The first $2000 - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Re: The first $2000

Great pics love the post to good info uphill

LIFE IS HARD. IT'S HARDER IF YOUR STUPID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
StHarris previously said: View Post
You had an aftermarket bolt that was longer, and greaseable. What were the names of these bolts and where do you get them?
Sorry about the problem with your All Pro lower control arms. I had a problem with mine too, which is why I recommend Man-A-Fre. Currie grease-able bolts. Currie Enterprises - Rear Ends, Jeep Parts, 4x4 Parts, Ford 9 Inch Rear Ends

Quote:
StHarris previously said: View Post
You also don't want to be embarrassed when your asked to get out your shackles and strap so that someone can help YOU get out of a situation that YOU got yourself into . . . it's doubly worse when it's in front of Uphill
No, what would be worse is if it happened again after having experienced it and if you were unprepared. There are a lot of people on this forum learning (including me) and you never appreciate what you need and why you need it until -- YOU NEED IT.

Quote:
GTKrockeTT previously said: View Post
what's scary is that one can do (and should) all these mods, and to the casual observor, it will still look like a stock vehicle...assuming nothing else has been done.
My pet peeve (and it's nobody's fault) is guys who do the bling stuff before taking care of what is necessary to get them home. In most cases those guys don't know better. However that's what the forum is about: discussing needful things.

Quote:
Sean K. previously said: View Post
Hey Larry,
Where are the above two pics from?
That's Holcomb Creek - that's the run you were going to join us on last summer!! Unfortunately that trail is closed, likely for the remainder of the year. It has a lot of the same features as John Bull. Because trails change from year to year and during the year and because last winter was so wet, I have no idea what John Bull looks like this year.

There are a lot of rigs that like to run Holcomb Creek. This is one example of a traffic jam on a narrow trail.

Tony, that is Deep Creek from the bottom of the waterfall looking up. I think when you did that run with Marlin you came DOWN the falls.

Another Deep Creek photo. Sean I think that Deep Creek Trail is closed too but I'm not sure on that.

Quote:
gunsnrose previously said: View Post
Great pics love the post to good info uphill
Thanks.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

post #23 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first $2000 goes to Chevron and Shell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Air2air previously said: View Post
My first $2000 goes to Chevron and Shell
When you own a Starship FJ, the price of rocket fuel is insignificant. Did NASA complain about the cost of fuel for the Apollo 11 mission? Not after they built the space ship...

See what I mean? 2K for fuel is chicken feed when you have a Lunar buggy!
Nasser_1994 and TALON316 like this.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

post #25 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
uphill previously said: View Post
My philosophy is "getting home". The Scorpion was modified not to be glamorous or make a statement but to get me home at the end of the day.
I'm even safer. It's easiest to get home... if you always stay home. That's why I own an FJC, but always make sure it's either 1. in the shop or 2. i screw up my schedule so I can't go on trips.

This may seem easy to the untrained eye, but it takes a lot of effort to always make sure that whilst I own an FJC, I never actually end up being able to drive it.

And it's cost a lot more than $2k.

"<Simplify the world to a ridiculous degree, then state as a pithy one sentence quote to create illusion of deep insight>" - <insert attribution>

"The English, lacking a soul of their own, must move through the world in search of those of others." - paraphrased Bedouin judgement, as related by Colin Thubron.
post #26 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
pokerDawg previously said: View Post
Geez...I wish MAF would do a "stimulus package" group buy for this item.

You think if I say it enough they'll do it??

Maybe if Mir207 says it.....it'll happen
I'm trying to coax something for Ouray - but don't tell anyone and anyway, probably won't happen. But I am trying

"<Simplify the world to a ridiculous degree, then state as a pithy one sentence quote to create illusion of deep insight>" - <insert attribution>

"The English, lacking a soul of their own, must move through the world in search of those of others." - paraphrased Bedouin judgement, as related by Colin Thubron.
post #27 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming

Very nice post Larry.

Getting home is paramount. Doesn't matter the mods if you can't get home. Maybe a little bit of budget should go into some education about wheeling and recovery. Some basic knowledge can save a lot of money. You know, like don't turn on a steep hill, don't stop in loose terrain, don't hit the brakes hard on a steep down hill, etc.

I do recognize the Dishpan pic. Up and down look so different though. That waterfall was something else. One would think the lower section challenging, but once you've done the waterfall, those are nothing but little bumps.

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar
post #28 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Forum Veteran

Thanks for the good info. As always that's why I love this forum... Can anybody coax...I mean convince MAF to have a group buy for the LCA's...I do have some economic stimulus money that needs to be spent.

2007 Voodoo Blue A/T 4x4
post #29 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 AM

Thanks for this post. I wasn't aware of the lower control arm problem. I'm adding that to imediate wish list. I'm ordering skid plates Friday. Maybe I can order the control arms then??
post #30 of 176 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
uphill previously said: View Post

That's Holcomb Creek - that's the run you were going to join us on last summer!! Unfortunately that trail is closed, likely for the remainder of the year. It has a lot of the same features as John Bull. Because trails change from year to year and during the year and because last winter was so wet, I have no idea what John Bull looks like this year.

There are a lot of rigs that like to run Holcomb Creek. This is one example of a traffic jam on a narrow trail.

Tony, that is Deep Creek from the bottom of the waterfall looking up. I think when you did that run with Marlin you came DOWN the falls.

Another Deep Creek photo. Sean I think that Deep Creek Trail is closed too but I'm not sure on that.

Thanks.
Thanks for the info. Too bad Holcomb is closed. Oh well...maybe another time.

Thanks again,
Sean

"I too pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice."-Defender

Building a Trail Rig (IMO): https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...l-rig-imo.html

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in