Trail gear vs OEM Sliders - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Re: Trail gear vs OEM Sliders

ouch the freight was $205. compare to Pure FJ which is $85...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)

Quote:
frankinnola previously said: View Post
ouch the freight was $205. compare to Pure FJ which is $85...
wow...yeah...there is your answer. Wait for free shipping or reasonable shipping on sliders.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Question Re: Trail gear vs OEM Sliders

Quote:
...my only concern was having a slider that could also function as a step.
My wife is a tad 'challenged' so i would worry with her slipping on the slider or getting her foot stuck...
If you have kids or anyone with small feet then I wouldn't get the Pures, they have a pretty big gap where a foot could slip through and someone could get hurt.
It wasn't a problem for my size 14's though and I never used them as steps because I'm really tall.

You can see the gap better in this photo.
I took this a couple weeks after installing them on my FJ, like 2 years ago.
They actually use this photo on their website somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5054.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	926634  

LSSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 07:27 PM

thanks, going to save up for the metal tech...getting my recovery gear together and will not be doing any rock climbing - mud roads and logging roads....
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Wink Re: Trail gear vs OEM Sliders

It always amuses me when people say things like "Oh I'm not planning on taking it off road, it's just a mall crawler" or "I'm never going on anything hard or any rough trails".

Inevitably, they get in a group with their friends or a local 4x4 club and end up going over and through obstacles and places they never would have imagined (alone).
Also most people don't consider the fact that sometimes trails change. You go in one way, then it rains, making the trail completely different.
Or, someone else breaks down and blocks the trail you were planning to use, so you are forced to take an alternate route, one much more difficult than you planned.
Its better to overbuild just in case, better to have tools and protection and never need them.

LSSC

Last edited by 81N4RY; 09-04-2017 at 11:19 PM.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)

Quote:
thanks, going to save up for the metal tech...getting my recovery gear together and will not be doing any rock climbing - mud roads and logging roads....
Check out the Shrockworks sliders. They are located in Houston and survived the hurricane. you might be able to save on shipping by picking them up since I assume from your name you are in New Orleans, LA. They currently have a group buy over at Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum with 15% discount. Discount code is good through Monday. Can get bare or powdercoated and with/without dimpled treadplates. Their powdercoating price is very inexpensive at $79 and saves a lot of effort.

They make some good stuff for FJs at competitive prices.

No affiliation with them. I did buy my sliders and sliders for daughter's 3rd gen 4runner from them last year.

Last edited by SilvFx; 09-02-2017 at 08:22 PM.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:22 AM

SilvFx, thanks for the suggestion - those sliders may be the ticket budget and function wise. I just tested the code and it appears to work without joining 4runner. the shipping is reasonable to NOLA.

8in4RY, I understand totally and agree to have the FJ setup to handle most situations. I was trying to keep the 1st upgrades and recovery accessories under 2K budget that I promised the wife. I went on some of the other roads with my nephew on 4 wheeler and those are real primitive and match up with what you describe.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

SO I went with the Pure FJ Sliders, I ordered them along with the A-trac button on Friday! Now I am eagerly awaiting!

Also totally off topic whats a good way to easily test the A-trac system something I can setup easily where the diff lock would not help only the A-trac, any ideas?

Thanks for all the help everyone
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
rakhan previously said: View Post
SO I went with the Pure FJ Sliders, I ordered them along with the A-trac button on Friday! Now I am eagerly awaiting!

Also totally off topic whats a good way to easily test the A-trac system something I can setup easily where the diff lock would not help only the A-trac, any ideas?

Not really sure of a test situation. When it engages you'll hear a clicking noise as it pumps the brakes to gain traction. It's a very distinctive noise. Also the dash light should illuminate once it's engaged, and since it's all electronically controlled if the computer says you're good it should be functional.

My Build: WHOOP '12

Special thanks to the following vendors:
-Ricochet Offroad
-Metal-Tech
-TRDparts4U
-URD
-Brave Motorsports
-FJNewb
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

Quote:
rakhan previously said: View Post

You'd have to get diagonal going across a ditch, so that for example, front-left and rear-right are the tires mainly on the ground (they'd be stuffed into the wheel wells). At that point ATRAC will brake the two wheels that are hovering over the ditch and not making good traction. It would buzz and vibrate, and then the two wheels that are stuffed will drive you out.

In that same scenario, ATRAC off, you lock the diff. Since you have ONE rear tire stuffed (hard on ground) and the other over the ditch, both rear tires will equally spin and drive you out while the front wheel that doesn't have traction still tried to spin.

ATRAC can be better than diff lock when there are adjacent objects. In that previous scenario where you are over a ditch diagonally....if there is a tree right next to your truck and you are just using diff lock...it very well may want to "drift" over towards the tree since both rear wheels are locked (kind of like a burnout in slow motion - If your RWD car is burning rubber, but on a sideways incline...its gonna scoot sideways). ATRAC will help this by using the FRONT traction of the one tire on the ground to PULL the truck out of the ditch hopefully in a straighter line.

EDIT: found the picture

I had an example of this one of my first times out. I found out my truck was an early 07 where the ATRAC did NOT work with the diff lock engaged (I hacked it to fix the issue later)

So in the picture, my front right tire obviously has no traction. My rear left down in that gully also doesn't. just barely touching mud.

I had my diff locked so my ATRAC wasn't working...I needed ATRAC to force the front tire and rear tire that were still hard on the ground to spin. Instead, my locked rear started pushing the truck over towards a tree you cant really see in the pic and we had to strap it and pull me up. That front tire on the ground just did NOTHING, as it would have if ATRAC was active (even with Diff Lock) to apply brakes to that wheel up in the air and force traction to the grounded tire.

-Adam

'07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

TLCA #22985
295s | 3" | BL | Lights | Armor | Rails | Snorkel | CB | Dent(s)
Feb. 2017 Member of the Month
In the Midwest? OHIO FJ Owners

Last edited by iwashmycar; 09-05-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in