Proper use of recovery gear - A how to discussion - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Proper use of recovery gear - A how to discussion

After seeing a very morbid video in the general discussion forum referencing a failed recovery attempt, I have decided to start a discussion on what exactly is the proper user of recovery gear. What is obvious to one person may not be so obvious to someone else.

Hopefully this thread discussion can serve as a more positive influence on proper recovery techniques for all experience levels. I know I will be reviewing it before some of our adventures.

ARB recovery techniques, proper gear use, and general care / maintenance:
Recovery Techniques & Equipment
Gear should be inspected at the beginning of the season and after each use for cleanliness and serviceability.
Quote:
General Care and Maintenance
  • Never exceed the minimum breaking strength of the strap, snatch block or bow shackles
  • Ensure attachments such as hooks, shackles, chains, cables and clevis pins have a breaking strength equal to or greater than the strap
  • Avoid twists and kinks in the webbing
  • Always coil your straps during storage
  • Never allow your straps to rub against sharp or hot surfaces
  • Clean your straps in warm water with a mild detergent and allow to dry thoroughly before storage. The ingress of foreign material such as sand and grit can permanently damage the fibres of the strap.
  • Inspect the entire length of any strap for nicks and cuts before and after use. If damaged, the strap may fail and should be replaced
  • Never use the strap as a lifting device
  • Be aware that a strap can lose up to 20% strength when wet
  • Keep your standard snatch block lubricated via the grease nipple. 9000 ultra light models do not require greasing as they have a self lubricating polymer pulley. Remove any foreign matter from the working surfaces of the pulley
  • Inspect all bow shackles for damage. Pins that are hard to turn suggest that the shackle has been overstressed and should be replaced
Quote:
NOTE: Due to the nature of synthetic fibers, recovery straps require rest periods between use to return to their original length and capacity. Be aware that excessive pulls on a recovery strap over a short period of time can cause build up of heat and possible failure.
ARB's discussion regarding Recovery Points vs. Tow Points
ARB Recovery Points | ARB 4x4 Accessories
Quote:
ARBís recovery point range seeks to address issues surrounding generic tow points and their unsuitability for a range of recovery situations. These issues include questionable and untested mounting locations, confusion regarding the selection of rated shackles and straps, and the inability of generic tow points to safely handle stresses generated by an angled pull during vehicle recovery.
Shackles: Everything you wanted to know and some stuff you don't.
The meat of this safety webinar runs from the 3min to 30min mark. 3min to 14:30 covers shackle construction materials. 14:30min to 17min covers inspection. 17min to 30min covers proper rigging. This should allow everyone a better way to view the video in pieces as time allows. Everything after the 30min mark is Q&A. Granted the discussion is mostly oriented toward lifting, IMO the information translates well to the winching community.
Safety Webinar: Proper Use of Shackles

Rated Recovery Points:

Snatch strap recovery techniques:

Ask an Expert 031: Attaching a Snatch Strap - YouTube

Snatch Strap Recovery Techniques - YouTube

Mad Matt's Snatch Strap Recovery Tips - YouTube

TJM gives a good example of progressively stronger pulls.

TJM Recovery - YouTube

Winch Techniques:

How to winch a 4X4 - YouTube

Steep Hill recovery

Single line pull / Snatch block / proper hook orientation:

Winching: Single Line and Snatch Block Demonstration - FreaksAndJeeps.com - YouTube

Special Note: A recovery damper (blanket) style device should be used on each section of rope extending from a pulley. In the case of the video below, 4 is appropriate number.
Reverse Winching

Advanced techniques - Using two winches:
4x4 Winching Techniques - Multiple winches

Synthetic vs. Wire winch rope:
Wire Cable vs Synthetic Winch Rope - YouTube

Winching with Synthetic Rope:
Winching with Synthetic winch rope - YouTube

MaxTrax or TRED style devices:
Emphasis: proper placement, should allow an opportunity for the vehicle to idle up and onto the trax. Spinning your tires on the top of the trax risks damaging them.

MAXTRAX Recovery Device Rob Fraser Review - YouTube

About the 100% Australian TRED recovery device - YouTube

Smittybilt Beaver Step - 10,000lb rated
Beaver Step - Smittybilt

Hi - Lift Jack:
Contributed by Forum Member/Moderator Old Cruiser:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ift-works.html

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ch-safely.html

Pull Pal.
Pull-Pal winch anchor, foldable land anchors for 4x4, Jeep, ATV, UTV, off-road, all-terrain-vehicles

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winching without the Worry | Expedition Portal.pdf (2.15 MB, 309 views)
File Type: pdf Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive (recovery bible).pdf (1.52 MB, 501 views)

My Build Thread - The Boontoolies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Re: Proper use of recovery gear - A how to discussion

Awesome post!! Being a noob I will reference this for sure.
sweptwingnut and TALON316 like this.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage

Good call! I'm sure there's one of these somewehre that was half completed and ignored, but oh well...

Here's My $0.02, regarding my favorite peice of recovery gear.... Instead of a recovery shackle in the 2" receiver, or the 2 on the bumper (If you have them.. I do, have only used them once) I HIGHLY recommend this "piece of kit". It's solid forged steel, and I put grip tape on mine to step up to the bumper/cargo bay in easy steps.

Beaver Step - Smittybilt
sweptwingnut and gmurrell like this.

I'm never off-road... The road is where my wheels are!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I notice that Smittybilt rates this device as a 10,000lb "TOW" strap point. Not sure if their intention qualifies as a "RECOVERY" point. Or even if the semantics makes a difference.

In either case, this is a good demonstration on multiple approved methods to attach a TOW strap to the Smittybilt Beaver Step. Updated Post 1 accordingly.

post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)

Here is a thread I wrote a few years back on proper use of a Hi-Lift

sweptwingnut likes this.

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"... SOLD to Colin
The Build-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

The GTR Build- Meet Zim---> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-meet-zim.html
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
sweptwingnut previously said: View Post

I notice that Smittybilt rates this device as a 10,000lb "TOW" strap point. Not sure if their intention qualifies as a "RECOVERY" point. Or even if the semantics makes a difference.
Yeah, I trust my eyes over semantics....

The thing weighs durn near 10lb, and it's advertised as forged (rather than cast). The flash line around the edge matches what a forging would come out like, so I trust that statement.
That being said, as a mechanical engineer, my official estimation is you could swing your truck in circles over your head by this thing.....
Assuming you had a stout enough hitch pin.
sweptwingnut and TALON316 like this.

I'm never off-road... The road is where my wheels are!

post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Hipbilly previously said: View Post
That being said, as a mechanical engineer, my official estimation is you could swing your truck in circles over your head by this thing.....
Assuming you had a stout enough hitch pin.
I hear ya!

After seeing a pretty morbid video earlier today I have my geek glasses on.

post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Old Cruiser previously said: View Post
Here is a thread I wrote a few years back on proper use of a Hi-Lift

Excellent OC!! Post 1 updated.

post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
sweptwingnut previously said: View Post
After seeing a very morbid video in the general discussion forum referencing a failed recovery attempt, I have decided to start a discussion on what exactly is the proper user of recovery gear. What is obvious to one person may not be so obvious to someone else.

Hopefully this thread discussion can serve as a more positive influence on proper recovery techniques for all experience levels. I know I will be reviewing it before some of our adventures.
Great idea sweptwingnut! Everyone can use more training on recovery equipment and techniques, and be reminded of the dangers involved if not done correctly.
sweptwingnut likes this.

"Show him not, your kind mercies, from the laws that he forgot he wrote. - John Fullbright: The Fat Man

BOYCOTT SHOW LOW ARIZONA, The photo speed trap capital of the U.S.!!!

2012 Iceberg FJ with off road package
Custom Yaesu Radio Mount
Aluminess front winch bumper with Superwinch Talon 9.5
Aluminess rear bumper with dual swing outs
Custom bar for rear door to attach storage bags
Mounted tool box drawer base for storage.
Custom roof rack basket for Oztent.
Iron Man suspension
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

From these threads

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...overy-kit.html

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ch-safely.html

Quote:
FJNewb previously said: View Post
Everyone's mentioned a lot of great components.

One important thing to keep in mind is proper use and selection of the gear you have or purchase. The offroad industry lacks any form of standards (or verifications) compared to similar industires - hoisting/rigging (vertical lifts). The hoisting industry has an entire body dedicated to the safe practices and governance in lifting objects along with equipment standards. In the offroad industry for recovery equipment you'll often see mfgs making all sorts of claims about their product quality and load ratings based on no established standards (pretty nice for the mfgs isn't it). Understanding the weak links is essential to safe recovery operations.

The reason I bring this up is folks often have little understanding of the true loads involved in a vehicle recovery which often results in improper selection of equipment (with little to no saftey margin), improper use of gear, or simply unsafe work practices.

For example a 12,000lb winch is a great thing, but few folks consider the line rating or how the line is terminated. Let say it has a great 1/2" wire rope with a break strenght around ~17klb, its off little use if that wire rope terminates in an underated hook or has an improperly done end termination. Unfortunatley, I'm guessing only a few folks on this forum even have an understanding of what is a proper end termination vs. improper (and quite a few products have improper). The mfgs of recovery equipment do a poor job of communicating information like this and with no standards there is a significant disregard for safety margins and best practices throughout the community.

Just to give you a high level example of the types of loads you could see when recovering a vehicle. An FJ with its frame caught up on rocks on a 30 degree uphill slope would take about around ~19,000lbs of force to recover the vehicle (refer to hoisting industry standards and army's guide to recovery for calculations). Normally folks carry a 8-9lkb winch and in the best cases a 12klb winch - needless to say you'll need more than the winch alone to enable recovery with a decent safety margin (foreign topic in the offroad industry).

Here are some resources for great info on recovery:
DOE Hoisting & Rigging Manual DOE: HSS - redirect
Army Guide to Vehicle Recovery - http://www.archive.org/download/Fm20...Operations.pdf

ImpulseRed and sweptwingnut like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in