Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Rear Diff lock and atrac (no mod?)

10K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  BOSTON4RUNNER 
#1 ·
I searched, found a ton of info, but just want to double check,.

Question,

If the rear diff is locked atrac will not work on a stock (non modified) FJ?

I was out on Sunday in the snow. I have never had to lock the diff before, but on this hill I thought I would try. I locked the diff (4lo) and atrac stayed on. The light on the dash showed it was on and the diff was locked and it was working when I tried the hill. Is this the norm? I thought this was the mod that everyone was doing and that came stock on the TRD FJ.

See less See more
#4 ·
It is not suppose to, unless you own the SE model.
I did think I read here somewhere all future FJs coming off the line may have this too.

How new is your FJ?

Regardless, I am doing the hack over Christmas vacation.

#5 ·
Thats what I thought. Wonder why mine has it, no complaning from me.

I love it. I could see why you would do this mod. I tryed the same hill w/4lo then with 4lo atrac on, then diff locked without atrac then atrac on. I made it futher up with the diff locked and atrac on. A better drive could have gone all the way I bet.

#6 ·
You know, I am going to have to check mine and see if my A trac and E locker work together.

I got my rig towards the end of July, Toyota may have done something by then.

This is interesting.
Regardless, you do not need to do the famous hack.

#10 ·
It never occured to me to try both buttons either.

So I tried mine today. The Atrac stays on when you engage the Elocker.
Apparently when they made the change for the SE they changed them
all.
Mine arrived at the dealer Nov. 6, The serial number is 49841
It would be interesting to know when the change actually happened.

I checked the owners manual that came with the FJ as opposed to the .pdf manual that is on the net that I have been using, and on page 133, there is a list of the systems that do not operate with the diff lock. The last item listed in the .pdf manual is Atrac. The same page in the manual that came with my FJ, the Atrac reference has been removed. Guess I need to read the paper manual.

Nice find Chris. I sure would have hated to find this out after I did the hack.

#19 ·
Mine is 48321 and does not work. OzarkFjs is 49841 and works, Superstar555 is 49159 and does not work so somewhere between 49159 and 49841 Toyota made the change. Hmmm, wonder if Toyota is going to offer a reflash. I am going to call and make this a customer satisfaction issue. I paid the same price as everyone else.

#23 ·
Well, this sure clears up a lot for me. That was my question. I was wondering why my ABS light was on when I had both ATRAC and RD-LOCK engaged. Now I know that my FJ is simply a Post-November baby................
I hope.

#24 ·
I tried mine tonight, vin # 44xxx , put it in 4Lo, pushed the A-Trac button and started driving slowing, then pushed the Rear Diff button and both A-Trac and Rear Diff stayed on while driving. What's wierd is that, while cycling thru this process a few times, I've also had the A-trac click off when I push the Rear Diff button as well. Wierd...

#26 ·
Mine works without the mod. Serial number 49612, haven't checked the manual yet, because I am on vacation. I purchased mine on 11/4/2006, in Washington state. I hope this helps narrow down the serial numbers.

#30 · (Edited)
hi

can someone tell me where the serial number is located and what range of numbers may have the atrac and e locker enabled to work together from the factory

I am looking at a used fj tonight, it is a 2007

I will try using the atrac and elocker at once, see what happens, but am curious as to what serial numbers, are likely to have this and where the number is located

This is the VIN of the truck i am looking at, does this tell me anything?
JTEBU11F970015446

I am also looking at another one which has a vin of
JTEBU11F170083904

#31 ·
You will need to look at the sticker in the driver's door jamb. There you will see the production date along with the VIN. If the production date is 11/06 or later then the A-trac and RR Diff will work together from the factory. Some of the 10/06 builds will, but for sure 11/06 and later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.