off roading and airbags - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: off roading and airbags

Air bags require input from sensors throughout the front of the engine compartment. Damage to just one is not going to set the bag off, damage to two or more is required. this damage only occurs if the limit of the bumper has been surpassed, which means that if you have a 5 or 10 mph bumper you have to be going in excess of that particular speed to exceed the "breaking point" of the bumper, or what ever hitting you is in excess of that speed or pressure required to produce said effect, at which time the sensors will register damage and deploy that air bags. This is why if you are hit in the rear, your air bags do not deploy, engineers in there infinite wisdom deems that a rear impact is not a necessary situation for the airbag deployment. The role over code is for the sensors that detect a, strangely enough, a role over of the vehicle and deploys the side curtain airbags, these are activated by an attitude switch that if you go passed a certain angle it registers a role over and blows the bags. I am uncertain in older models but in my 2010 I have a switch that i flip to turn this function off. If they have provided a function in which in 4 -h or 4-l that the air bags are turned off i am unaware, though i do believe that you should be safe for wheeling if you hit hard or jarring the heck out of yourself in normal situations, if you plan on crawling i would address this issue. If that is not the case, HAVE FUN and if it blows, breath deep and cough out all the cornstarch that comes with it!

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government."

Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mad_mechanix
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: off roading and airbags

ALL new vehicles have Low speed settings under certain speeds. It takes a certain amount of Gforce to set those off. I have seen several videos of guys tag trees or rocks with out setting them off.. all where under 20mph..I have replaced air bags in a car that was parked, engine running, was hit hard in the front end and the bags deployed... The "off" setting in 4low I didnt know about on the FJ. Thats cool to know If it is indeed the case...

Click for

ANd thats Just the Beginning!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^^^^^

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in