integrated/non-integrated winch mount?? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
integrated/non-integrated winch mount??

Hey everyone.

I am new to winch's and was wondering what integrated and non-integrated mean. I am looking at the Road Armor titan front bumper with the winch mount. I see that they offer there bumpers with integrated and non-integrated winch mounts. It sounds like integrated would mean the winch attach's to the bumper and non-itegrated would attach to the frame. Its just a guess but could someone please let me know. Sorry if this has been posted some where else, I have been reading posts for the past few hours and did not see it any where.
Thanks
Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Forum Veteran

Re: integrated/non-integrated winch mount??

Quote:
MTK Cruiser previously said: View Post
Hey everyone.

I am new to winch's and was wondering what integrated and non-integrated mean. I am looking at the Road Armor titan front bumper with the winch mount. I see that they offer there bumpers with integrated and non-integrated winch mounts. It sounds like integrated would mean the winch attach's to the bumper and non-itegrated would attach to the frame. Its just a guess but could someone please let me know. Sorry if this has been posted some where else, I have been reading posts for the past few hours and did not see it any where.
Thanks
Richie
Welcome to the forum:
50 views and no response so I'll take a stab at it even tho I'm not YET a winch owner
For the sake of clarification: integrated winches are winches in which the control box (solenoid) is part of the winch body itself. This makes them larger and therefore, sometimes incompatible with different aftermarket bumpers. In contrast, the non-integrated winches have a separate solenoid which can be located on the bumper above the winch or (usually with extra wiring) in the engine compartment. This allows the winch itself to be smaller and therefore more compatible with most aftermarket bumpers. Hope this helps.

PS anyone else please feel free to correct and/or expound upon my feeble summary

Painted headlight bezel, Series 87 steelies with 255/85-16 Maxxis Bighorns, BMC, ARB full length rack, 60" hi-lift, OME Heavies on all 4 corners, Budbuilts front to back, OEM sliders, Scuba Driver mods, Upper and Lower rear Digger Links, TRD CAI, All-Pro High Clearance tailpipe, Custom Built Rear Shelf, Hacked Rear Diff Lock, VSC on-off switch, Custom Expedition One Front Bumper, EPi 9000lb winch with synthetic line, and lots of manual recovery gear and tools.
SOLD

Last edited by WyoOtto; 05-08-2008 at 03:01 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Forum Superstar

I'm pretty sure WyoOtto has it right.

1 Bored Clerk

Inchworm Gear E-Locker Guard

It would be great if I had a clue, but let's face it, that's just not gonna happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Also take into consideration that most bumpers that accept an integrated solenoid winch are going to be bigger bulkier bumpers. Since the solenoid body would normally sit on top of the winch the winch mount and or bumper has to be mounted out further from the grill and the winch will sit lower and ultimately the whole bumper hangs lower to the ground reducing ground clearance, approach angle, and increasing the times you are going to be banging into something with it. Look at the bumpers that use remote mounted solenoid bodies and you will see bumpers that are more form fitting to the front of the FJ and greatly increase ground clearance and approach angle. There are quality bumpers made in both styles this is just something else to pay attention to when bumper shopping.

JonB
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Forum Master

Yep ^ those descriptions are accurate... but lets make it "visual"...

Non-integrated solenoid; these fit in the Demello, Allpro, etc.

Integrated solenoid; these don't fit in the Demello type (sleak, light) bumpers. You'll need a bigger heaver Warn or ARB type...

6-Speed, OME 3", 285/70s on Body-matched Steelies, Demello Bumper, M8000, TG Sliders, AllPro Skid, AllPro High-Clearance Tailpipe, D3, BajaRack

Last edited by Manhattan; 05-11-2008 at 05:20 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the replys guys. I am looking at getting a RA titan bumper.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 11:21 PM

FYI - With the RA Titan you also get to purchase or fabricate a mounting plate for most integrated units (Warn 9.5ti included). So you can add another $150+ to your RA Titan bumper cost....

MY07 FJ Cruiser: Blk Dia w/Mono Roof|4x4|5A/T|FE|CQ|GY|RB|UR|CF|EL|TC|VIP|
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Sorry but the ARB bumper needs a winch that allows the solenoids to me mounted on top of the bumper not intergrated in the winch.

GRAMPS TOY: 07 BD "C" Package, 5Spd Auto, Hood Deflector, Vent Shades, Pass. ArmRst, SS Grille Inserts, Black Tundra Handles, Bushwacker Flares, Real Tree WetOkole's. FJ Freedom Windows, Springtail MPac,

OFF ROAD MODS: ARB Winch Bumper, KC Daylighters, PIAA 510 Fogs, K&N Filter, 12,000 lb. Titan Winch w/syn line, Icon Remote Res Frt Shocks w Light Racing Upper Control Arms (Metal Tech) Rasta 4x4 Ally skids, Pro-Comp 7028's (powdercoated white) & Goodyear 285 x 17 MT/R's, SpyderTrax Spacers. AFE 3" High Tuck Cat Back, AFE CAI,(FJoel) Rigid 20" Light Bar, Metal Tech Red Eye R Bumper

ORIGINAL FJ:71 FJ4040 yrs ago) 350 Chevy V8 Conv., 4Spd GMC Truck Tranny, (IT BURNTUP)

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in