LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 4x2 limits?

Quote:
toyrunner83 previously said: View Post
Carrying speed will get a 2wd through snow and muck that a 4x4 could slowly walk through, same applies to climbing hills when it's possible, but the bottom line is regardless of driver skill there is no substitute for 4wd in off-roading. Many people consider cruising down dirt trails and playing on beaches to be off-roading but in reality 4wd isn't necessary for much of this mild trail riding, nor are the approach and departure angles, suspension articulation, and ground clearance that makes the FJ appealing to us in the first place. These vehicles pack serious capability that most will never realize but the 2wd simply will not follow a 4x4 down a difficult trail. It is completely reasonable that an inexperienced driver could struggle in a 4wd while a talented driver seemed to breeze through in 2wd, but that isn't nearly an apples to apples comparison. Comparable experience in 4wd vs. 2wd will net the same result every time, they offer 4wd for a reason. I would just be upset if someone gave me the impression that I could keep up in a 4x2 to realize it's a little more intricate than "you'd be surprised where that 2wd will get ya with a diff lock."

First:

I am a member of the pre-runner clan

Now:

While I know that you are right in saying that a 2wd will not get you through tough trails, and that it takes less skill to drive 4wd somewhere that anyone but the most talented drivers couldn't go in 2wd the truth is that most clubs don't go anywhere that a talented driver in a lifted, armored up 2wd cant go. I also believe that you should say "your FJ is only 2wd, you can't wheel with us.". I know that I have seen 2wd go places a 4wd was struggling, and although I have never met them Nala serves as an example of a Fj that is 2wd and piloted skillfully enough to "keep up with the big boys".

Yes,

We cannot go everywere that you can go, and definetely not as easily but we can do.

Just my .2 pesos.

-Jace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 4x2 limits?

Last summer I was driving up a very rocky stream bed flowing with about a foot of water, then I came to a group of trucks going the other direction so I decided to pull off and let them through. When I tried to climb up at an angle out of the steam bed I had to go up about a 2 foot high shoulder. First try I heard the rear wheels slip when my forward progress stopped...so I backed up and used a little more power and popped up out of the stream bed. That is when I realized the truck had never been put in 4 wheel drive! It sure did quite well just in 2 wheel drive.

But I bought the 4x4 model for the snow here in CO...4x4 definitely helps the truck track better and slide less in snowy mountain conditions.

So I agree that the truck can go ALMOST anywhere just in 2 wheel drive.

Two-stroke in the morning...top fuel in the afternoon

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in