4x2 Discussion This area is for discussion about the 4x2 equipped FJ Cruisers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: New here, 2wd question..

heres a few videos of mine and my friends in sand and rocks.

MOV06378 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

MOV06377 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I got mine never intending to do offroading, besides places I might need to get into for camping and mountain biking. after going offroad once I got addicted. 4x2 hasnt slowed me down that much at all, though sometimes it can get annoying. I will tell you the 4x2 fj is a lot different than a 4x2 truck, the fj has much more weight in the back and gets pretty good rear wheel traction.

those on this forum who have ran along with the 4x2s will tell you they have been pretty surprised to see a 4x2 following them up a pretty crazy trail without being towed. Ive amazed myself more times than one.

4x2 black diamond, "Shadow"
1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon

Last edited by rider77; 04-27-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Kajun Kim

Lifetime Supporting Member

I have to say that I have NEVER gotten disappointed with my FJ. The weight in the butt really helps and putting some good tires on it also makes a HUGE difference. I agree with Wrig though. If you intend to go where someone might not be there to help you out of a jam, please get a GOOD winch and some nice recovery equipment. That way, you can take care of business yourself!!!

My FJ is a member of our family. My guys (salesmen and I own my own company) just bought me a set of golf clubs that matched my rig.......

They know how much I love this truck!!

Kim

Pura Vida!!! Costa Rican for"Pure Life" live every minute of it!

The Cherry Garcia!!! '07 BC !! TLCA Member 18935

"Breathe in Breathe out, move on!!! Jimmy Buffet

Island bound, Trust ME!!!!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Going with my son on Monday to look at an '07 4X2 FJ seems to be pretty close to loaded minus roof rack, 35K miles for $18,900. I've read about the fender rips/bulges but is this a more inherent problem on 4X4's or all FJ's. Also any other particular problems inherent with these vehicles that I should be looking for. I've been a aircraft/car mechanic for the last 30 years so I plan on going over it with a fine tooth comb but would appreciate any insight you all could provide to help ensuring my son get's a decent FJ. Thanks in advance for all your help

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Forum Veteran

4x2s definitely get fender bulges too. id look for the following, some obvious but ill list them anyway.

-corrosion under the vehicle.
-rear door fit when opening and closing and front door fit when opening and closing.
- bent rear control arm (trailing arm) frame mounts (digger links).
- binding u-joints/propeller. the drive shaft can not be lubed on the 4x2 via grease ports. mine binds and you will feel a thud sometimes when you stop. toyota would not and could not fix this for me.
- popping front brakes when transferring from reverse to forward or visa versa

when you get the truck change the diff oil, good chance the previous owner didnt. every time i change mine at 15k i find a decent amount of metal shavings. id also clean the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. if youre used to maintaining aircraft im sure youll be fine, youll probably find more faults than most.

4x2 black diamond, "Shadow"
1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:05 AM

hello guys!! i just bought my FJ. It's a 2wd with a rear locking differential. since i am new to the forum as well as to the FJ, i was hoping for mose advise on when to use A-TRAC and when to use the rear locking differential. Are you guys saticfied with the 2wd or you think that the 4wd would go better in the mountain? was it a mistake to buy the 2wd?

Thank for any advise.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 AM

I run around on the beachs in south texas and I think with the proper care and a winch/winch bumper/good tires it will work out fine. We have made lots of trips that all we drove on was pack sand and never used the 4 wheel drive. Some other places down there can be interesting with 4 wheel drive. The FJ is addictive, best weekend toy and dailey driver that I have owned
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Gianno previously said: View Post
hello guys!! i just bought my FJ. It's a 2wd with a rear locking differential. since i am new to the forum as well as to the FJ, i was hoping for mose advise on when to use A-TRAC and when to use the rear locking differential. Are you guys saticfied with the 2wd or you think that the 4wd would go better in the mountain? was it a mistake to buy the 2wd?

Thank for any advise.
It really depends on what your trying to climb and what kind of off-road driver/wheeler you are. There is a great post on what A-TRAC, A-LSD and the rear locker do here

I bought a 2WD FJ for my wife and we have taken it on our vacation to Colorado twice now. Being the avid wheeler, I just could not resist going up some trails in the mountains even in our bone stock FJ. I turned off the A-LSD just because I like having more control (I really despise the vehicle telling me how much power to apply to the wheels). I engaged the locker over the rough stuff and had no trouble at all. I know I could have pushed it harder, but I had to drive the same vehicle back home for 18 hours and really didnt want to listen to my wife yell at me because I broke something or dented her precious FJ. You can do a lot with a 2WD and a locker, especially in a Toyota.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in