Slider rejuvenation - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

9Likes
  • 3 Post By DubstepPear
  • 2 Post By Kansas Law Dog
  • 4 Post By mikey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Slider rejuvenation

My Trail Gear sliders are starting to get rusty in spots, mainly in the tight angled corners. At first I was thinking about taking them off and getting them sandblasted and powder coated. Then I thought that maybe a better option would be to take them off and have them Line-Xed or Rhinolined in black. Figured the bed coating would make the whole thing non slip for anyone using it as a step (my wife) where the powdercoat would be slippery and need friction tape applied. I'm not a rock crawler so I'm not sliding them over rocks that would wear off whatever coating I put on them.

Any suggestions, advice of experience with the same?

2008 Sandstorm 4X4 auto, OF, CQ, C7, RF, Tuffy Center Console, Trail Gear sliders

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:25 AM
Admin

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Slider rejuvenation

Linex is slippery when wet as well... at least the stuff I've seen.

I just cleaned my sliders up the best I could and sprayed them with a spray can of Rustoleum.

If I had the time and spare coin I would simply remove them and get them re-powdercoated with a good zinc primer as well.... then touch 'em up with a spray can when needed.

It's always nice to make 'em pretty whenever I want with a spray can.... no matter how scratched I get them with my boots, etc.... (and the rocks of course on the underside but that won't be a factor for you)

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Garage

Mine started to rust at the welds, I too opted for rattle can as a quick way to keep them touched up.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:31 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Garage

I use the rustoleum bedliner spray cans. It's tough, easy to touch up, and cheap (<$10 can).
Tonka Cruiser, thane and FJX2000 like this.

NESSIE, 2011 NSSE edition

-DO steel rally bumper
-IronMan FCP coilovers
-OME/MetalTech cheap LT rear
-285/70r17 Cooper STT Pro tires
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Sounds good, thanks. Keep it simple!

2008 Sandstorm 4X4 auto, OF, CQ, C7, RF, Tuffy Center Console, Trail Gear sliders

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I vote rattle can of black Rustoleum. The powder coat on mine started flaking off 9-10 years ago. Place a piece of cardboard between the sliders and rocker panels and blackem' out. Don't worry about the appearance of sliders, there are supposed to have battle scars.
Winterpeg and debFJVT like this.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:23 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Teikas Dad previously said: View Post
My Trail Gear sliders are starting to get rusty in spots, mainly in the tight angled corners. At first I was thinking about taking them off and getting them sandblasted and powder coated. Then I thought that maybe a better option would be to take them off and have them Line-Xed or Rhinolined in black. Figured the bed coating would make the whole thing non slip for anyone using it as a step (my wife) where the powdercoat would be slippery and need friction tape applied. I'm not a rock crawler so I'm not sliding them over rocks that would wear off whatever coating I put on them.

Any suggestions, advice of experience with the same?
I took the Line-X route with my old Trail Gear sliders. I bought them a long time ago (6-8 yrs?) and installed them powdercoated as they came from TG. Last year I had rust starting to show pretty bad at the welds and the powdercoat was starting to flake off in places. Also, as you note, they were quite slick when they got wet which wasn't a problem for me, but it was for my wife, my parents when they visited, and some others. My buddy actually helped make the decision for me............he had just bought a new Tacoma and purchased a set of sliders in a Group Buy. He took his to get Line-X'ed and I decided to tag along. So I took mine off and let Line-X take care of them. Couldn't be happier, and neither could my wife (which is important).
Like you, I'm not crawling over rocks everyday, so it wasn't unreasonable to go the Line-X route. If I were someone that did play in the rocks often, I likely wouldn't have went the Line-X route. But I'm not. So I did.

2007 FJ, 4x4, AT
*Demello Aluminum Rally Bumper*Warrior Products Flat Roof Rack*17" TRD Pro Wheels w/285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers*OME/Toytec 3" Lift*Trail Gear Sliders*Doug Thorley Y-Pipe*AFE High Tuck Cat Back*TRD Intake*Ellis Precision Everything*Springtail Solutions Racks*OrangeBoxx Side Rack & Foot Rest*Industrial Forming Console Cover*TT Door Handles w/o Keyholes*Pioneer Head Unit*Wicked CAS Box w/JL Audio 12W3*JL Audio JX500/1
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:51 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey

What to do.....mine need a refurb but I'm torn:

My Teutonic OCD says remove them, sandblast, powder coat with a primer.

My Wallet says - rattle can 'em with careful aim

My Oldman way - trying to remove them after 7 years could be a PITA and possible broken bolts etc due to rust so I'll buy some penetrant and liberally soak all offending components.....forget about the project. Start over 3 months later......rinse and repeat.
Winterpeg, FJX2000, Joabmc and 1 others like this.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:15 AM
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Garage

Yeah when my All Pro sliders get scratched or show rust I just sand it a bit and hit it with matte black Rustoleum. Not sure what the previous owner did with them (probably powdercoat).

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in