• 1 Post By Firemedic831

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
"high" mileage FJ sounds like the titanic

Forgive me as I was not a super fan when an FJ kind of fell into my lap. I since have tried to do avid research and enlighten myself as I have become a fan girl and want to keep this thing for a long time. I have a 2008, 2 wheel drive with a little less than 218,000 miles on it. Since I have become the owner, I have put quite some money into it. First trip was $2,000 and then 6 months later another $3,000 was put into it for the front end (lower control arms, wheel hub and something else I cant remember off the top of my head). I noticed a HUGE difference after the second shop correctly fixed the issues however this creaking sound lingered. It was there since I bought it on day one and through two mechanics and almost $6,000.00 in repairs, I STILL have this truck that sounds like it is going to fall into pieces the second it moves. Reverse seems to be the worst and any time I turn the wheel, however it is progressively getting worse and I feel like even just cruising now I can hear the titanic creaks and its driving me insane. I brought the FJ back to the second mechanic TWO separate times and he assures me nothing is wrong with the FJ.... The second time he seems annoyed with me and said "its an old car with high miles they are going to squeak" and I cant help but think this is the dumbest thing I have heard from a mechanic.... how else would people have classic cars that don't make sounds, which are older than me.... also between $6,000 in repairs I feel like this thing should make a single noise besides the purr of the engine. I fixed a few things myself already since going through these forums such as my windshield spray not spraying in the front (new motor needed and that infamous FJ SHUDDER, which disappeared the day I got the transmission flushed. I baby this thing and I am trying very hard to make sure it lasts to its full potential so if anyone is in the Orlando area and maybe wants to take a look or hear? Or if anyone has a good recommendation for a mechanic? Possibly even knows what this seems like, it would be GREATLY appreciated.... I really don't want to get rid of him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:38 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Post on the SouthEast Region and on Technical Misc sub forums.

"There's so many different worlds, So many different suns, And we have just one world, But we live in different ones" Mark Knopfler
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:50 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Garage
Re: "high" mileage FJ sounds like the titanic

Quote:
Kalinz03 previously said: View Post
Forgive me as I was not a super fan when an FJ kind of fell into my lap. I since have tried to do avid research and enlighten myself as I have become a fan girl and want to keep this thing for a long time. I have a 2008, 2 wheel drive with a little less than 218,000 miles on it. Since I have become the owner, I have put quite some money into it. First trip was $2,000 and then 6 months later another $3,000 was put into it for the front end (lower control arms, wheel hub and something else I cant remember off the top of my head). I noticed a HUGE difference after the second shop correctly fixed the issues however this creaking sound lingered. It was there since I bought it on day one and through two mechanics and almost $6,000.00 in repairs, I STILL have this truck that sounds like it is going to fall into pieces the second it moves. Reverse seems to be the worst and any time I turn the wheel, however it is progressively getting worse and I feel like even just cruising now I can hear the titanic creaks and its driving me insane. I brought the FJ back to the second mechanic TWO separate times and he assures me nothing is wrong with the FJ.... The second time he seems annoyed with me and said "its an old car with high miles they are going to squeak" and I cant help but think this is the dumbest thing I have heard from a mechanic.... how else would people have classic cars that don't make sounds, which are older than me.... also between $6,000 in repairs I feel like this thing should make a single noise besides the purr of the engine. I fixed a few things myself already since going through these forums such as my windshield spray not spraying in the front (new motor needed and that infamous FJ SHUDDER, which disappeared the day I got the transmission flushed. I baby this thing and I am trying very hard to make sure it lasts to its full potential so if anyone is in the Orlando area and maybe wants to take a look or hear? Or if anyone has a good recommendation for a mechanic? Possibly even knows what this seems like, it would be GREATLY appreciated.... I really don't want to get rid of him
Every time Iíve had annoying squeaky sounds itís been bushings. And they happen with any movement? Thereís quite a few bushings on the FJ - can you tell roughly where the sound is coming from, like front vs back? Does it change with speed?
ZerosFJ likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)

Unfortunately Florida is kinda Jeep dominate so finding someone that knows Toyotas well is not that simple . I have some good friends in West Palm Beach that Work for Toyota And they eat breath sleep Toyotas i will reach out and see if they have any good suggestions in the Orlando area . The plus side is this Group here can pretty much Pin point what a issue is with enough Questions and some Pics , So at the very least you have a understanding on what you need and not get taken by some Shop .
ZerosFJ likes this.

09 AT Toytec Boss performance 3inch lift, Demello sliders , TRD brakes , MT offset Lower links . Rad Rubber splash guards ,Cobra CB,
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:57 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I also think that the mechanic's reasoning is absurd. I would suggest you get a can of seafoam lubricant from the autozone or someplace similar and you spray the following areas: Upper Control Arm bushing area, lower control arm where the shock mounts to it (your shock bushing could have weakened and is now rubbing metal to metal, which I experienced at one time), and the pivot points of the lower control are where the alignment bolts are.

I too have an 08 with high miles and I also get the crazy squeak from time to time, but when I spray these three areas (it's mostly my UCA bushing), the squeak goes away for like 3-4 months. I also noted that seafoam seems to work the longest and has good oil creep (meaning it spreads nicely). Make sure your engine skirt is in place (it's that plastic/rubber piece that kinda covers the engine bay) and don't spray into the engine area....try to be precise in other words. You can hit all three by facing the wheel well, but you'll have to go to the front of the vehicle to reach the shock/LCA connection. Hope this works for you.

ps. often squeaking occurs from incorrectly torqued bolts, but this is a quick way to treat the symptom.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in