Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Reverse Winching How To:

19K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  Mr.FJT 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In case anyone wanted to know how to reverse winch with a front mount winch. Here is a chart on how. Attached below.

Use five snatch blocks. One on each of the trees, but the last tree you want to use two and one from the rear bumper back to the last tree then back to the open shackle not being used on the rear bumper. The video explains this way. My little chart I made is what they talk about in the video.

You need at least.:sunny:
1. Min. of three tree's
2. Five Snatch Block's/pulleys
3. Six shackle's
4. Four Tree Trunk Strap's

Attachments

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
Your drawing is missing a critical snatchblock located at the rear of the truck. This would make the bitter end actually terminate at the last tree giving the mechanical advantage by reduction to the rear of the vehicle.

#6 ·
Ya'll go ahead and carry a hundred extra pounds in a big container full of snatch blocks, shackles, tree savers, straps, winch line extensions, etc. I'll just get the guy behind me to winch me or strap me out if I can't winch myself out going forward. :)

#9 ·
Amen... :lol:

On a similar note, I don't even carry a winch since (at least in my terrain, yours may vary) it's easier, safer, and faster 99% of the time to use a tow or kinetic strap...

However! Cool thread.... it's good to get people thinking about the mechanics of winching. If you thoroughly understand what's going on here, that's a good start.

#11 ·
This has been posted at least twice before even with the same video.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/102355-reverse-winching.html
&
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/77308-winching-backwards.html

Bottom line - the ability to be able to do this is great if you are a one or two rig team but for typical runs you just have the guy (or girl Athena ;)) behind you yank your stuck butt out. :lol:

It does require a fair amount of gear and line/cable length.

#12 ·
people, please also consider this information is for what it's worth and just that....

always good to take courses or read up from a valuable source to do it right

#14 ·
you're going to get in trouble :ninja:

#16 ·
:) just kiddin ;)

#18 · (Edited)
I know its not safe but I wheel alot alone. My job takes me in to some hard to get to places. By the way it is not that big of a deal to carry this stuff as shakles and snatch blocks are not that big. I carry three to six straps every time I go out. :simmadown:

Everyone talks about lifts and lights but hardly ever I see recovery talk. I just want to spark it up.

#19 ·
I carry 3-4 straps of various size and have probably 1/2 dozen shackles and a snatch block. Still a long way from being able to accomplish this. but, it is still worthy information... regardless of how practical it is. Eventhough I have seen the other threads and vids.. i still watched this one through to the end. Along with equipment, you can't ever have too much information.

#24 ·
The tie downs in the rear are pretty small. I have added many more with heavier hardware and swapped out the originals as well. I generally strap my winch down in the back with 3 rachet straps. Wheeling with the winch and cradle installed would be silly.

#27 ·

#28 ·
Not to pee on your parade or anything but all this talk of several straps and shackles and blocks will only hope you in this scenario if you have some very conveniently placed trees and one hellllllllllllllllluva long winch line. I'd suggest you also carry at least one extra length of winch line, which is really a good idea anyway (as is multiple blocks and several shackles) if you are out by yourself.

#33 ·
we have two receiving posts that are angled different ways.

#35 ·
We as in the hubby and I, as it's our set up, it's custom, we did it ourselves.

#38 · (Edited)
#40 ·
Steve, did you ever wrestle in high school? Do you remember what a "ball and chain" is. Picture this: You're behind your opponent. You reach (gulp) between his legs and grab his wrist. You then pull up and back on his wrist with one hand as you push forward on his back with the other hand. He falls hard (no pun) on his face.

Your rear winch via the front bumper and D-ring reminds me of a ball and chain. But as much as I've racked (pun intended) my brain, I can't come up with a reason (beyond what you pointed out - damage to skid) why that wouldn't work.

- The winch can't "tell" the difference; the load is still straight in - because of the roller lead.
- The risk of the back end coming up (as in the ball and chain) is eliminated with the D-ring.

Other than really testing the integrity of the bumper mounts... it seems like it'd work.

#52 ·
TheBillyspradlinshow

That guy is clearly a raging moron and a douchebag. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt with all the deep water and mud crossings - maybe it's private land??? But when he started driving over standing (live!) trees like they were traffic cones... Okay, maybe it is private land. Maybe he's building a road, collecting firewood, harvesting trees to build orphanages... but void of any plausible explanation - that video is killer ammo for the trail-closing green gang.

So, look at the video - but don't link it, post it, etc. And hope it doesn't pervade the interwebs.

#57 · (Edited)
Layonnn take a chill pill. I was only showing a cable set up like explained. If you look you can see the cable being ran from the winch under the coach to the rear.

I am not a politician and running for an office. Chill out. It is nothing that anyone with a computer can not find, like I did. I am sure they have better evidence than this video to close trails as does the other side to keep them open.

Sheeeesh.....Plus dude Youtube is Full of FJ's that is great fuel for what did you call them Green People?

#58 · (Edited)
Layonnn take a chill pill. I was only showing a cable set up like explained. If you look you can see the cable being ran from the winch under the coach to the rear.

I am not a politician and running for an office. Chill out. It is nothing that anyone with a computer can not find, like I did. I am sure they have better evidence than this video to close trails as does the other side to keep them open.

Sheeeesh.....
Yeah, sorry.

I just get a little mad when i see videos like that. I'm pretty far from a tree hugger, but tearing down trees just for the fun of it, not even to use for anything, just gets a little under my skin.

I still think that the method you presented in the first post is a better choice. :cheers:

And i know that Youtube is full of people not "Treading Lightly". And i also know that trails that have been open forever are getting closed recently :(

#60 ·
cough FJ cough

;)

No doubt, those Volvo's and their portal axles, insane approach/departure angles, and tough as nails, they can go just about anywhere offroad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.