The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Personally, I think things like this should be handled between the customer and vendor. If a resolution is not handled offline then take it online. Obviously Jason stepped up to the plate and promptly replied to an email to take care of this issue.

ďSince you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas.Ē

Davy Crocket

My Rig: - well, that was my rig...

TLCA Member # 20540
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)

Quote:
"OLYMPIC VIEW" previously said: View Post
Jason...I got your e-mail reply back to me tonight and appreciate your prompt response and attention to this matter...Thank you for your offers to make things right on the passenger side slider, that is a testament to your excellent customer service and the fact that you care about your customers...I purchased some Rustoleum Flat Black Textured Spray paint and after hitting the affected areas with some 80-grit sand-paper and two coats of paint they look fine...they're sliders and know they will get dinged up down the road...the packaging didn't cause this to happen and I understand keeping costs down on packaging/freight, the welds seem fine, no complaints there. Prep prior to powder coating seems to be the key to a durable finished product...

Clean

Rinse

Etch

Rinse

Grain Refine

Zinc Phosphate

Rinse

Acidulated Rinse

Thanks--
Actually they sand blast all our products before coating. The problem as someone else has pointed out is any small holes (nothing you can see) will let hot gasses out when the powder coating is baked on. The problem is you don't see these till after the powder coating is applied. I guess this is the only powder coating that does this. We could switch to a gloss black color to avoid this. But we and I believe our customers really like the wrinkle finish color.

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
My apologies. The welds in the pic above look magnificent. Admittedly, welding on tube material is difficult and it is tough to maintain consistent speed to prevent occasional buildup. Based on my experiences with welding and powder coating, there is probably a tiny hole in the weld right where that bubble formed in the OP's powder coat. When the part was heated to bond the powdercoat, it caused the gases inside the tube to expand and push out through the hole thus creating the bubble in the coating.
Yes we take allot of pride in our welding. Where allot of products out there are robot welded (like the factory frames) or job shop welded where time is money, and they just turn up the heat really high and run a straight line. Our welding is all done in house.

The normal procedure is to either grind down the area that is affected by the bubble, re-weld it and have it re-powder coated. If it's not a bad we will do what the OP did and sand and spray with some wrinkle finish paint.

Quote:
Kosmo previously said: View Post
No comment...ok...small comment.

Paint to fit. Never been a fan.

BTW, what is that a picture of with the dimple dies?

Carpet is a great idea. Short of mounting them to a board and trucking, that sounds like a great idea. I'll bet truck freight on a set of sliders approaches $100 though.
That is a rear 05-10 Tacoma bumper. Those welds are not even that good but it's what I had ready to post.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
FJ33 previously said: View Post
Those are not welds to brag about!
seriously? youre gonna post that about one of the best Toyota aftermarket offroad accessory manufacturers out there? hope you have some threads posted up which display your welding skills.

Quote:
Gottagetone previously said: View Post
Personally, I think things like this should be handled between the customer and vendor. If a resolution is not handled offline then take it online. Obviously Jason stepped up to the plate and promptly replied to an email to take care of this issue.
agreed, ive made this mistake before too. its easy to get heated and rant when it would have been more professional for the OP to contact Jason and wait for a response. if he said to bad then its ranting time!

4x2 black diamond, "Shadow"
1992 Ninja ZX7R K2

MEMBER OF THE BENT UPRIGHT CLUB

TRD CAI, KC Daylighters, Kragen HID's, Demello skid, PreRunner bumper, Gibson catback, ICON extended travel coilovers, ICON billet UCA's, ICON rear piggys, Kenwood, Cobra CB. Black out door handles, mirrors, bumpers, bezel and rims. TRD floor mats.

Prerunner bumper build

articulating light system

Silverado Canyon, Cleghorn, Hungry Valley, Barstow, Anza Borrego, Superstition, Mojave, Corral Canyon

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in