Light bar mounting - bolts too small? - Page 5 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Light bar mounting - bolts too small?

Your need to be more openminded and less opinionated.
FYI vibration would loosen the bolt.. It needed a more secure way to be mounted.. I gave an easy solution without haveing to search for special bushings.. Ultimately someone recommended a better solution to the fix.. I gave him props for a better idea...
If I were to suggest that when you build your cargo box to rabbit joint all your pieces to get a more secure glue joint and maybe use a construction adhesive and clamp dry all pieces you would give me 5 reasons my idea sucks....

I figure rather then deal with bs I'd rather just get your approval first.. Just because I'm not articulate doesn't mean I'm some idiot that doesn't know much about fabrication or anything else...

Think about the advice you give and the argument to support it.. 3/8" hole 1/4" bolt.. Did you say 1/4" because I said 5/16"?? I think it may be metric and the larger hole might be 1/2" but who cares the issue is to get a fix that's going to last..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

For reference I think this would have been more worthwhile to discuss via PM.

Quote:
DOfj previously said: View Post
FYI vibration would loosen the bolt.. It needed a more secure way to be mounted.. I gave an easy solution without haveing to search for special bushings.. Ultimately someone recommended a better solution to the fix.. I gave him props for a better idea...
I respectfully disagree with you on this, and I apologize if it offends you. I have used nylock nuts for mounting turbo's to manifolds. Such systems experience high vibrations, extremely high compared to a light bar, and I didn't have any issue with the turbo falling off in the middle of the road. Based on that and other experiences with the equipment utilizing nylock nuts (which reduce the impact of vibrations compared to a typical nut) I think he would be fine and he could always use loc-tite as an added safety measure.

If you can explain to me why the nuts would vibrate loose (what is the root cause of this serious vibration), rather than saying "they will vibrate loose", with math or logical reasoning I'd be happy to continue the conversation via PM. At this point I will agree to disagree

I agree that the end solution was the best one proposed.

Quote:
Your need to be more openminded and less opinionated.
This forum is about sharing knowledge based on past experiences on the FJ, other vehicles, and other technology. I apologize again if my feedback has offended you. I've only tried to provide Icebone with feedback on the items he had asked.

Quote:
If I were to suggest that when you build your cargo box to rabbit joint all your pieces to get a more secure glue joint and maybe use a construction adhesive and clamp dry all pieces you would give me 5 reasons my idea sucks....
Actually those are good ideas. Unfortunately for me I'm not skilled woodworker by any means. My goal with the first box I build is to sucessfully build a functional box without any major issues. If I can do that I might venture into building another box with more complicated, but more secure joints, like you suggested.

Quote:
I figure rather then deal with bs I'd rather just get your approval first.. Just because I'm not articulate doesn't mean I'm some idiot that doesn't know much about fabrication or anything else...
I never said you were an idiot or insuated that you were. Nor did I ever say any of your ideas were stupid or that you needed my approval to post them.

You fabricated a nice lighbar mount, so you must know quite a bit

Quote:
Think about the advice you give and the argument to support it.. 3/8" hole 1/4" bolt.. Did you say 1/4" because I said 5/16"?? I think it may be metric and the larger hole might be 1/2" but who cares the issue is to get a fix that's going to last..
Sorry to dissapoint you. I said 1/4" because I own a visionx light bar and think that is what it is off the top of my head. My logic supports the solution I proposed which wasn't as permanent as using JB welded washers and I recommended trying mine as a first step before going to JB weld.

Ultimately someone came up with a better solution which provided sufficient friction & clamping force to prevent any movement in the light

Last edited by FJNewb; 07-21-2010 at 07:57 AM.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

Simmer down tigers!

The FJ is at the Porsche shop. Nice clean shop. I do wonder what they're going to charge me however -- this is Westchester after all. Somehow managed to get it arranged, explained and dropped off without remembering to get an estimate. Oh well.

They're going to try to go down the outside of the A-pillar, so, no driling. We'll see what it looks like. I'll be happy if they get the bar on and it works.

2010 Iceberg 6MT - 40" Vision-X Reflex LED roof mount on realwheels light bar and oem roof rack, dual iceberg shift knobs, URD short shifter, Cobra 75WXST w/ Bandi mount & 3' firestik.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
icebone previously said: View Post
Simmer down tigers!

The FJ is at the Porsche shop. Nice clean shop. I do wonder what they're going to charge me however -- this is Westchester after all. Somehow managed to get it arranged, explained and dropped off without remembering to get an estimate. Oh well.

They're going to try to go down the outside of the A-pillar, so, no driling. We'll see what it looks like. I'll be happy if they get the bar on and it works.
Post up picks, your Q&A with the shop, the price they give you(if you dont mind) and anything else. Im curious like a cat, thats why my friends call me whiskers...(will ferrell doing Harey Carey)

Steve
In the wild, health care is, Ow, I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me. I'm dead.

2008 TT
285/75/16's, Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, Toytec 2.5" Level Kit, Metal Tech Tube Bumper, Demello Light Bar, PIAA's a plenty, Scangauge II, Trail Gear Sliders(Line-x'd), Body Mount Chop, Undercoating, Budbuilt skid, Morimoto HID/Projector Retrofit headlights, Manik taillight guards, 3 OEM offroad light switches, Honda OH console mod, Aeroforce headlight guards, A loud horn, Totally reconfigured stereo system(2 amps, all Polk speakers, OEM NAV Unit E7019.

post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
HUGO STIGLITZ previously said: View Post
Post up picks, your Q&A with the shop, the price they give you(if you dont mind) and anything else. Im curious like a cat, thats why my friends call me whiskers...(will ferrell doing Harey Carey)
Will do, when it's done. I don't have any pics as they drove me home before starting work on the truck... it's full service out here!

I'll def take pics of the install, hopefully they do a nice job with it. And I'll report on what they charge, which will no doubt subject me to intense sniping on here from the "could have done it myself" crowd...

2010 Iceberg 6MT - 40" Vision-X Reflex LED roof mount on realwheels light bar and oem roof rack, dual iceberg shift knobs, URD short shifter, Cobra 75WXST w/ Bandi mount & 3' firestik.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

Is it done yet?

Steve
In the wild, health care is, Ow, I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me. I'm dead.

2008 TT
285/75/16's, Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, Toytec 2.5" Level Kit, Metal Tech Tube Bumper, Demello Light Bar, PIAA's a plenty, Scangauge II, Trail Gear Sliders(Line-x'd), Body Mount Chop, Undercoating, Budbuilt skid, Morimoto HID/Projector Retrofit headlights, Manik taillight guards, 3 OEM offroad light switches, Honda OH console mod, Aeroforce headlight guards, A loud horn, Totally reconfigured stereo system(2 amps, all Polk speakers, OEM NAV Unit E7019.

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 PM

Looking forward to this when it's done.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Uploading pics now...

post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post1700821

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in