what do you guys think? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
what do you guys think?

Hey everyone.
Just ordered my RA titan w/winch mount and will be placing my lift order tomorrow. I think I am going with the Old Man Emu lift. My question is what would you go with firm or mediums up front. The bumper and winch combo will be around 200 pounds. I don't tow much so I was thinking firm up front med in the back. My 2nd question is I was thinking going with a 285/70/17. Do you think I will have any probs rubbing. I am going to cut the body mount but not reweld it. What it seems is there is no benifit from rewelding the end. Seems like alot of work lifting the body mounts so you don't heat them when welding them.
Thanks
Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Sky
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: what do you guys think?

I went with the heavy on the front and mediums on the rear myself (FabFour bumper, Warn Powerplant winch). With the weight of the bumper and winch you are going to need the heavy IMO.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I went with 885s up front and toytec customs in the rear i have a fabfours with xd9000 . oh and kiss your gas mileage goodbye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Quote:
MTK Cruiser previously said: View Post
Hey everyone.
Just ordered my RA titan w/winch mount and will be placing my lift order tomorrow. I think I am going with the Old Man Emu lift. My question is what would you go with firm or mediums up front. The bumper and winch combo will be around 200 pounds. I don't tow much so I was thinking firm up front med in the back. My 2nd question is I was thinking going with a 285/70/17. Do you think I will have any probs rubbing. I am going to cut the body mount but not reweld it. What it seems is there is no benifit from rewelding the end. Seems like alot of work lifting the body mounts so you don't heat them when welding them.
Thanks
Richie
You don't have to weld a plate over the cut! I burnt my gromets and cut once more after trying to put 40's in place of my 35's, just make sure you file the sharp edges!

Fabtech 6" 20'BBS
Cooper STT 37" M/T,2:00 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy All pro M-1 bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill,Yukon4:56
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You will want the heavy coils for sure with that setup. Also, you want to weld a plate onto the frame mount chop. Leaving it uncapped defeats the purpose of having a boxed frame. My buddy is a good friend of one of the toyota engineers who works near ann arbor. He said you must weld a plate onto the end to maintain the structural integrity of the frame. For your average road driver, it isn't a big deal, but if you go off road you will want that boxed for sure. I'll talk to my buddy for a better explanation of why it is necessary. It also makes it look much better, and isn't a ton of extra work anyhow. But there are indeed benefits to rewelding the ends where you make the cut.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in