A-Trac. Should I be picky over this? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
4x4 / Off-Road Tech This section contains all discussion related to taking the FJ Cruiser in Off-Road situations, 4x4 applications and any armor modifications.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: A-Trac. Should I be picky over this?

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
Depending on the terrain you're planning on using the truck in, you may find that the ATRAC is much more useful than the locker. Every little time you lift a tire and have to back up and give it more gas, the ATRAC lets you get through without having to back up or hit an obstacle faster.

The main limitation for ATRAC is in those specific situations where you need wheel speed, like mud.

I've been offroading extensively here in Colorado -- mostly pointy rocks -- since 2011 and have used the rear locker in my trucks maybe 6-7 times. The rest of the time, ATRAC is good enough to get me through / over whatever shows up.

Congrats on the new ride!
The great Jimmy-Buffett responded to my post? It's an honor! I ready so many of your forum posts before I bought my FJ that my wife was ready to quit me! Your posts are extremely helpful and before I end up picking a suspension lift, I'm sure I'll revisit some of your posts to make sure I purchase the right one. Thanks for all the info!
Winterpeg and jimmy-buffett like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

The ATRAC switch (button) can only be added to 4x4 (4 wheel drive) FJ's with rear differential lock.

I believe the 4x2 FJ's could be optioned with a rear differential lock, but Traction Control would not work and with basically meaningless. A 4x4 (either automatic or manual) is required.

Just a small clarification, as I assume you are looking at 4 wheel drive capability. Some people did get the 4x2 model, but most regretted ordering it. Fortunately, only about 10% of the 2 wheel drive models were built.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
kuiucale previously said: View Post
The great Jimmy-Buffett responded to my post? It's an honor! I ready so many of your forum posts before I bought my FJ that my wife was ready to quit me! Your posts are extremely helpful
Glad to hear it

Quote:
and before I end up picking a suspension lift, I'm sure I'll revisit some of your posts to make sure I purchase the right one.
Which suspension you pick is largely determined by "do you plan on getting a bumper / winch". If no bumper / winch, go with something basic like the Old Man Emu. With a bumper / winch you'll want height adjustable coilovers (to re-level the truck once you add the bumper weight), the good baselines are either the Toytec Ultimate or Toytec Boss. But there are plenty of options for height adjustable coilover setups.

The kings of the hill for suspensions have remote reservoirs and adjustable rebound / compression settings from companies like King or Fox. For a budget truck these aren't typically worth the money, but the ride quality is unmatched (my '18 4Runner on OME BP-51's rides smoother than my '15 Lexus GS350 sedan). Sadly, ARB doesn't make the OME BP-51's for the '07-09 FJ.

Either way, when you're ready to order parts call Hugo at Toytec (303.255.4959) and drop my name, he'll walk you through the options for your use case and price range.
kuiucale likes this.

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

Complete Guide to Buying and Selling an FJ Cruiser

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:05 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Garage

My 07 has Atrac and a rear locker. I rarely use the Atrac and I use the rear locker all the time. To me no Atrac is not big deal

Steve.... 07 FJ with almost enough mods.... August 2017 Member of the month
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:34 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Just used my rear locker three times this weekend in LA
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:54 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 3281 Post(s)
Garage

Welcome to the forum @kuiucale

Quote:
jimmy-buffett previously said: View Post
Sadly, ARB doesn't make the OME BP-51's for the '07-09 FJ.
Just for the record, Jimmy, I have the '07 with BP51 with two slight modifications to make it work. 2 drilled holes in the rear frame rail that don't exist on early models, they hold the reservoir bracket to the frame. The 2nd, is that the front lower shock mount is 2mm narrower than late model FJs. 2 slight strokes with a 12 oz ball peen hammer opens it up enough for the shock to drop through. We're talking mild steel so not a big deal. 2 years later, no issues and no fatigue.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
CabinCruiser previously said: View Post
Welcome to the forum @kuiucale

Just for the record, Jimmy, I have the '07 with BP51 with two slight modifications to make it work. 2 drilled holes in the rear frame rail that don't exist on early models, they hold the reservoir bracket to the frame. The 2nd, is that the front lower shock mount is 2mm narrower than late model FJs. 2 slight strokes with a 12 oz ball peen hammer opens it up enough for the shock to drop through. We're talking mild steel so not a big deal. 2 years later, no issues and no fatigue.
Thank you! Look forward to learning all I can about modifying this beauty and then getting out there and seeing some places!
CabinCruiser likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:13 AM
トヨダ Master

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 3281 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Thank you! Look forward to learning all I can about modifying this beauty and then getting out there and seeing some places!
Keep a rubber band around your wallet! Modding an FJ can quickly become a disease. They are quite capable in stock form. I'd recommend getting to know it off road and modify accordingly. Post pics and share your adventures often.
Winterpeg, kuiucale and jcwrench like this.

"Silence is Golden......Duct Tape is Silver"

Solitude Allows One to Reflect While Others are Reacting...

Member of the month-October 2017
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

As a fresh FJ owner, mine to did not have the A-trac button but did have the E-locker. If you go for an early model it's really as easy as taking the blank cover out, the connector is even attached to it, hook up the A-track button and you are good to go.

Next thing i did is the no cut A-track + Diff lock hack a feature early models also dont have but is easilly fixed:

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...tml#post280978

Put an on-off switch in between and you can turn off VSC and ABS in 2H, another feature early models dont have but later do. It helps alot if you are on a dirt road or loose sand because if you need the power VSC will cut the power of the engine when it senses you are starting to slide/wheelslip. ABS is another thing you do not want on dirt/sand roads if you need to brake at higher speeds. Flip the switch back and turn everything on again and you are safe again on tarmac in rain and snow.

The hack is completely safe and the benefits are huge, so much so that you wont be needing any other mods for quite a while depending on how hard you are going offroading imho. Take your time making a list and shopping around for good deals on the mods you do want later. Like Cabincruiser said, they are not cheap to mod (properly), like a Jeep Wrangler for instance, do it once and do it good on a FJ, save the money for the best parts you can get. The FJ really does not need alot or anything depending on the type of offroading you do, good AT's or an extra set of Mud tires will take you far and beyond.
Winterpeg and CabinCruiser like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in