LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
4x4 springs with bil 5100's

Have any 4x2ers done this combo?? is it smart? is it possible? what kind of a ride can I expect?

2008 4x2 Sandstorm
In the process of making it my own...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: 4x4 springs with bil 5100's

Quote:
cowtown dave previously said: View Post
Have any 4x2ers done this combo?? is it smart? is it possible? what kind of a ride can I expect?
I have this setup on my ride right now. 5100's in the front with 4x4 springs in the second clip position and 4x4 rear coils will sit you almost level...put a load in the back and you will be level. this is a bit stiffer over stock and performs better both offroad and on road, plus it looks better. im sitting about 1" higher than a stock 4x4 in the back and my front is completely level with the back with the 5100's in the third clip position. id start out with the second clip psition and see how you like it because in the third clip you will be sitting a tad bit like a prerunner with a load in the back...ill try to post some pictures but for the time being, my ride sits about like this one...just a tiny bit higher in the front.

I highly recommend the 5100's and 4x4 springs to anyone who doesnt want to spend big right now on some ICONs or something. I installed mine by myself in about 3 hours. you need a spring compressor.goodluck

4x2 black diamond, "Shadow"
1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Forum Veteran

heres a few pics...ill get one of the back too later.

once again, thats the third clip position sitting completely level with no load in the back.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thanks, sweet ride. I haven't even thought about the back springs, but it sounds like I shoud change out both if I go with the 5100's or just lower the setting on them.

2008 4x2 Sandstorm
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Wholesalestunna

I have a 4x4 but I'm running the 5100's in the front with the factory coils and it's great. Very comfortable ride and mine sits pretty level.... maybe a little higher in the front at the 1.75" setting (3rd from bottom). I can try to get pics for you when I get home.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, sweet ride. I haven't even thought about the back springs, but it sounds like I shoud change out both if I go with the 5100's or just lower the setting on them.
id put the 4x4 coils in the back too. they are a bit stiffer and a bit higher over the 4x2 springs. I picked a full 4x4 setup with 1K miles on it from someone on the forum for $50. the 5100's cost me another $200. the second clip position with stock 4x2 coils in the rear will still be level but if you drive hard you will bottom out the back and front quite often. the rear 4x4 coils have an extra coil (6 vs 5) and are about 1" longer.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

Prerunner bumper build

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Wholesalestunna

By the way... If you're looking to buy these struts there is a seller on ebay that has an ebay store. I bought a set of these that I had on my Tacoma from him and then a set for the FJ and they're priced great with quick shipping (and no i don't know him or get paid to say that). His store is Downsouth Motorsports I believe
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thats where I saw the 5100's on ebay, great price. I'm just getting the 4x4 front springs from a forum member but not the rears. I may have to search that out. 4x4 springs on all 4 5100's up front and stock shocks in the rear. I'm not going to be off roading much but I would like to level it out and tighten it up a bit.

I think I might just put the front 4x4 springs on with 5100's at zero and that will have me level. If I decide to go up from there I can at least use the 5100's.

2008 4x2 Sandstorm

Last edited by cowtown dave; 12-16-2008 at 07:13 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Thats where I saw the 5100's on ebay, great price. I'm just getting the 4x4 front springs for a forum member but not the rears. I may have to search that out. 4x4 springs on all 4 5100's up front and stock shocks in the rear. I'm not going to be off roading much but I would like to level it out and tighten it up a bit.

I think I might just put the front 4x4 springs on with 5100's at zero and that will have me level. If I decide to go up from there I can at least use the 5100's.
4x4 springs and 5100's at 2nd clip position in front with 4x2 springs in rear will be level. the problem with the 4x2 springs is that they dont hold a load. the second you put some people in the back its gonna sag but the front will be stiff. its kinda hard to get the 4x2 to sit level in all conditions because of how soft the stock suspension is. 1st clip (0 lift, actually has some lift since strut is longer than stock) wont exactly level you out, front will still be a bit lower.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

Prerunner bumper build

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Forum Veteran

not sure how much ebay is buy I got mine from toytec with no tax and very cheap shipping...all for about $210 total.

1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

Prerunner bumper build

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x2 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in