Help! 4WD out! - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Re: Help! 4WD out!

Quote:
Layonnn previously said: View Post
Do you have a rear locker hack as well? Otherwise, how would you be able to actuate the rear locker if the computer doesn't know your in 4LO?
Quote:
Razor J previously said: View Post
layonnn, that is a good point and one I wondered about myself. The green 2 4WD indicator does not light, yet I can engage the rear locker. The light comes on and I hear/feel it engage. Based on this, I assume the front actuator is out and the 4WD indicator is tripped only when the front end engages, not just when the actuator recieves power. Is this correct? Otherwise, I can't explain. I DO NOT have the rear locker hack. I hope this is not some weird computer bug. Come to think of it, I believe I locked the rear diff with the atrac button off. That doesn't make sense to me either. I guess I will see what Toyota says Monday. It sounds like this has not been a problem with the atrac hack itself, but I am still wondering if I should undo it before I take it in (47K miles and extended warr)

Off the top of my head I believe that the rear locker is only tied to the 4lo sensor. It sounds like the 4hi switch (transfer case sensor) is one of the ones that went out or is not working. Therefore your locker will still work in 4Lo - but the ADD will never actuate since the transfer case sensor or ADD itself is not working.

With the Lefty Transfercase I can leave the 4wd lights off (tied to a seperate switch) and shift into 4Lo and the "skidding car light"comes up on the dash. I then have ability to use the rear locker. Based on this I'd say that that switch on 4LO/locker is working fine and either the 4hi or ADD is borken.

Basically the same thing that Lee said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Well guys, that is making some sense--here is something weird, though. I can lock the rear axle with the lever in 4H or 4L, but the 4WD icon never comes on. I have never been able to rear lock in 4H-again, I don't have the locker hack. So the 4L switch has 2 parts? One switch that operates the actuator (not working/open) and one that entergizes the rear locker switch (burned out in closed position?)
I can not lock the rear in 2H.
It makes sense that it is a switch and not actuator problem, but still confusing to me.
I agree that this does seem like an overly complicated set up with too many moving parts for what needs to be accomplished.
I hope the dealership can fix this rather quickly, I'm going to be needing my FJ!
Gary
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had both the 2h-4h and 4l sensor go out and just hacked in and added switches in the cab no more problems!!

ZOMBIE
'07' sil/ti

["To wish for peace;one must prepare for war" Ancient Romans

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in