Does lifting a rig void warranty? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Does lifting a rig void warranty?

MY local Toyota dealership doesn't seem too concerned with my plan to put an OME lift on my FJ.

Others on here have mentioned that their dealerships have advised them that it was a dealership-required install in order not to void the warranty.

What's the catch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Does lifting a rig void warranty?

i have a rough country 3 inch lift , put on by a friend and myself. took it to the dealer for the 15 thousand service, all they said was , your rig really looks good with the lift. and i asked my rep about it he said no problem..
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Forum Master

Location: Deathbridge, Alberta, Canada / TLCA member #18143 I didn't realize how much space was here
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

They'll ask for your first born to cover costs on install.

Thanks Max-9 for this great sig line
Is it "Manly" to shoot beer out of your nose while laughing....
LOL!........Ya Drunk Drivin Nick Nolte knucklehead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Just got off the phone with the warranty manager.

They now say it DOES need to be installed by a Toyota shop to keep warranty intacted.

Shinannigans.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
WordFliesNverted previously said: View Post
Just got off the phone with the warranty manager.

They now say it DOES need to be installed by a Toyota shop to keep warranty intacted.

Shinannigans.
They like to tell you that. However that is not the case. See the Magnusson-Moss act

No aftermarket part or accessory that is properly installed on your vehicle will entirely void your original vehicle manufacturers warranty. According to the provisions in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, It is the dealership's responsibility to prove that your modification directly caused or affected the failure you are trying to resolve. With that said, some dealerships are more performance-oriented than others and are more willing to work with customers.

Warranty-related materials, published by the new vehicle manufacturers, state that the installation of aftermarket parts have no effect on the warranty unless such equipment causes the problem that leads to the warranty claim. Nonetheless, some dealers have improperly denied warranty claims even though the claim had nothing to do with aftermarket parts. I.E., just because you install an exhaust system, your suspension failure warranty claim cannot be denied. If you experience a problem with an uncooperative dealership, point out the provisions of the this "FEDERAL ACT". For more information call your vehicle manufacturer or click on the link above to go directly to the Federal Trade Commission's website to find out more about this law.

You can do a search and get more info. But if you mention the act to the service manager I am sure you will hear their opinion change to "Your warranty is voided if the modification is the cause of the issue up for warranty." Or something along those lines.

Kilted God of FJCCentral.com

Black Cherry "Molly"
AT, Conv. Pkg, Option pkg 2, Trail Gear sliders, ARB Bumper, All Pro Coil Overs w/resivoir, Hood Protector, Window Ventshades, PIAA 520 Driving Lights, Python Remote Start, Wet Okole seat covers

It's good to be God

Last edited by KiltedBishop; 12-31-2007 at 12:17 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Forum Veteran

Here is what you have to use if the dealer starts to get froggy when you bring in your fj for warranty work. They will not warranty the aftermarket parts but they have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part caused the toyota part to fail. So don't just be sucked into the dealer's way of selling you a part that is covered.

CAN AN AUTOMOTIVE DEALERSHIP VOID YOUR WARRANTY?
Your rights are protected through the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 USC, 2302, and the Clean Air Act, 42 USA § 7541.

You have the right to buy high-quality, reliable aftermarket performance and replacement parts – an affordable and convenient alternative to the vehicle maker’s parts.
You have the right to use high-quality aftermarket parts and know that your new car warranty claims will be honored. In fact, your vehicle dealer may not reject a warranty claim simply because an aftermarket product is present. A warranty denial in such circumstances may be proper only if the aftermarket part caused the failure being claimed.
You have the right to patronize independent retail stores for vehicle parts and installation. The U.S. aftermarket offers the world’s finest selection of aftermarket products that satisfy the most discriminating customers seeking personalized vehicles for today’s lifestyle.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealer’s refusal.

If you would like further information on what to do and who to call if your new car warranty is denied, call the Federal Trade Commission at 202-326-3128.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:37 PM

No, It does not void the warranty. I strongly suggest you DO NOT have the dealer do the install unless they are familiar with doing aftermarket, non-Toyota part installations. Or unless you personally know and trust the work of a particular Toyota Technician. I foolishly had my dealer do a number of mods after they assured me they were competent to do the work. I was originally going to take my truck to an offroad specialty shop for the work, but the dealer offered me a price that was too good to be true. They did the OME lift, front and rear bumpers, quickshifter, headers, TRD CAI, and exhaust for less than $900. When I got the truck back, I inspected the work and noticed some VERY sloppy work (Loose hardware, Missing hardware, Improper exhaust installation, Improper Quickshifter installation..... The only work I didn't end up redoing myself or having redone professionally was the headers. EVERY other thing they did had to be redone. The level of incompetence displayed in the quality of the work was shocking. I am a novice at best when it comes to mechanics and I DID do a better job than the techs at the dealership. I'm sure there are plenty of really good Toyota Techs out there who take pride in their work and do a good job. Just make sure you have one of them working on your truck if you let the dealer do aftermarket work. I suggest you either do ALL work yourself, or take it to a reputable Offroad specialty business.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:40 PM

You would be hard pressed to get a dealer to cover CV joints when you are running spacers and larger tires.

But generally, unless an aftermarket part was the cause of the component failure, the MM act should protect you. If you put a non TRD blower on your FJ and you start getting Lean codes, Toyota isnt, and shouldnt, help you.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:25 PM

After market mods do open the door to a hassle, but it is up to the auto manufacturer to prove a mod broke something before they can say they won't warranty it. Bottom line is it can be a hassle to fight, hopefully you have a good service center.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Athena Send a message via MSN to Athena Send a message via Yahoo to Athena
Lifetime Supporting Member

I think the real question here and that needs to be direct..is... does the manufacturers' warranty cover what the aftermarket item replaced... not the whole vehicles warranty. They can only warranty the aftermarket item if they install it.. if you or another company installed it... it's on you or the other company... everything else should be covered.... now when it comes to a mod or after market messing something else up...then it could get messy.

Intergalactic Planetary Invader of FJ Interwebz ~ EVIL TRUNK MONKEY

silly boy, gonna make you cry

^^^click it.. you know you wanna

"... I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ..."

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in