Should I drop my front diff? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to shack
Re: Should I drop my front diff?

I'm wondering why everyone is commenting on how hard it is to run skids with a dif drop? Its no harder than running skids without a dif drop. I run a Ricochet HD skid with my ToyTec dif drop and they work together fine. Admittedly, I have no experience with other skids (Bud's, AP, RCI, MAF, etc) so they might be different.

There are a few things to consider when deciding whether or not you need a dif drop, and the most important is the lift. Most everyone here runs a "3 inch lift", but theres actually a lot of inconsistency in how much additional height a "3 inch lift" provides. OME 3" lifts differ on the spring rate, but IIRC, my 886 coils measured out to provide a 2.5" lift. I had a Rough Country spacer lift before that and it measured out to 3" exactly. I'm currently running Icon's and I can dial my ride height in wherever I want. Other lifts only provide 2", so keep in mind that a CV on a 2" lift will perform differently than a CV on an actual 3" lift. The more lift you have, the greater the angle on your CV's.

Offroad clearance is the other consideration, and while your dif drop might affect your obstacle clearing somewhat, keep in mind that if your hitting your skid after a dif drop, you're also going to be hitting your lower links, your shock and link mounts and your rear dif. Something to keep in mind.

CV's are under the least amount of stress when they are perfectly horizontal. A 3" lift will put additional stress on your CV's. They might last their normal lifespan, or not. A dif drop is cheap insurance to potentially prevent this. With my OME 886's up front, my CV's were under a lot of stress and would constantly leak grease. I used Bandi's suggestion to use the Norma clamps to prevent the CV's from leaking, and it worked for a while. I added the dif drop and have had no additional issues, even after replacing my drivers side CV.

Last edited by shack; 11-04-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
shack previously said: View Post
I'm wondering why everyone is commenting on how hard it is to run skids with a dif drop? Its no harder than running skids without a dif drop. I run a Ricochet HD skid with my ToyTec dif drop and they work together fine.
I suspect your FJ is pre 2010. Later models have radiator support bars that also require spacing with the diff drop. Brad himself has told me Ricochet does not support diff drops on 2010+ models due to these complications. Below is his response to my question of putting his skids on my 2011 with Toytec diff drop.

"Here is my recommendation:
Remove the diff drop, you don't need it. Leave the sway bar relocate in place you will need that. If the rad support bars needed to be dropped to clear the sway bar, then you need to cut the anemic middle portion of those bars out and bolt the ends back on as stock. If those bars have not been spaced down then you don't need to worry about them. Ricochet skids are not compatible with a diff drop."
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to shack

Quote:
1GreenYota previously said: View Post
I suspect your FJ is pre 2010. Later models have radiator support bars that also require spacing with the diff drop. Brad himself has told me Ricochet does not support diff drops on 2010+ models due to these complications. Below is his response to my question of putting his skids on my 2011 with Toytec diff drop.

"Here is my recommendation:
Remove the diff drop, you don't need it. Leave the sway bar relocate in place you will need that. If the rad support bars needed to be dropped to clear the sway bar, then you need to cut the anemic middle portion of those bars out and bolt the ends back on as stock. If those bars have not been spaced down then you don't need to worry about them. Ricochet skids are not compatible with a diff drop."
That would be correct. I have an 08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I just hit this wall today. My FJ is a 2012, 3" Toytec lift, with a diff drop (came with lift) and I planned on getting Ricochet skids only for Brad at Ricochet to tell me it won't fit well. If I want aftermarket skids, it seems like I am forced into removing the diff drop (which I assume should be fairly simple). Previously, the diff drop felt like good insurance since both Toytec and Desert Rat told me I needed it. Now I think I'll remove it and get the Norma clamps to prevent possible future boot leaks. This should get me back on the road to aftermarket skids. I hope ....
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Personally I wouldn't get into the Norma clamps until you need them. You may never need to.
Geezer and Andyy like this.

2012 FJ Cruiser, Silver Fresco Metallic, Convenience and Upgrade packages, Roof Rack, and Towing package, Toytec Boss 3" lift, Light Racing UCA, BMC, Warn Front and Rear Bumpers, Warn Zeon 10-s Winch, Factor 55 Flatlink and Winch Lock, OEM Rock Rails, MB 352 16 X 8.5 -6 offset Wheels, 305/70-16 Goodyear DuraTracs, PIAA 520 Series Driving Lights, Baja Rack Insert, Hi-Lift extreme, DeMello roof rack mounts, Scuba Mod, RCI Front, Transmission, Transfer Case, and Lower Control Arm Skids, Red Line Land Cruiser Lower Link Skids, Ellis Precision Shifter Knobs, Heated Seats, Boztec CB mount, 3' Firestik, Midland 75-822 CB Radio, Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS, hood decal blackout, 10 lb. CO2 PowerTank
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Jacoblax6 previously said: View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I plan on wheeling my FJ (why someone would spend all this time and money not to off road is beyond me.)
I remember being single and not having a kid once....
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
eisenfaust previously said: View Post
I remember being single and not having a kid once....
Haha yea it's pretty nice
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Garage

I had the leaky seals also. Bought the clamp kit & adjusted the seals. Now I have new rebuilt CV shafts with the drop kit and no seeping. paid 20$ for an AL drop kit your call but cheap.

[SIGPIC]07 Sun fusion MT 887X OME Bilstein 5100 TRD short throw shifter Overhead console MOD TRD intake, ARB front & red eye rear bumpers Flow master CAT back EXH 9500 Engo Winch Demello Hybrid sliders Snorkel lefty T case
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Basil previously said: View Post
If you don't off road at all, then do it
If you do then its not worth the loss of clearance.
As mentioned above, the purpose of the diff drop is to maintain the CV axle closer to straight and horizontal, because the CV joints are weaker at more extreme angles. So I would say the opposite - do the diff drop if you are going off road (especially rock crawling), but don't bother for a road rig.

As for skid plate fitment...well I've been offroading for 15 years without aftermarket skid plates and it's never been a problem.

Steve in MN, sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)

Quote:
Serenity Now previously said: View Post
As mentioned above, the purpose of the diff drop is to maintain the CV axle closer to straight and horizontal, because the CV joints are weaker at more extreme angles. So I would say the opposite - do the diff drop if you are going off road (especially rock crawling), but don't bother for a road rig.

As for skid plate fitment...well I've been offroading for 15 years without aftermarket skid plates and it's never been a problem.

You probably don't wheel like I do then...

Rock crawling with IFS is all about ground clearance, ask guys who actually wheel their rigs if they would want to loose a inch in clearance.

As for the skids, my stock ones where bent on the first time wheeling, and my aftermarket ones are bent also, I use my rig.
BIGGUY, algonaman and ImpulseRed like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in