Drain that Mudhole! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Drain that Mudhole!

Yesterday I was cruising on some wildlife management trails and came up on a nasty looking mudhole. A key indicator that you may get stuck is all of the broken tow straps and truck parts in the woods around it. The logs and ruts coming out of it didn't make me feel any better. I decided to check it out on foot and the hole tried to swallow me up in it's slushy mud.

I was by myself with only my hi lift and street tires and didn't want to get stuck. I don't know why, but I decided to see if I could get all of the water out of the hole.

I dug an irrigation ditch and watched a solid 8 inches of water drain out into the woods! There was only a few small puddles left over. I was able to strategically place some debris and drive through the hole with no issues!

Has anyone else ever used this technique?
YOUTUBE LINK
GOPR1951 - YouTube

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Drain that Mudhole!

cool story dude

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

While I'm not a big fan of playing in the mud, I know there are those people out there. I've read a lot that it's best to leave trails as you find them. So if you need to stack rocks to get over an obstacle, according to some people the correct thing to do is remove them after you made it so that the next person to come along can try to tackle the obstacle as is without having to remove the aids somebody else put in place. Based on that logic draining a mudhole could really piss some mud boggers off. Not saying you shouldn't have done what you did, especially considering it was on a wildlife management trail. Just a thought. Looks like creative solution though, but it's probably not a best practice to adopt on dedicated four-wheeling trails.

Also there seems to be a lot of trash in your neck of the woods

'07 VB FJ 6MT, 3'' OME, 285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 16x8 ATX Chamber Teflons, Demello Front Bumper, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Lightforce 170s, Trail Gear sliders, SCUBA Mod and some other minor doodads...

The Ultimate Toolbox: Duct tape - For things that move but shouldn't; WD40 - For things that don't move but should.

My build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 07:17 PM
t0m
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage

I would have taken the trash out, but not drain it. Then proceed to get stuck in the mudhole.

This is me with street tires (GY Armortracs) in a stock truck. And I have been thru a lot worst mudholes.

2008 Titanium Silver FJC

USN HTC(EXW). OIF, OEF, OND 06-07, 10-11

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in