Roof light mounting question. - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Roof light mounting question.

Does mounting a light bar to the OEM roof rack mean you have to drill a hole in the roof to get the wiring into the car?

I've looked at the how-to theads and people definitely drilled holes in the roof... but at the front of my 2010 it looks like there's a white tab you can maybe run wires under, in front of the front mount point of the rack, going down towards the A-pillar. Anyone know if this is true?

I also know you can just run the wires all the way back and into the back door, which is a no-drill solution but requires a heck of a lot of wire.

2010 Iceberg 6MT - 40" Vision-X Reflex LED roof mount on realwheels light bar and oem roof rack, dual iceberg shift knobs, URD short shifter, Cobra 75WXST w/ Bandi mount & 3' firestik.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to genxweb
Re: Roof light mounting question.

There is a video on here I don't remember where that shows removing the A pillar and running the wires in the engine area that way.

Current Silver Stock 2008 FJ: Looking to make some mods.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
genxweb previously said: View Post
There is a video on here I don't remember where that shows removing the A pillar and running the wires in the engine area that way.
Thanks. With or without roof drilling?

2010 Iceberg 6MT - 40" Vision-X Reflex LED roof mount on realwheels light bar and oem roof rack, dual iceberg shift knobs, URD short shifter, Cobra 75WXST w/ Bandi mount & 3' firestik.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Forum Superstar

you bet... you can go through the outside pillar cover. Lastgreatroadtrip.com has the video up on youtube and metcafe.com. Here it is for convenience.

However, if you are running thicker wire or more of them.... you might have to drill the roof. It's painful, I know!

2007 FJ 6MT black -n- black
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

I ordered this connector...head towards the end of thread:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...dor-found.html

This guy did not go through the roof:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...tml#post598563

Steve
In the wild, health care is, Ow, I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me. I'm dead.

2008 TT
285/75/16's, Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, Toytec 2.5" Level Kit, Metal Tech Tube Bumper, Demello Light Bar, PIAA's a plenty, Scangauge II, Trail Gear Sliders(Line-x'd), Body Mount Chop, Undercoating, Budbuilt skid, Morimoto HID/Projector Retrofit headlights, Manik taillight guards, 3 OEM offroad light switches, Honda OH console mod, Aeroforce headlight guards, A loud horn, Totally reconfigured stereo system(2 amps, all Polk speakers, OEM NAV Unit E7019.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
HUGO STIGLITZ previously said: View Post
I ordered this connector...head towards the end of thread:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...dor-found.html

This guy did not go through the roof:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...tml#post598563
Hi, what does that connector do? I read the whole thread and still couldn't deduce it. Do you replace your aftermarket lights' wiring connector with that connector, which lets you plug into whatever wiring exists in the A-pillar inside? (If so,wouldn't you have to drill through the roof for that?)

And if I run the wiring down the outside of the A-pillar as shown in this video, doesn't thatwind up in the engine bay on the wrong side of the firewall? How do i get the wiring back into the cabin?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
icebone previously said: View Post
Hi, what does that connector do? I read the whole thread and still couldn't deduce it. Do you replace your aftermarket lights' wiring connector with that connector, which lets you plug into whatever wiring exists in the A-pillar inside? (If so,wouldn't you have to drill through the roof for that?)

And if I run the wiring down the outside of the A-pillar as shown in this video, doesn't thatwind up in the engine bay on the wrong side of the firewall? How do i get the wiring back into the cabin?
Send PM to Ruebarb...Im not sure how to get to the engine bay using outer -A- pillar route, hes a cool guy and will help you out, Im going through the roof.

That connector is just an option for running wires through your roof(you still have to drill a hole) it is the exact connector Toyota use to get their light wires through the roof with oem airdam w/lights....it has 2 wires, + and - Plus it disconnects and reconnects.

Its suppose to be an excellent connector for watertight integrity

Steve
In the wild, health care is, Ow, I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me. I'm dead.

2008 TT
285/75/16's, Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, Toytec 2.5" Level Kit, Metal Tech Tube Bumper, Demello Light Bar, PIAA's a plenty, Scangauge II, Trail Gear Sliders(Line-x'd), Body Mount Chop, Undercoating, Budbuilt skid, Morimoto HID/Projector Retrofit headlights, Manik taillight guards, 3 OEM offroad light switches, Honda OH console mod, Aeroforce headlight guards, A loud horn, Totally reconfigured stereo system(2 amps, all Polk speakers, OEM NAV Unit E7019.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
icebone previously said: View Post

If you use the no drill method, there is a cover in the end front fender when the door is open that you can run the wire through, then through the fender and under the hood. For the passenger side, I ran the wire across the engine bay to the firewall access hole. For info on how to run wires through the firewall, look at my numerous installs.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...un-fusion.html

If you still need more info I can take some pics

How To Guides
If links are broken, please make a post in that thread.
http://rollmeover.forumer.com/forums.../How-To-Guides

RollMeOver Inclinometer Trial, Check it out
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ollMeOverTrial

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 11:18 PM

Removing the A piilar should allow you to remove the outside pillar of which you can run the wires down. its very simple and there should be no drilling required. plus, drilling has its ups and won. one mistake and its costly.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in