• 2 Post By FJ BRUZER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
285/70/17 and Bilstiens ?

Im upgrading the tires and wheels on my wifes FJ for she has been asking me for a while for a Pre-runner look. She wont be taking it off road but if this is what it takes to keep her away from a new car so be it.
I have decided on 285/70/17s. I know from the tire and wheel guides in here (Nice work) this setup my need at least a level up front. Possibly a BMC.
My questions are if I throw the 5100's up front and do nothing to the rear what notch will get me level?
I havent decided which wheel yet but with these tires what size width and offset have many found work well with this setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:18 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar
Re: 285/70/17 and Bilstiens ?

3rd notch will level it.

Raising the front CAN take a little adjustability away from your lower control arms. You want some adjustability so that your alignment tech can add as much positive caster as possible so to move the front tires forward away from the body mounts. Usually completely doable IF your LCA cams are not seized up at all...if they are you will want to replace the lower control arms. (really depends what part of the country you reside in)

Wheels, you wouldnt want to get too aggressive, unless you are cool with the BMC (its no big deal, I did mine with a Dremel). Typically your standard 17x8 4.5" backspacing (or 0 offset) works well in most all cases.
Skidmarks, CRFjockey and FJFool like this.

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

thanks for the response iwashmycar.

I will probably do the BMC as to avoid any issues in the future. It looks simple thanks to some of the members pics.
Would a 17x9 wheel create any issues with suspension as long as I stick with recommended backspacing and offset?
I am also considering a kit that has a small amount of lift but replaces shocks and springs. Its over 100k with original shocks and springs. So I would hope a 5100 kit on all four corners would do the job.
If it was my truck i would get a little more aggressive with the lift and tires but I dont want my wife to have any issues. She has had it since new in 07 and still loves it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:04 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

That is hard to say. A 285 will fit stock...If using a 9" wheel you probably want a -12 offset / 4.5" backspacing. Being that it will stick out ever slightly more than stock, I bet a BMC will be in order. Every truck is different, but the lift will help a little. Also, every tire differs slightly from the next.

Another little thing you can do is a 1/2" body lift. Only going 1/2" means it affects nothing...bumpers, fan shroud, ect all work the same. It also really helps clearance getting to the suspension bolts. Pretty darned simple to install too. Bandi, on these forums makes these at home and sells on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CYBER-SALE-...frcectupt=true

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thats a great kit thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I decided and ordered the tire and wheel package. I went with a Pro Comp 40 series Vertigo 17x9 wheel with a -6 OS and 4.75 BS. Price was good and they were on sale as well as the Toyo Open Country AT2.

I cant seem to pull the trigger on the 5100 lift. I absolutely want a level stance but the question is will I want a little lift in the rear once I see the tires, and if I go with say the Pro Comp Stage 1 3" lift (which includes shocks and springs on all 4 corners), will I have a level stance or will it still sag in the front.
Its not as much about the money as its just getting it right the first time.
I welcome any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro Comp vertigo.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1065548  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)

Look around you will see that (alsmost) no one is running the Pro Comp lift kit. There must be a reason for that.

If you dont like it level. You can always easily add new rear springs and Bilstein or any other brand shocks that are meant for lifts of 1-3"

FYI...i would expect that wheel/tire combination to stick 1.6" further outboard than the stock wheel with 4.84" backspacing and 7.5" rim width. You might end up needing that BMC anyways because when the wheels/tires come further outboard and you turn the wheel is when people run into the body mount.
Skidmarks likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Skidmarks previously said: View Post
I decided and ordered the tire and wheel package. I went with a Pro Comp 40 series Vertigo 17x9 wheel with a -6 OS and 4.75 BS. Price was good and they were on sale as well as the Toyo Open Country AT2.

I cant seem to pull the trigger on the 5100 lift. I absolutely want a level stance but the question is will I want a little lift in the rear once I see the tires, and if I go with say the Pro Comp Stage 1 3" lift (which includes shocks and springs on all 4 corners), will I have a level stance or will it still sag in the front.
Its not as much about the money as its just getting it right the first time.
I welcome any advice?
The Pro Comp lift WILL give you an even stance - the only thing that will make the front sag would be if you start filling the front end with a ton of weight - even with a winch and bumper mine was still even and level - just be aware, that this is an inexpensive way to go and you will eventually end up doing another lift down the road once you start to "use" your FJ as intended
Skidmarks and FJFool like this.

Last edited by FJ BRUZER; 01-31-2019 at 07:48 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Went ahead and ordered the Bilsteins for the front and rear. I also picked up a 1.5" rear spring spacer just in case I want more space in the rear after I put the fronts on. It was only $39. Im just going to go all the way up up to top clip up front. Hopefully I will have some adjustability left in those control arms. The cam bolts are ok so I will be doing it this weekend.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good to know, thanks for that info

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in