's great. I just always wanted a purple car, and it would be more fun to be unique.

#25 ·
What brand and model is it? It looks wider than the usual webasto we see on here.

#28 ·
Wow I really like the way it came out

Congrats

#30 · (Edited)
Hey all, I just got a new sunroof put in in Hungtington Beach. I thought some might be interested. I know a new sunroof isn't the first mod most of you would do. But I gots to have my sun! Really brightens up the inside.

I'm pretty happy with it, and the company. I wish it were a little bigger. But you can't have everything.

FJ Cruiser

-Matt
The installation looks GREAT!

A couple of questions:

1) What's the name, address & phone number of the installer?
2) How long did it take to install?

#33 ·
Hah, you guys are right. I just checked it out and the maplight is a little off center. But it's really only something you would notice if you're sitting in the center back seat. And not the kind of thing I care much about. I'm mainly concerned that it delivers light when I need it.

I also have a nice dent from softball just above the driver side window. It bothered me for a few hours, but now I'm kind of fond of it. I may get it fixed someday.

Btw the place is Airstream inc. in Hungtington Beach. Just google it for a map. It took them a day and they were really good about giving me a ride and delivering the car back to me.

#34 ·
I just got off the phone with them actually, they were pretty good about informing me of what is involved with the install, I asked them about the panaramic one, and they said its a pretty popular item and gave me a quote of 1295 total before tax and tax is only applied on parts not labor. He said turn around is one day...I think Im gonna do it soon...

#35 · (Edited)
<snip> ...I think Im gonna do it soon...
Me, too!

However, if I do this, it'll probably rule out any kind of roof light system for me. The Lucrum's (really cool motorized light system) is out, because it'll entirely cover the sunroof opening, and the Toyota air dam/light bar is out too, because I won't be able to get the FJ into the garage w/the lights sticking up another 5 inches above the bar. At least I can put a couple of fog lights on the front bumper (and, even though I think it looks cluttered, maybe a couple more on a bumper bar).

Oh well ... this is what happens when you start modding stuff. You just have to decide what's important to you and establish priorities. ;)

#36 ·
The sunroof looks great. The Photo's of your trip were Awesome!

#37 ·
The new roof looks great! I sure would like to have a maplight like that.

#39 · (Edited)
Just made an appointment to install a sunroof and a map light in my FJ at Airstream in Huntington Beach (where Suzzer's was done) in a couple of weeks. :)

Going to make a fun trip of it and, after the sunroof and light are installed, I'm going to head out to AZ & NM to visit Canyon de Chelly & Chaco Canyon and to explore any "easy" unpaved roads (no trails, since I'll be alone, don't have any recovery gear and no meaningful off-road experience) that I run across. ;)

#40 ·
Looks nice. I don't think I'd get a larger sunroof than you got (I like having a full-sized roof rack). Your seals look good...let us know how they hold up!

#41 ·
I believe that Suzzer got the largest sunroof available -- Hollandia 790 -- which is what the people at Airstream told me they were using for FJ installs.

#46 ·
sunroof looks great, as for lens changes in undesired locations, all DSLRs suffer the same issue of having foreign objects land on the protective glass plate that sits on top of the sensors themselves.

this is one technique/tool/kit that many photographers use including pros.

If blowing on the sensor with a bulb doesn't help, compressed air may be required. Just make sure the can is sitting up-right when you do this.

Otherwise I like this sensor-spatula + pec-pad and eclipse fluid. Works great and although the site makes it seem like it's difficult or scary, it's really easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.