Stock recovery points - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Stock recovery points

The rear hookup point is bolted to the frame with two bolts. Is it strong enough to handle the load of pulling, probably. I wouldn't trust it though, and the loops are a bit on the small side which doesn't help.

Project Broccoli 2011 TT 6MT, ICON, TOTAL CHAOS, AND MOREhttps://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...mus-prime.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks Cyclosarin, I often read mags from Australia and it looks like an amazing place. Seeing all the offroad trailers you guys have is making me really want one too. Havent gotten down there yet but definitely will. I will look for that strap up here.
Cheers

Quote:
cyclosarin previously said: View Post
It's called an Equaliser Strap. Basically a short snatch strap. You then take a full length snatch strap and loop it through the equaliser strap (you end up with an 'X' or a 'Y' shape between the vehicles).
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Yeah, think i will go with the receiver hitch set up in the rear. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Greggry previously said: View Post
The rear hookup point is bolted to the frame with two bolts. Is it strong enough to handle the load of pulling, probably. I wouldn't trust it though, and the loops are a bit on the small side which doesn't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know where to locate the Trail Teams Videos?

Quote:
Constantine previously said: View Post
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Where would you suggest mounting a D ring for a recovery point on the back or front? Would use it in conjunction with the OEM points for added peace of mind.

Also... I am still a noob with DIY installs. What is a good hitch to put on the FJ? Does it require a lot of work? I have a 2010 and did not include the tow package when I bought it.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
hewster previously said: View Post
Where would you suggest mounting a D ring for a recovery point on the back or front? Would use it in conjunction with the OEM points for added peace of mind.

Also... I am still a noob with DIY installs. What is a good hitch to put on the FJ? Does it require a lot of work? I have a 2010 and did not include the tow package when I bought it.
Any aftermarket receiver hitch is easy to install. The wiring for the trailer lights plug can be a pain though.....
Not sure what you are planning to tow but the oem hitch cannot be used with equalizer bars, something to consider because its not too late to buy an oem hitch. Lots more expensive but the wiring is more plug and play than an aftermarket alternative. I got my reese hitch from amazon and the wiring from jc whitney.

Last edited by hobojon; 10-20-2012 at 02:31 PM.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

You can add the tow package (the hitch) which bolts to the frame for pretty cheap. Then just put something like shown above with a shackle in the receiver. Either that or have a custom shackle made that bolts in where the factory rear one goes, and maybe even have it welded. The two biggest issues I had for the factory hook points are 1) they have a small opening and that made it a PITA to put my strap through them. and B) they aren't removeable which could cause issues depending on what strap/how your going to pull on them.

Project Broccoli 2011 TT 6MT, ICON, TOTAL CHAOS, AND MOREhttps://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...mus-prime.html
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
The factory hitch is available as a not to difficult DIY add-on. The hitch and the wiring package are available separate or together as a kit depending on where you get it. The hitch is in the $150 ish range and the wiring harness is about $85. This site shows the install GEORGIA FJ CRUISER - Accessories and Upgrades - Factory Tow Hitch Install

These two docs show the toyota install instructions. I did my own installation and it was not difficult at all. Electrical is plug and play and the hitch is an easy bolt on project.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tow Hitch Install.pdf (273.0 KB, 239 views)
File Type: pdf Towing Wire Harness.pdf (503.2 KB, 285 views)

Please Donate to http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
コンスタンティン I don't argue with Idiots. You can't fix stupid
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

So I see in the vid he is using d rings attached to the recovery points. Any reason he doesn't just hook up to the points with the strap?

I am trying to decide if a tow hitch is worth it just to pull/recover.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Quote:
So I see in the vid he is using d rings attached to the recovery points. Any reason he doesn't just hook up to the points with the strap?

I am trying to decide if a tow hitch is worth it just to pull/recover.
There's not really another good way to attach a strap since they are closed loops.

Jessica

2011 Cavalry Blue with some added stuff.

Quote:
Iconic_ previously said:
Donít be afraid to use your rig! Dents can be popped out, scratches can be buffed out, but in the end the memories you have make it so worth it!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in