Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

HL gear problem?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gj1400 
#1 ·
When the 4 wheel gear is in HL position (M/T model), turning steering wheel all the way , and once car is stopped (like trying to park the car) , I'll have difficulity moving FJ forward again. lt seams like car is trying to stop even I am accelerating. In this condition, the gear won't change or takes 2-3 minuts to change even if I move it to HH positon (it will reset if I turn off the ignition and turn back on).

Is this normal ?

#2 ·
kinda sounds like it is just binding up.....i have the A/T and have not had any problems....but I'd say it's just the strain of having it in a full turn....

#3 ·
Why are you trying to "park" etc. when in HL? You have the center diff locked, and are seriously binding the system. The axles are trying to rotate at different speeds but cannot due to the locked center diff. (and that serious pressure created within it is causing difficulty getting it unlocked)

#5 ·
yikes!

dude back up the same way that you went forward.

ie...if you turned hard left and then couldn't go further...stop..and back up

HL is not made for on-road use.

in fact, you'll probably hardly ever use it unless you're in sand or mud...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.