Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Unbelievably Cool RockTek Rear Lights

69K views 164 replies 75 participants last post by  81N4RY 
#1 · (Edited)
Inasmuch as I hated the bulbous OEM rear light covers as much (or more) than anyone, I decided to do something about it. Justin Holt at RockTek Engineering had previously designed and fabbed my tube front bumper and plate rear bumper, as well as my sliders and lower control arm skids, so I had him see what he could come up with to replace the rear lights. The following pictures are the result. They're metal with a very bright LED light, and they conform to the body lines much better than the OEM covers. When I say they look much better in person than they do in the pictures I'm not exaggerating. I don't know what the final retail price will be but as soon as it's determined I'll post it. I do know they'll be available painted to match the FJ color.

Jim

See less See more
#8 ·
They look kinda cool, lets see them lit up!!!:rocker:

#10 ·
Can you take pictures from further back?

#13 · (Edited)
I can't believe I missed your rig at the summit, Jim. I wanted to check out the cool bumpers, but I'm sure the lights look awesome, too...

Edit: And, I was aiming as best as I could... Hey, we're making plans for the next M&G in Dallas for next month. Maybe you'll be there and I can see the mods then.

#18 ·
If I recall Texas DOT specs correctly, the lens color means nothing - the light is what counts (that's why all of those funky clear lenses pass yearly inspections).

Reflectors, however, are a different story. Red in the back (or rearward portion of vehicle), yellow in front.

#19 · (Edited)
Look Great Jim, I gotta talk to Justin about those.. He told me of them when he was doing my body mount chop, they turned out great!

Tx Inspections are iffy... I just got mine inspected and was told you 'failed' Reasoning: LED's, Blacked out lens, and a modified exhaust that lets out under the FJ.. Took it to place #2: passed, no questions....

#20 ·
Unlike the bumper, which has still not been made except yours
Unfortunately, his laser cutter requires quantities of at least 10 or the cost is prohibitive......and Justin doesn't have the resources to produce quantities like that without them being pre-sold. Hopefully the situation will resolve itself shortly; that way Johathon (BeerHat) and myself won't be the only ones driving around with one of the bumpers, since I think they're one of the top bumpers out there.

Jim

#23 ·
One thing I love about the OEM tail light is that it gives me a place to rest my arm, a drink or anything that will fit up there while I fill the gas tank up. Here on base there are no little lock deals to hold the gas for you so you have to stand back there and squeeze. SO I usually put an elbow up on the tail light and scratch my head as the gas bill gets higher and higher.
I like your lights a lot.

#27 · (Edited)
I would buy a set if they were rounded with the body and flush. but the way they are now is kinda to similar to the stock ones, Redesign them round with the fender and flush and repost so we can see a different style please. good invention though..!

#29 ·
Must still be raining down there! :lol: C'mon Jim, I'm dying to see what these look like from further away & at nite!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.