Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Daily Driver v. Off-Road Beast

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JDEMELLO 
#1 ·
After 4 long years of waiting (don't ask), I finally took delivery of an Iceberg 2010 FJ Cruiser. It has most of the upgrades except the off-road package. After reading this forum, I thought I would be much better off building up my FJ from scratch.

Now for the dilemma. This will be my daily driver as well as our families adventure car. I need to be able to park it at work in a parking structure with a 7'2'' height limit (and yes, I got the roof-rack since it came already installed). Add to this that my wife is a whopping 5'2" and you might have an idea of where this question is going. Off-roading will primarily be on fire roads, jeep trails, in Baja (assuming it ever is a little more safe). We will also be using the car for ski trips. I don't see any serious rock crawling in this car's immediate future although that may change in five years when it becomes a third car for us.

I would like to start working on suspension upgrades. However, a big lift is out of the question. And whatever I do has to work well for the daily commute. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for suggestions on a GPS system and a good place to locate the unit in my FJ.

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
Go with a quality adjustable coilover suspension. You don't have to extend it to full height right away. May want to add slightly more aggressive tires to prevent puncture and increase traction. Definitely add more armor (skid plate and rock rails). Keep it light. You really don't need much for what you're doing. One can argue that stock FJ will handle what you plan to do just fine.

#5 ·
x2

Get good adjustable coilovers for the front so you can set the height. Also upgrade the rear shocks to match the coilovers. You will really enjoy the upgrade on road and on fire trails and desert trails.

A good set of AT tires will probably be the way to go. The stock size is pretty good. Nitto Terrgrappler seems to be popular or BFG AT KOs, there are quite a few good AT choices out there. MT tires mostly get noisy and rough riding as they age. Tires might be your first upgrade, with suspension next as these are the 2 upgrades you will use every time you drive.

A set of sliders that you can use for steps will also be handy to have. The stock skids are OK for the uses you list, and can be good idea to wear them out first before looking at an upgrade.

#3 ·
Thanks. I am considering a "light duty" OME build along with the stock Rock Rails and after-market skid plates. Again, just want to make sure I am not going to end up adding 3 let alone 2 inches in height if I make the suspension mods and would really like to improve the on-road handling at the same time.....

#6 ·
I put on a 3" Pro Comp with 33" tires. My girl is about 5' tall and doesn't have any problem getting in and out. She is not the tomboy type either. I wouldn't worry too much about that. A 2" lift would be perfect for what you need though. OME would be a great, cost efficient lift. Good luck!

#7 ·
So it begins... After reading more posts than I care to admit, I decided to start with the suspension. Why, hated the nose dive with even light breaking and wanted a better ride both on and off-road. Went with the Icon Stage 1 upgrade. Could not be happier with it. A reasonable amount of lift (as in not too much) and significantly better handling. Also installed Demello Hybrid Sliders (Thanks Jason). Have a Gobi Stealth Rack on order. Will be looking a lights for it next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.