All Pro Heavy Duty Tie Rods - Page 9 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: All Pro Heavy Duty Tie Rods

Quote:
HERSOG previously said: View Post
I don’t know if anyone has successfully transplanted 2010 Rack into 2009, but as long as the mounting points are the same it can be done. Also if the plumbing are a bit different, you can get the plumbing for 2010 and make it work.

This is the part# for 2010 steering rack 44200-35103 $760 from Toyota of Dallas

2009 part#44200-35080 $720

I do have a spare new 2010 steering rack but don’t know anyone here close to me with 2009 or earlier model so we can measure everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
g'Day Mate,
Thats what I thought, as long as the mounts are the same...gotta be close ....and not too complicated.
The steering shaft is probably the bigger challenge if they changed angles at all.... or length..into the box. But i somehow doubt they did...
and odds are the mounts are the same too....
Thanks for the details....

cheers
Baz
HERSOG and debFJVT like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)

Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
g'Day Mate,
Thats what I thought, as long as the mounts are the same...gotta be close ....and not too complicated.
The steering shaft is probably the bigger challenge if they changed angles at all.... or length..into the box. But i somehow doubt they did...
and odds are the mounts are the same too....
Thanks for the details....

cheers
Baz

You welcome Baz.
Like you said, the mounting is the only crucial part. I say the rest should be easy. It only needs someone with great deal of “WILL” to do it.

bazross likes this.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
2010 TT 6MT. 4.56+ARB locker, Icon Coil Over Shocks+FOX 2.5 Rear+Icon UCA. All pro HD steering Kit. Metal Tech tube bumper with Caterpillar GTB 9000 Winch. Light Force Striker 170 HID. K&N cooled Air Intake. Ricochet Skid Plate. All-Pro Rear LCA. ARB Half Rack. Boztech Diff skid 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Edelbrock Exhaust. URD Short Shifter. Total Chaos LCA Skids.
And Death Valley Is The Place To Be
post #83 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
You welcome Baz.
Like you said, the mounting is the only crucial part. I say the rest should be easy. It only needs someone with great deal of “WILL” to do it.

I think @debFJVT has the WILL ....
Cheers
Baz
HERSOG, debFJVT and Thorn661 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 02:12 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 2139 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
I don’t know if anyone has successfully transplanted 2010 Rack into 2009, but as long as the mounting points are the same it can be done. Also if the plumbing are a bit different, you can get the plumbing for 2010 and make it work.

This is the part# for 2010 steering rack 44200-35103 $760 from Toyota of Dallas

2009 part#44200-35080 $720

I do have a spare new 2010 steering rack but don’t know anyone here close to me with 2009 or earlier model so we can measure everything.

Thank you for the response, and posting the schematics - they do look the same but yeah I know.... I guess one issue I have is whether the gain is great enough to justify going through the conversion - new tie rods, new plumbing, (but hopefully same PS pump as mine is new), and the hassle factor of the great unknown in attachment points. When you say beefier, do you mean thicker diameter, larger joints etc? Just trying to evaluate this potential project.....
bazross likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #85 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 03:06 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Garage

Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
I think @debFJVT has the WILL ....
Cheers
Baz

TLCA# 25170
post #86 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 05:59 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Garage

FYI the steering rack ( rack&pinion ) for 07-09 on the FJ is the same as for the 4Runners, changed mine last spring.

Bilsteins 5100, Metal Tech Rear Long Travel, Camburgs Balljoint UCAs, Full Ricochet Skid Plates, All Pro Sliders, RESZ Fab rear LCAs , Luna Dual Battery, Cooper STT PRo 35s on 16' Mickey Thompson Classic Baja Locks, FJToyman Shock Skids, Total Chaos lower link Skids, Boztec Dif Skid, Exp1 front Diamond Bumper, Exp1 Rear Bumper with Carrier, Viper winch, Ricochet Lighted Air Dam
post #87 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 07:28 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Garage

Quote:
Cholerabob previously said: View Post
FYI the steering rack ( rack&pinion ) for 07-09 on the FJ is the same as for the 4Runners, changed mine last spring.
Had heard that but not able to confirm - thanks! Is the price any better for T4R?

TLCA# 25170
post #88 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
debFJVT previously said: View Post
Quote:
PDXsnowboarder previously said: View Post
Resurrecting this thread from the dead, as I recently bent both of my tie rod ends doing some very mild wheeling. 2012 FJ. 295/70r17, 2.5" Icon stage 2 lift, proper allignment before. Trying to go up over a 8-10" root I think before I got out the winch. The only ones I see still made are ReadyLIFT and they are running over $800 for a set, ouch! Anyone have any ideas on this one now? That's where I think I did it.
RCV came out with beefy tie rods for the FJ recently, I believe, and they'd cost even more [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/images/FJCruiser2/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG] I go through a lot of tie rods as I wheel hard, live in the NE with road salt, and run 35's. I've come to see them as the "fuse" and would rather break a tie rod than any associated (and waaaay more expensive/difficult to repair) parts. I always carry a spare tie rod for trail repairs and yes, have actually used one. Also learned the hard way that there's no such thing as bargain tie rods (die within a few months) and will only use OE. Best price on OE I've ever seen is $123 each from OEMPartSource.com
Fair enough, thanks for the input. The more I research it, the more I tend to agree with your logic of the tie rods acting as the fuse, just seems this was really very little abuse to bend them. Was just hoping to not have to replace them and pay for an allignment quite so often. Or... just use the winch for EVERY obstacle I can't crawl up.
debFJVT likes this.
post #89 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)

I actually did some research into fitting a 10+ rack on my 08. All the part numbers (except the rack and tie rods) are the same between years, pump, lines, shafts, etc. The Toyota parts catalog says the 2010+ tierods fit the 07-09, but the 07-09 doesn't fit the 2010+, but the knuckles are the same part number, so the tierod taper should be the same...right? So maybe the 2010+ are just stronger/better or maybe the 07-09 tierods are too short for the 2010+ but the 2010 can be adjusted shorter to fit the 07-09 rack? So the 2010+ rack/tierods should fit the 07-09, but not the other way around?

The other big problem that you might encounter is with the vsc system, because the racks have a different overall ratio. They both have a variable ratio design, but the final ratio on the 07-09 rack is 17:1 and the 10+ is 15.1:1. This might confuse the steering angle sensor, yaw sensor, and vsc when you turn, but may be cured by simply recalibrating the steering angle sensor or vsc.

I think someone's just going to have to try it and find out
Cholerabob and bazross like this.

Eric

2008 Sandstorm FJ
-Offroad pkg, trail gear sliders, 35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grappler on 17x9 Level 8 Bully Pro, Icon 2.5 Ext. Travel Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, MetalTech Long Travel Rear w/ Icon 2.5 remote res , EM rear UCA, MetalTech rear LCA, Icon panhard bar, 1/2" Bandi lift, Man-a-fre skids, TC A-arm skids, FJToyman shock skids, CB w/ Bandi mount, AFE HT exhaust, Demello front bumper, Warn M8000 w/ synthetic, 4.56 Gears, ARB locker, Safari Snorkel
post #90 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 02:30 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Garage

Quote:
epm131 previously said: View Post
I actually did some research into fitting a 10+ rack on my 08. All the part numbers (except the rack and tie rods) are the same between years, pump, lines, shafts, etc. The Toyota parts catalog says the 2010+ tierods fit the 07-09, but the 07-09 doesn't fit the 2010+, but the knuckles are the same part number, so the tierod taper should be the same...right? So maybe the 2010+ are just stronger/better or maybe the 07-09 tierods are too short for the 2010+ but the 2010 can be adjusted shorter to fit the 07-09 rack? So the 2010+ rack/tierods should fit the 07-09, but not the other way around?

The other big problem that you might encounter is with the vsc system, because the racks have a different overall ratio. They both have a variable ratio design, but the final ratio on the 07-09 rack is 17:1 and the 10+ is 15.1:1. This might confuse the steering angle sensor, yaw sensor, and vsc when you turn, but may be cured by simply recalibrating the steering angle sensor or vsc.

I think someone's just going to have to try it and find out
This is very interesting, and exactly the kind of info we need to share and discuss before "one of us" decides to just do it. On Wednesday I'll be swapping my inner tie rods and will get a better look at the rack. Depending on condition I may or may not be the "one" and will start a new steering rack thread. Meanwhile I'm still hoping someone out there with hands on experience with this adaptation will add their knowledge.
bazross likes this.

TLCA# 25170

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in