Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Want traction control on your new FJ Cruiser?

8K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  lemony 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this is true or not but someone should check it this article that my friend found:

THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU HAVE A 4 WHEEL DRIVE WITH E-LOCKER IN THE REAR.

Want traction control on your new FJ Cruiser? This is what you need. Toyota charged $2600 for this as Upgrade package. You have all of the mechanisms and harness in your vehicle for the traction control except the switch. All FJ Cruisers came down the same line, if they had the upgrade package, they installed this switch and it gives them traction control. This switch is easy and simple to install. Simply remove the cover and the wiring is there. This is a must have for any of us without traction control. This allows the driver to turn on traction control which tells the vehicle to brake the wheels that are spinning and send torque to those that are not.

#2 ·
#3 ·
There are several threads on doing the ATRAC hack!

cheers,

dale

#4 ·
Oh yeah, I guess I could've just said that.

BTW, welcome to the site, KINCONG. Make yourself at home and poke around a bit. TONS of stuff to discover here. Enjoy!:cheers:

#6 ·
Well the ATRAC hack and the switch install are 2 different things. I have a late 07 model where both work together but I wish I would of known that ATRAC was already installed in the 4wd /w locker and the extra 2 g's went to plug in a 50 dollar button. I got gotten.

#11 ·
While you are relatively new here, this news is not. (Although everyone appreciates your effort - it never hurts to post cool info). :cheers:

You are referring to the A-Trac system, which is pre-wired in all the FJCs that were equipped with rear E-Locker and no A-trac switch from the factory. If so equipped, you can just add the switch and you'll have A-Trac available. The $2600 upgrade packages include a lot more than just A-trac, so the value is a little off.

This is different than the A-Trac Hack, which allows the rear locker and A-Trac system to work at the same time - now a moot mod as all late '07s (TRD models) and newer come so equipped...

#13 ·
Earlier models will not allow them to work at the same time. You had to chose either atrac or lockers. The "hack" was made so that you can use them at the same time.

#17 ·
Well, the newer members that have the later model FJs shouldn't have to worry about the hack, but if they happen to get the earlier ones, then this would probably be a good thing to mention.:bandit:

#18 ·
Hey boy's have a look at this neat product from TRD parts 4 u .com

FJ Cruiser A-TRAC switch
(Part #84988-35060)

Regular Price: $ 65.62
On Sale For: $55.00

THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU HAVE A 4 WHEEL DRIVE WITH E-LOCKER IN THE REAR.
Want traction control on your new FJ Cruiser? This is what you need. Toyota charged $2600 for this as Upgrade package. You have all of the mechanisms and harness in your vehicle for the traction control except the switch. All FJ Cruisers came down the same line, if they had the upgrade package, they installed this switch and it gives them traction control. This switch is easy and simple to install. Simply remove the cover and the wiring is there. This is a must have for any of us without traction control. This allows the driver to turn on traction control which tells the vehicle to brake the wheels that are spinning and send torque to those that are not.

#19 ·
No atrac or lockers here and never had a problem keeping up with the rest....:cheers:

#20 ·
an ARB button is way better than an A-TRAC button. I don't like waiting for the A-CLANK to start clanking n banging so I can keep moving, ARB (easy) button just push n go.

"No atrac or lockers here and never had a problem keeping up with the rest...."
try the rubicon trail, you won't be keepin up, I'm locked at both ends and wasn't keepin up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.