Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar

Thanks for the pics - I am getting super psyched to go! Less than a week...........

'07 FJC - Toytec Adjustable Coilovers in the front and OME mediums in the rear - 285/75/17 Nitto TGs on OEM steelies - Warn bumpers front and rear - MileMarker winch - nerfs - Ricochet front skid and engine skid. Budbuilt rear diff skid. Blackout 66% complete. And, more to come -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Forum Veteran

Man I want to go back again...

I can only speak to Poison spider, you'll be fine there.

Bacon...the new lettuce.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Well the three trails were great, but long. I have no idea how you would get a stock FJ through without damage though - there had to be a lot of rock stacking! There are places that your only option is to go up or down an 18" ledge.

Good trip. Did Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, Hell's Revenge and Fins and Things. Plenty of new scratches underneath and to my bumpers, but that is what protection is for.

Again, you guys are either better drivers than I am, have better spotters than I do, build a lot of road (rock stack), or you are liars. I felt like I needed all of 34" tires and 3" of lift to get through without damage.

'07 FJC - Toytec Adjustable Coilovers in the front and OME mediums in the rear - 285/75/17 Nitto TGs on OEM steelies - Warn bumpers front and rear - MileMarker winch - nerfs - Ricochet front skid and engine skid. Budbuilt rear diff skid. Blackout 66% complete. And, more to come -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Athena Send a message via MSN to Athena Send a message via Yahoo to Athena
Lifetime Supporting Member

18" ledges? no prob as long as you go up and down them with steady creeping momentum

Intergalactic Planetary Invader of FJ Interwebz ~ EVIL TRUNK MONKEY

silly boy, gonna make you cry

^^^click it.. you know you wanna

"... I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ..."
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

They weren't a problem for me, just not seeing how you would get a stock FJ with worse clearance and worse approach and departure angles over them without damage?

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

You know, when I think about it, 18" really isn't that high. Maybe more like 2' or 3'. Anyway, I did fine with it, but found myself thinking more than once "how in the heck are people getting stock vehicles through here without body damage??"

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Lenny previously said: View Post
Well the three trails were great, but long. I have no idea how you would get a stock FJ through without damage though - there had to be a lot of rock stacking! There are places that your only option is to go up or down an 18" ledge.

Good trip. Did Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, Hell's Revenge and Fins and Things. Plenty of new scratches underneath and to my bumpers, but that is what protection is for.

Again, you guys are either better drivers than I am, have better spotters than I do, build a lot of road (rock stack), or you are liars. I felt like I needed all of 34" tires and 3" of lift to get through without damage.
Glad you enjoyed the Triple, it is a great trail....you seen my pics, no liar here

Post up some of your pics, I would like to see them.

Quote:
They weren't a problem for me, just not seeing how you would get a stock FJ with worse clearance and worse approach and departure angles over them without damage?
Having an excellent person spotting I believe made the difference. I trusted her(Mrs. MoabRat) and even at times I was like no way I could do that....but seeing her smile and give you the thumbs up after an obstacle was the best feeling for a newbie like me.

Quote:
You know, when I think about it, 18" really isn't that high. Maybe more like 2' or 3'. Anyway, I did fine with it, but found myself thinking more than once "how in the heck are people getting stock vehicles through here without body damage??"
It was my first time out and the trail veterans knew that, so they took care of me. These people were complete strangers that I met at the trailhead that morning, but I trusted them (for some reason ) and in turn we had a great time.

Quote:
Athena previously said: View Post
18" ledges? no prob as long as you go up and down them with steady creeping momentum
Yep...slow...and slower....and knowing/learning when to use the "Moab bump".

-Devin
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Well nice work.

You know, maybe it is my inexperience with the IFS that made things uncomfortable for me at times. I have had and wheeled with IH Scouts, Jeeps, and Land Rovers - all solid axle vehicles. This is my first IFS and learning to conquer the tougher trails with IFS is definatley like learning to wheel again. Completely different feel!!! It is hard to get used to being on three wheels most of the day.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in