Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Box Canyon Lodge

7K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  man in a bottle 
#1 · (Edited)
Just spoke to Barbara at the Box Canyon Lodge. 15 rooms booked by Summit attendees!!!

She is holding 3 more rooms until May 30th. First come first serve.
Ouray Lodging: Box Canyon Lodge and Hot Springs, Ouray Colorado

I booked a suite so the Poker game will prabably be at my place. See ya in the hot tub! :jawdrop:

#17 ·
I think that's the idea...yeah :rocker:

#3 ·
OK, time to start sounding like a broken record...and rant...

With no full info as of yet on the summit itself, I doubt anyone is going to actually book a room...in fact I'm thinking of letting mine go...so there might be 4 rooms available. People need to run and plan their schedules...and with no info on whether this is really going to happen...how much it's going to be....etc...etc...

We need info!!!!!! Confirmation....

I know I'm sounding like an ass, but I don't really care at this point...I booked my room over 2 months ago...expecting to be able to plan my life around this so I could attend...I now have a class I have been putting off that is during this week...and with no info believe it's time to give up on this actually happening and book my class instead.

I know this takes time and people that have stepped forward to help plan this have their own lives as well as this summit to plan, but myself as well as others have offered MANY times to help out...and I for one have not been taken up on that offer.

Any info would have been better than none...I believe their was more than a month where people asked and all we got was it's getting planned...just wait....

Really...who cares if there are rooms available...

#4 · (Edited)
Yes you sound like a rant. There is a websight with info. This is a gathering planned by rank and file amateurs, grassroots members of this forum. We have:

- Set up a website
- Preregistered attendees
- formed non profit corporation to handle the financials
- got bank account to handle funding
- got volunteer legal and accounting help
- solicited and got confirmation Toyota will be sending Trail Teams
- oraganized hotel deals for attendees
- researched and presented as many accomodations as possible, hotels, B&B, campgrounds etc
- provided viral marketing through "Ouray of the Day" and many many other threads
- solicited sponsors
- talked to BLM and Forest Service, got appropriate applications for permits
- talked with Chamber of Commerce and other Ouray contacts
- Made trips to Ouray
- Solicited necessary insurance for trail permits
- Design graphic and website, forms for preapplicant and, soon, applicants
- opened Pay pal account to facilitate registration
- planned two catered meals
- answered hundreds of emails
- debated sponsorship levels and club affiliation
- discussed and did discovery regarding liability and risk
- debated fees and attendance limits
- research and wrote release forms
- Solicited and conducted a t shirt contest
- solicited items for raffle
- planned trails and levels
- secured a tent and meeting place
- within 2 days we will have registration up ( about 75 bucks)

"Really...who cares if there are rooms available..."

I'm looking forward to this incredible event, Hope you will too. Email me if you have specific needs or questions.

#5 · (Edited)
By the way. The FJSummit will not be summer camp. We are setting up the basics, not planning every hour. It will be up to each individual to have good time! :)

So plan your vacation: take your family, shop, explore a ghostown, ride a train, mountain bike, fish, discover a quiet place, face your fear, make love in the woods, smell the air, chase a dream, take something, leave something (not your trash), camp , hike, take a picture ( or a 1000 pictures, K2). The best things you come awat with from a vacation may be the things you never anticipated...

#6 ·
FJ4GD, maybe you're having a bad day. I said to trust us that it was still coming. If we'd heard other info that it was NOT going to take place, I would have posted it. We're getting ready to post registration within the next few days, in fact. We're taking our time to get it RIGHT. Please be patient. Hope you make it

#7 ·
Since I drove to Ouray from Phoenix last weekend.May I offer a suggestion?
We had a burger at the Goldbelt Bar and Grill and since I knew we would be revisiting, I asked the bartender if he knew of the summit we were having. He told me he knew nothing of it and didnt believe his boss knew either. I told him there were 500 plus invading his town. He was really suprised.
I did stop in the visitors center and they provided me with pamphlets , flyers and current events for Ouray, they did know of the Summit with marks on the calender. Could someone find out from the chamber of commerce if local merchants will be advised of the event? I am sure that type of turnout would mean shortages in everything unless they are made aware of this.
I do see the extensive list of items addressed and am confident this has been thought of , (probably the chamber of commerce is responsible) just in case they missed that.
I really look forward to the event. That place is flat awesome.

Thanks
Don

#10 ·
Read your other threads about your trip. Coool you made it up there. I am sure the alpine trails are still closed, I promise, you will be impressed.

Your suggestion is a good one. We, in fact, have been in close contact with the Chamber since this ad hoc committee was formed. Its possible not all merchants will know we are coming, but we will be sure to continue to update the Chamber. Ouray is a small town, but a tourist town, the Hot Springs is a BIG summer draw, I doubt they will run out of burgers, but if they do... try the pizza, it's good there also! :)

Look forward to meeting everyone!!

#9 ·
One more thing
I picked up lots of info on Ouray dvd's magazines, summer events schedules, shopping guides, tours, attractions etc please let me know if you would like some of this you may not have
thanks
Don

#11 ·
FYI I have in my hand the 2007 calender of events for Ouray. July 12th- 15th FJ Summit 2007
I don't think we would get a full paragraph on thier calender (considering most events are listed on one line) if this event was not going to happen
Just my .02
Don

#16 ·
Um.......the summit is going to be awesome. If for some reason, everything fell through and a "summit" wasn't going to happen - that would stink, HOWEVER, we would still be there! Camping, scenery, trails - we can still all have fun!!

Anyway, excited for the summit!!! Can't wait to meet everyone!

#18 ·
My wife brought up a question. Is the registration fee per person, per vehicle, and are there any other fees, charges, or limitations? I know of several people from SoCal that are coming solo. Others are bring their whole family.

#19 ·
One fee per driver, covers vehicle and driver kits, tshirt, raffle ticket, dinner, etc. An additional fee for passengers ( like 15 bucks each ) to cover cost of meal tickets . I think kids under the age of ? will be free . Tshirts will also be for sale to offset costs. All fees and sponsor money will go to driver amenities and Summit events and neccessities. This is a non profit venture so any residual fees will be donated to charity!

#23 ·
I need to put my $.02 in here. Bostonian - thenookie - t2cruiser and the rest have done an awesome job on putting this summit together. KUDOS to all of you. Thank you for a job well done. :clap:
Jackie

#24 · (Edited)
Before this thread got hijacked I mentioned that the Box Canyon Lodge still has 3 rooms left for the Summit. Not sure how many have been reserved since then. But the remaining rooms will be released to other customers on May 30th.First come first serve. This hotel is next to the Best Western, I expect we will have a total of 18-20 rooms booked there.

Ouray Lodging: Box Canyon Lodge and Hot Springs, Ouray Colorado

#26 ·
so who else is staying here?

#27 ·
Just found this thread and sorry you guys had to deal with the hijack negativity. I think you guys have done an excellent job and have this as the central part of our summer vacation. I guess some people need their hand held the whole time and simply don't have the faith that it will be a great time had by all.

See you guys out there...

#34 ·
Just called them to see about Thursday night too. They had a smoking room that I could have that night, then move into the room I reserved for Friday and Saturday.

The young lady I spoke to stated that "we just love you Cruiser people". Seems they are booking the place up full, and everyone she's spoken with "was just so nice". Looks like I'll be in good company.

See ya soon!

#36 ·
I heard of the high hot tub (it's wood I believe) I have never stayed there before I usually stay @ the weisbotten inn and hotsprings, but the house we rent there is taken except for Saturday night, but it too much work packing up moving and then moving again, so we are staying all the nights @ the lodge:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.